Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Einstein!"
felixx4 - 7.03.12, 6:46 pm Post #31: | Reply With Quote
The Traxxas 2075 high torque, waterproof servo is now installed in my Granite and ive had some time to test it out. Upon inspecting the 2075 it is exactly the same dimensions as the stock Arrma AS1 servo that comes in the Granite.

There have been many people that have complained on what a task it is to get to the steering servo in the Granite. They were RIGHT! Dont get me wrong, there is nothing difficult or baffling about the procedure, its just time consuming removing the many screws. Luckily, most of the screws are the same, so you wont run into an issue with mixing them up.

With the new servo installed, i did run into some minor clearance and fitment issues inside the servo box. Although im not exactly sure why i ran into this issue since the Traxxas servo was the same size as the Arrma AS1, but it may of been because the Traxxas servo spline was a tad bit longer than the spline of the AS1. As a result, the servo arm sticks out a little further. And with such a small servo compartment, it caused the servo arm to rub (only slightly) up against the top of the servo box. This was actually a very easy fix and required a very small amount of the servo box to be removed. Also, the threaded end of the ball stud that mounts to the servo arm need to be trimmed to allow for clearance within the servo box.

Before Trimming Ball Stud:

After Trimming Ball Stud:

Before buttoning everything up, i connected the servo to the receiver and powered on the controller and ESC. Without the servo arm installed, i set the steering trim to the default neutral setting. After that was set, i installed the servo arm per Arrma's instructions (page 21 of the maintenance and tuning manual):

BTW, if your new to working on this vehicle, i suggest downloading the Granite maintenance and tuning guide as it explains in detail how to remove and reinstall a servo.

After getting the Granite back together, i brought it outside for a test run. Right away i noticed a great improvement in steering response with the 2075 servo installed. Turns were much sharper and the steering more sensitive. I had run 2 LIPO packs in the Granite and was impressed and satisfied with the performance of the servo upgrade.

Overall, this is definitely one of the best upgrades so far to this truck. For about $20 and a little time, upgrading the steering servo will provide much better steering and performance for the Arrma Granite. In addition, you will have a servo that is waterproof, not splash proof as Arrma refers to the AS1 servo.

Another step forward on improving the shortcomings of the Granite.
"Einstein!"
felixx4 - 7.03.12, 7:17 pm Post #32: | Reply With Quote
ChazOutlaw said
When u go to swap that servo..make sure you put the one you want in there, and make sure u get it set up right the first time. Changing the servo or even just getting to it, in one of these arrma rigs really sucks. I've had to change 2 out of my 3. thankfully the raider's servo has held up. I've had the same issue with the ball ends popping off, but I'm a little weary of making them a solid mount. Something has to give in those hard wrecks..what will give if the steering link can't pop off to cushion the blow? Keep us posted on how the rest of the front end holds up after that mod.
Chaz,

Since this was the first time i replaced a servo in a Granite RC (or any Arrma RC vehicle) i decided to follow the Granite maintenance manual as it provides detailed information on what screws to remove and how to install and center the servo. The instructions seemed accurate and i had no issues centering the servo and linkage.

I agree, the assembly and dis-assembly process takes a little time because of the 20+ screws that need to be removed. But overall, i did not think the process was all that bad. I think if i had an allen driver instead of using the supplied allen key things would of went a bit faster.

I decided not to upgrade any other ball and socket links in the steering assembly, other than the ones on the steering arms. I havent had any problems with any of the other ball and socket links, so i just left everything else as is.

As far as durability with the steering linkage, i havent had any of the linkage pop off or break even when tangling up with a curb and hitting other things head on.

I think i have all the steering issues addressed and it seems to hold up very well. I doubt ill have to perform any other modifications to the steering.
"Experienced user"
Heeelmooi - 7.03.12, 11:20 pm Post #33: | Reply With Quote
Interesting read Keep up the good work
Mad Force Kruiser VE - Bear Hawk - Wild Willy 2 - - (S)MT4 G3 - Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - Vorza - HK Monster Beatle (GF) - RC8e - Shoterned D8T, SCX10 Honcho. Sold: TT E-mta - MERV - Trailblazer 1/8 MT
"Vacationing user"
bowserchomp - 7.05.12, 6:45 pm Post #34: | Reply With Quote
Yes, I have the same servo in my Arrma Fury and the steering has become almost perfect afterwards. There's a bit of play, so the truck doesn't keep straight, especially when the terrain is sloped sideways, but it can be coped with by doing a little counter-steering.

I've thought about converting my Fury into a Granite or a Raider, but it costs over 100+ USD to do that! All of that for what's essentially the same vehicle with larger tires and a shortened wheelbase. No thank you!
"Experienced user"
red rocket - 7.11.12, 7:15 am Post #35: | Reply With Quote
Im looking for a monster truck myself and this was one of them. After reading this I dont know if it is still in the running with a stampede or even the ruckus. What do you think?
"Einstein!"
felixx4 - 7.11.12, 11:47 am Post #36: | Reply With Quote
Great Question. This is how i see it at this point. Lets assume you already have a 2S lipo pack and charger.

