Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
90sRCNostalgia - 7.09.12, 4:53 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
SuburbnHooligan said
where's the kit options? i herd there were going to be kit options. if you want me to buy one there needs to be a team kit option. im waiting for a team kit option.
I agree. Something doesnt seem right spending $600 and getting a ride with plastic shocks. The waterproof 1/8 esc is kind of interesting though.
"Hola Seņor"
mycrors4 - 7.09.12, 4:53 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
if you guys wanna run 6s, get a new esc? 6s is overkill anyways, especially if you plan on running it in water.. well.. actually.. anywhere

the 4s esc is waterproof, and itll work fine for almost every application except speed runs. if you wanna do speed runs, just get an on-road car.

as for the kit thing. you can always get the rc8.2e kit, sc8e bumpers, wheels, body mounts, roll cage, body and an rc8t chassis.

the sc8 wont ever support a kit version unless it becomes a big racing class
| Honchabalo | Insane Scale Crawler | W.I.P. |
| MST FXX-D | 1/10 Drift Machine | W.I.P. |
| M-04 | 1/10 Mini Basher | Done |
| MK6 Golf | Daily | W.I.P. |
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 7.09.12, 5:00 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
Now put yourself in the shoes of not a buyer, but as a vendor. If you want to stay competitive in the market-- and in business, to boot-- you have to be very careful how you purchase and stock product. You stock only what moves. If you sell ten Slash 4x4s a week, you stock Slash 4x4s. If you sell one SC8e a month, you don't stock them. The SC8e is already low volume-- I'd hazard to say they sell in lower numbers than even the likes of the X0-1. The retailer truly determines what the manufacturer sells. Most companies are not big enough to determine the market (Traxxas being one exception) and can't simply say, "Hey, let's make XXX vehicle and revolutionize the hobby!"

So let's just throw some guesswork at how this would work.

SC10 4x4 RTR: $440
SC10 4x4 kit: $250
SC10 4x4 FT kit: $350

SC8.2e RTR: $540
SC8.2e kit: $310
SC8.2e FT kit: $435

And at first blush, $435 looks pretty good. But $300-500 worth of electronics later (not counting batteries,) the SC8.2e FT would terrify my wallet into submission. The SC8e is a bargain for what it is. And with no racing divisions behind it, it seems AE really put a vehicle decidedly toward the basher market-- where RTR is the name of the game.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Experienced user"
90sRCNostalgia - 7.09.12, 5:31 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
I am not saying the kit version is a good business decision for associated. If kits sold better, companies would make more of them...simple as that. However, a kit is what I personally want and would be ideal for my specific situation.
"going back to the 90's"
SuburbnHooligan - 7.09.12, 7:24 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
$435 + electronics = hurt wallet.
but $310 + electronics = typical 1/8 scale

keeping in mind that team kits are (or at least used to be) better equipped than RTR's.
$540 + hop ups and new electronics = wallet not just hurt. wallet dead.

even if the RTR and team kit were the same exact chassis. change the RTR electronics and put a nice set of electronics in the team kit. you've spent more on the RTR.

if an option doesn't exist it can't sell. and there's no way you're going to convince me the sales numbers on a team kit would be so low it wouldn't be worth it.

my theory is that the manufactures know exactly what they are doing and that's why they axed the team kits. this way they can get you to throw money at an RTR over the long run, probably not even realizing how much you've spent in the process. or they can get you to spend spend spend all up front for a factory team kit.
they intentionally killed the affordable option to force us to spend more.

they don't need to make 50% kit's 50% RTR's and force vendors to stock both of them. 90/10 in favor of RTR's would be fine. vendors can stock 8 RTR's and 2 team kits. they might sell 5 of the RTR's before one team kit gets sold, but mark my words the kits will sell! it is a worthwhile venture
im suburban hooligan, and i approve this message.
"I love beer and backflips"
Frank the TANK - 7.09.12, 8:35 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
mycrors4 said
if you guys wanna run 6s, get a new esc? 6s is overkill anyways, especially if you plan on running it in water.. well.. actually.. anywhere

the 4s esc is waterproof, and itll work fine for almost every application except speed runs. if you wanna do speed runs, just get an on-road car.

as for the kit thing. you can always get the rc8.2e kit, sc8e bumpers, wheels, body mounts, roll cage, body and an rc8t chassis.

the sc8 wont ever support a kit version unless it becomes a big racing class
I just remember when this was first mentioned on here someone said it was coming with the x01 esc, or similar
Baja 5b, Baja 5t, Savage flux HP

Futaba 4pls
"Experienced user"
lummox - 7.12.12, 6:54 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
I just built a sc8 with e conversion and its pretty quick. I love it. I had a nitro version before and it was tough. I bought a genuine conversion and it was so easy to convert. I used cheap motor and esc to keep the cost down. The sc8e retails here for $699 and i did it for under $400 so I saved a bit of coin. I just love the scale appearance of them and the way they handle around a track. If only I could afford a real one!
"Experienced user"
Norco kid - 7.14.12, 12:10 am Post #18: | Reply With Quote
Dr. Isotope said
SC8 RTR
SC8e RTR.

And that was it.

So I expect to see SC8.2 and SC8.2e in RTR, and nothing else. There just isn't enough 1/8th SCT market to justify kits.
Not true, they made an SC8e kit at one point. I think it was priced around 300? It will be interesting to see how they price this since they ditched the castle electronics for their own.. Is there anything else different about it? What justifies the .2?
"Experienced user"
EXO - 7.14.12, 7:26 am Post #19: | Reply With Quote
The 2 could stand for motor kv? One think that caught my attention is the wheels. The truck had KMC's on it before...A little history for you guys.I bet 99% of you did not know that the Owners of Method Wheels used to run the KMC racing program and did all of the design work. They had a falling out with KMC and the two of them decided to venture out on there own. Over that couple of years Method wheels has blown up and have taken alot of KMCs accounts, and a huge majortiy of the racers that KMC sponsored. Now they have taken over the wheels on the SC8! The boys had to be laughing out loud when they found out about it haha! I am a huge supporter of Method so I have to get my hands on a set of these for my SC8e. After all all of my real trucks have Method wheels on them haha!
(Last edited by EXO : 7.14.12 at 7:29 am)
"Hola Seņor"
mycrors4 - 7.14.12, 9:09 am Post #20: | Reply With Quote
the .2 is for the suspenion geometry

the old one had the original suspenion geometry while the .2 has the world's suspension geometry
| Honchabalo | Insane Scale Crawler | W.I.P. |
| MST FXX-D | 1/10 Drift Machine | W.I.P. |
| M-04 | 1/10 Mini Basher | Done |
| MK6 Golf | Daily | W.I.P. |