Ultimate RC - Forum Archives

PDA
You are viewing an archive version of a topic

Click here to view the full version : ROAR 2wd Stock Buggy Class Motor Limits...

Gimpdiggity
7.17.11, 2:00 am
Hey everyone.

I've been trying to read through the ROAR rules for the last hour, and it's been confusing the heck out of me.

I'm trying to figure out what type of motor is the "limit" for a 2wd 1/10th scale buggy to be able to race in the "stock" class??

I've read that it was 17.5t brushless but then could have sworn that I saw somewhere else that it was 13.5t. However, for the life of me I can't find that 13.5 in the rules again, and the only place I can find mention of it is on a post on another forum.

Also, are brushed motors allowed in the stock class??

I'm going to be getting a 2wd buggy soon, and I would like to build it to ROAR specs so that if I were ever to want to race it, I could without having to change the motor/ESC out and such.

Thanks.

Jeff

theJANG
7.17.11, 4:16 am
Currently it's 17.5 non-ramping.

seth556
7.17.11, 11:13 am
13.5 is often considered "super stock" and some larger tracks have that class. But it's generally too close to mod for most places, heck boosted 17.5 isn't much slower than mod.

Roar says 17.5t without boost or turbo, although most club races allow boost in the stock class (which is silly in my opinion, but I'm going to continue boosting my motors to the moon until they change the rules).

purplelambo95
7.17.11, 12:28 pm
13.5 is often considered "super stock" and some larger tracks have that class. But it's generally too close to mod for most places, heck boosted 17.5 isn't much slower than mod.

Roar says 17.5t without boost or turbo, although most club races allow boost in the stock class (which is silly in my opinion, but I'm going to continue boosting my motors to the moon until they change the rules).

What does "boosting" necessarily do or mean? How do you do it? Probably with a Novak link or programming right?

federally
7.17.11, 12:46 pm
Boost or CHEAT is adjusting timing settings to make the motor go faster. They are options available on adjustable Escs like the MMP. Exactly what it's called depends on which esc brand you buy and whetheryour sensored or sensorless. CHEAT mode on the MMP runs the motor at normal timing until it hits a certain Rpm then increases timing to get more top end. This allows smooth low end control and higher top speeds.

@Gimp instead of sifting through ROAR rules why don't you find the track you're gonna race at and look at their rules. A large majority of tracks don't follow ROAR rules to the letter and have their own sets of rules. Club racing tends to need to be more accesable and not outlaw as many racers so the rules usually are much looser.

Typically 17.5t is stock and 13.5t is mod then anything lower goes into an open class. However most tracks just don't have the turnout to run a class for everyone and if there arent a lot of guys racing 1/10 2wd buggys around you chancws are there may just be a 2wd buggy open class that lets everyone in so there are always enough racers. So check your local track! Plus they usually list the rules in a much simpler easier to read manner.

seth556
7.17.11, 1:40 pm
Turbo on the Tekin is basically the same as the "cheat mode" on the mmp where when the motor has been running at full throttle at a certain length of time it bumps the timing up by whatever has been set. Useful for tracks with long straights and lots of speed. Pretty useless on smaller tracks.

Boost is where the ESC boosts the timing on the motor by a certain amount for every so many rpms. So it basically starts at a lower timing so you have more torque, then as you go through the powerband it bumps the timing up so you have a higher top end.

Non-ramping or no-boost or fixed timing classes don't allow you do use the boost or turbo functions so everyone runs the same timing on their speed controls. To further that some of the big races have fixed timing hand out motors, so everyone should have the same amount of power, the only differences possibly being gearing and drivetrain frictions.

Gimpdiggity
7.17.11, 5:49 pm
Thanks for the tips guys.

I have put a message in to the track I would probably go to asking what they're requirements for stock 2wd buggies are.

I'll hold off on buying any kind of combo for the buggy until I hear back from them.

seth556
7.17.11, 6:49 pm
Well the Trinity D3 motor is a good choice ether way.