Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"I am the Traxxas Man"
Slash4x4 Man - 10.20.12, 5:20 pm Post #1571: | Reply With Quote
Man this project has changed since the last I saw lol. Looking good
Slash 4x4, Slash
Check out my youtube channel TheTraxxasRCGuy's
"Insert Witty Phrase Here."
Soulforged - 10.20.12, 7:31 pm Post #1572: | Reply With Quote
such a great thread. i love your work doc.
You Say " I am canadian =)" Varchild says, "everyone has thier faults"
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 10.20.12, 9:21 pm Post #1573: | Reply With Quote
ah i see, well you're reasoning is completely valid, the G-10 will be much stronger than silly proline plastic. the adjust-ability of it all is pretty neat as well, you should be able to work out the geometry quite nicely to fit the dynamics of the vehicle.
The only thing that concerns me is the lever arm created by spacing the shock out from the shock tower, because over time the hole for the screw might widen the hole and start to have a lot of play, but who knows if that'll even happen in the first place! haha and if this does start to happen, if that tower outlives the life of a protrac tower... well.. you're winning!

haha, great work as always dr.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 10.20.12, 10:49 pm Post #1574: | Reply With Quote
The aluminum bit that forms the base of the tower and the camber link mounts was a royal son of a bleep-blop to make. I have no fancy machinery. That was a Bladerunner, an angle grinder, and a lot of filing. The upper G10 part, on the other hand-- that took maybe 10 minutes. And I have enough leftover G10 from the chassis build to make about 10 more.

I'm still concerned about how thin I made the ends of the tower arms. But for what is essentially the prototype, I think it's just fine.

Side note: it's hilarious to drive with those Pede tires on it. The rears rub pretty much all the time. But it will blast through grass as full speed with no effort.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Insert Witty Phrase Here."
Soulforged - 10.21.12, 10:05 am Post #1575: | Reply With Quote
make a slash5 then to solve the tire rub?
You Say " I am canadian =)" Varchild says, "everyone has thier faults"
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 10.23.12, 6:54 pm Post #1576: | Reply With Quote
Finally got to take the truck out for a shakedown to test that tower... it's very nice. I was expecting no difference at all, but was pleasantly surprised. The added bit of rigidity really helped with rear bite. I will, of course, be making a new G10 upper almost immediately. I had planned on switching the upper shock hardware to 4mm (as Losi makes shock bushings that sleeve directly onto 4mm hardware) but somehow completely forgot about that when I made the tower.The brass hats I made have worn down, so there's a few mm of slop in the upper shock mounts-- it peeves me.

I did manage to do what I haven't done in a long while-- I ran a pack to cutoff. And it took quite a while. I reckon around 25 minutes. I have a little checklist in my green binder of "stuff that needs doing" and that thing keeps getting longer and longer.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 10.23.12, 8:19 pm Post #1577: | Reply With Quote
isn't that strange?? It really is funny when it runs out of batteries because you think, oh no, what broke now... but then you realize oh.. nothings broken, wait you mean I don't have to repair anything or buy anything to use my slash again? all I have to do is charge a battery?? what is this sorcery?!?!?! hahahahha
"Experienced user"
bigdodge44150 - 10.24.12, 5:59 am Post #1578: | Reply With Quote
GUTSLAYER said
isn't that strange?? It really is funny when it runs out of batteries because you think, oh no, what broke now... but then you realize oh.. nothings broken, wait you mean I don't have to repair anything or buy anything to use my slash again? all I have to do is charge a battery?? what is this sorcery?!?!?! hahahahha

+1 I have had a 3s pack outlast my truck 3 times in one night all on the same charge I gave up at break #3.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 10.25.12, 3:50 pm Post #1579: | Reply With Quote
Finally got around to start on the styrene project. Only about 1/3rd finished, but I figure if I don't rush this one, maybe I won't start busting the glue welds right away. It's the fan shroud/RX box/antenna mount/wire hiding box quadra-combo.

"Brushless or bust"
traxxasrockhead - 10.25.12, 4:00 pm Post #1580: | Reply With Quote
Looks Good
"If you don't try you don't fail, and if you don't fail you don't learn"- anonymous