A brushed 2WD Stampede is about $230.

A Granite is about $200.

To make the Granite a good brushed basher and a closer competitor to the Stampede, out of the box youll need to spend $20 for a decent servo, $3 for a lower tooth pinion, $10 for end links and screws, and about $25 for a new Titan 12T motor.

So now, the Granite is more like $258. And this will make it a decent brushed basher. Pretty much where it should be out of the box.

The Stampede is still at $230, but it comes with an outdated AM transmitter and it doesnt have a full set of ball bearings. So lets add $60 for a FM transmitter/receiver and $20 for 8 ball bearings. Now the Stampede is at $310 and the Granite is at $258. At this point they are almost identical with features, but the Granite is $52 cheaper.

So at a price point when lining up the features and making them as close as possible to each other, the Granite is going to come in cheaper.

So that was just a price point comparison. One question i have is, how durable is the transmission in the Granite when using a brushless motor? I personally do not have first hand knowledge as i have not installed a BL motor in my Granite. But i have heard some mixed reviews with the durability of the transmission in the Granite with a BL setup. As for the Stampede, the transmission will easily handle a BL motor without any issues.

The Granite does come with a few quirky issues such as the tight battery compartment (cant put a 7 cell NIMH pack in) and underpowered servo (i suggest changing that out). The Stampede, really no quirky issues.

For performance, the Granite has a low CG and handles very well (better than the Stampede out of the box). The Stampede has a higher CG and rolls over more easily.

Tons of aftermarket parts and very good support for the Stampede. The Granite, not much in the way of aftermarket parts (well, it is a new company, so its to be expected) and support is not as good as Traxxas.

So overall, its tough to call. I would definitely not rule out the Granite. Their both good trucks and its very much a personal preference as to which one to buy. You will need to make some minor changes to the Granite as discussed above if you buy it.

Also, do you want lots of aftermarket goodies? Do you want something that handles better? Are you looking for something with better support? Something that has stood the test of time?

Just need to figure out whats important to you and what you want out of it and then your choice will be easier to make.

Hope this helped!
"Experienced user"
Tranz4md - 9.02.12, 7:31 am Post #37: | Reply With Quote
I have a Granite but I took the body off and put a fury wing on .I also changed the rims and tires to the traxxis sport track talons,it runs great on hard surfaces not so well in tall grass or any for that matter.It only took 5 burnt motors to learn that.I switched out the stock one for an ORION 13T.Ohhhhh much better torqe and top speed.A little tid bit open back motors run much cooler.Bad news though the trigger broke on my radio,MMMMMMMMAD!
"Experienced user"
Tranz4md - 9.02.12, 7:38 am Post #38: | Reply With Quote
my bad on my 1st post i said a fury wing itz a raider wing.i also plan 2 get front & back bumpers from TBR.
"New user"
nikc - 2.02.13, 11:44 am Post #39: | Reply With Quote
Hi all.

My first post, so please be gentle !

So today we went out and bought the latest incarnation of this truck, upgrade it with a 7.4 Lipo battery, out of the box runs great, kids love it, I love it .....

But .... After about 20 mins it just seems to loose the ability to apply and forward or backwards power, wheels turn no problems but just doesn't want to move forwards or backwards ... I can here a screaming type sound as I try to accelerate. So I looked on the support pages and it seems my symptoms are to do with overheating - if I've read correctly of course.

So I'm trying to figure out 2 things:
  1. Does it sound like overheating, is there anything I can do to prove that ? (its about -3 here tonight so pretty cold)
  2. What modifications / upgrades could / should I be making to help over come this
I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff, but happy to give anything a crack thats recommended

Thanks

Nik
"Experienced user"
reptileman - 2.03.13, 4:20 am Post #40: | Reply With Quote
nikc said
Hi all.

My first post, so please be gentle !

So today we went out and bought the latest incarnation of this truck, upgrade it with a 7.4 Lipo battery, out of the box runs great, kids love it, I love it .....

But .... After about 20 mins it just seems to loose the ability to apply and forward or backwards power, wheels turn no problems but just doesn't want to move forwards or backwards ... I can here a screaming type sound as I try to accelerate. So I looked on the support pages and it seems my symptoms are to do with overheating - if I've read correctly of course.

So I'm trying to figure out 2 things:
  1. Does it sound like overheating, is there anything I can do to prove that ? (its about -3 here tonight so pretty cold)
  2. What modifications / upgrades could / should I be making to help over come this
I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff, but happy to give anything a crack thats recommended

Thanks

Nik
sounds like nothing 20 min is very long run time and the esc's lipo cut off most likely turned on it shuts power off to the motor so you don't mess up your lipo battery,

If i was you i would run until the truck gets a bit slower so if you get 20min run time run for 19min and don't let the esc's lipo cut off come on and shut the truck down...this will be much better and make your lipo pack last much longer.

also make sure your wheels spin easy guy's said alot that the motors pinion gear was meshed so tight it was hard to roll the truck wheels farward...check it out if needed move the motor so there is no binding in the pinion and spur gear and the truck rolls farward easy.