Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
PetRock - 4.29.12, 8:33 am Post #31: | Reply With Quote
Another take on things: my Redcat with a Pro-Line Volkswagen body, Traxxas rims, and Pro-Line Badlands 2.8" tires:

I'm still waiting for some suspension bits to arrive (E-revo springs for the stock shocks), and taller body mounts, then this will be my 4wd basher for the next few weeks!
"Regular user"
Xslash insanity - 4.29.12, 8:45 am Post #32: | Reply With Quote
Shiny................
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 4.29.12, 5:01 pm Post #33: | Reply With Quote
that's awesome!
Club Racer: SCT + eBuggy + Spec Slash + 17.5T Buggy + GT8e + USGT + VTA + 17.5T TC
Basher:
Monster Trucks + Crawlers + Drifters + Motorcycles

"Experienced user"
PetRock - 5.20.12, 6:58 pm Post #34: | Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, I ordered this about a week before the Tacon 3674's came back in stock at HobbyPartz, so I paid more for this Leopard from Ebay. bah! 3674/2650kv:

The green motor installed is a Tacon 3500kv 3650: there's room for a 3660-sized motor with no modifications, but it looked like I could Dremel the clearance for the 3674 so I ran with it (will run it on 3s). I also had to order some new 32p 5mm pinions for the larger shaft: will post more when I get it installed.
"Experienced user"
PetRock - 6.25.12, 8:32 pm Post #35: | Reply With Quote
OK, it took me a month to get around to putting it in, but here's how you squeeze a 3674 motor into a Caldera

(Last edited by PetRock : 11.18.12 at 7:23 pm)
"Experienced user"
PetRock - 7.15.12, 6:12 pm Post #36: | Reply With Quote
Larger motor, hooray! Wheelies and 4-wheel spins, fantastic!

Gearbox full of liquid metal shavings, boooooo!

For now I'll consider myself unlucky and just repair it. If it happens again then I may need to admit defeat and go down a tier in motor. Maybe a Tacon 3660? I think it was just a bad bearing, as I run my larger+heavier 1/6th Shredder SC on 6s with the stock 1500kv motor and it has been fine (identical gearbox). Time will tell...
(Last edited by PetRock : 11.18.12 at 7:30 pm)
"Experienced user"
PetRock - 12.29.12, 6:41 am Post #37: | Reply With Quote
So, the reason the larger/heavier Shredder hasn't eaten it's diff, even on 6s, is because the 1/8th and 1/6th Redcat BSD's have upgraded metal gears. Stock Caldera silver on the left, upgraded Shredder/Earthquake gold version on the right: read more here.

If anything goes wrong in your Caldera front or rear gearboxes (they're identical), order the stronger replacement parts from the larger models: they drop right in:

Just Gears: BS803-027 (upgrade to BS903-105)
Diff Only: BS803-026 (upgrade to BS903-104)
Diff-with-Case: BS803-025A (upgrade to BS903-020)
(Last edited by PetRock : 1.01.13 at 2:49 pm)
"Experienced user"
morvlorv - 12.30.12, 10:34 pm Post #38: | Reply With Quote
what is a good servo I can get from hobbyking that will be a direct fit in the Caldera 10e?

I have the garbage one that is doing a lot of clicking now.

also, might you know the part number of the screw that goes into the bottom of the hub in the front that holds the hub in. hard to explain.
turn the truck upside down and it the screw closest to the inside of the wheel.

Thanks in advance.
(Last edited by morvlorv : 12.30.12 at 10:37 pm)
"Experienced user"
PetRock - 12.31.12, 6:20 am Post #39: | Reply With Quote
morvlorv said
what is a good servo I can get from hobbyking that will be a direct fit in the Caldera 10e?
Something like a Savox SC-1258TG would be perfect and would last you forever, however for less money I've also had great luck with the EXI D226F and D227F's from HobbyPartz (though you'll need a 23t servo horn). I haven't bought a HobbyKing servo yet, but I've heard of many others using their BlueBird line: look for something digital and metal-gear closer to 0.10s and 10kg/cm, like this one: BMS-825DMG+HS.

morvlorv said
also, might you know the part number of the screw that goes into the bottom of the hub in the front that holds the hub in. hard to explain.
I know exactly the screw you mean: it falls out for everyone

Those screws and their little metal sleeves come with the plastic hubs, but they fall out so often you'll be less frustrated and end up saving money with a more permanent fix. If you switch to the metal hubs from the 1/8th-1/6th Redcats not only do you get the stronger hub you also get larger M4 screws as well... and they can be threadlocked since you're screwing them into metal. After making the switch, mine have never fallen out again.

You'll need three parts from HobbyKing: the metal steering hubs that accept the larger screws, and the C-hub's they screw into (and other side): about $15+shipping. The Redcat part numbers are BS903-111 and BS903-017N ("N" is the important part for the larger holes, this number covers both C-hubs) - but I would shop around Redcat resellers, since they charge more than HobbyKing.

Good luck!
"Experienced user"
PetRock - 1.05.13, 7:54 am Post #40: | Reply With Quote
For Caldera owners (SC, buggy, or MT) that want to change your springs: Traxxas GTR (E-Revo/Jato) springs fit perfectly and are easy to find!

Stock Caldera shock on the left with stock white spring, and Caldera shock body on the right with red GTR spring (TRA5940) and GTR bottom spring retainer (TRA5465).

More pics and info here.