Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.08.13, 7:59 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I read that you shoud soak the new shock seals in shock oil to make them expand so you get a better seal.

How long should you soak them?
Does it matter in what weight oil?

I find this strange, since I dont think the silicone seals should "absorb" anything.

Is this just an old wives fable?

well, either way, mine have been soaking for 5.5 hours in 30 wt. So if I go to put them in and they are HUGE then I know that silicone seals can gain weight.
It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 1.09.13, 7:34 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
It might come from a car that has buna-n seals in them they absorb oil however its a little over kill for an rc. In a big stuff you do this I dont think it could hurt but im no doing it. Alot of people recomend i think it is green slime its from associated i think and its a shock seal sealant grease to my understanding
CARNAGE
"Experienced user"
bigdodge44150 - 1.09.13, 8:41 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
hazardouschurch said
It might come from a car that has buna-n seals in them they absorb oil however its a little over kill for an rc. In a big stuff you do this I dont think it could hurt but im no doing it. Alot of people recomend i think it is green slime its from associated i think and its a shock seal sealant grease to my understanding
Slime aka fix a flat for shocks. Now that is something I would like to see. Drill a extra hole in your piston in cause it will probably clog one up. Never heard of soaking a seal. Only thing I have ever soaked is clutches or brakes that run in oil. Completely different. I have even seen some seals that say not to get any oil on them before installing.
"Experienced user"
Theibault - 1.09.13, 8:58 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Shocks on RCs will leak after time if not properly maintained. It's inevitable. Routine maintanence every 5-6 runs, and a full rebuild when it gets bad, or for you OCD people, every 10 runs. A rebuild just means cleaning it out, replacing the orings, oil, and shock seals. Part of this great hobby. PS, I always use green slime when I build my shocks.
Check out my YouTube channel and please subcribe!
youtube.com/user/theibault
"Experienced user"
Egon Spengler - 1.09.13, 9:57 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I don't see how the o-rings will absorb anything. I just put a drop of oil on them before I tighten down the retainer (Traxxas ultra shocks). Seems to work for me. I've never tried that slime stuff.
Daily basher: Slash 2wd - VXL, 2s, protrac, strc lcg
Shelf queen/occasional driver: RC10B3 - brushed, nicads, Airtronics AM radio
"Experienced user"
Theibault - 1.09.13, 10:11 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
This is what green slime is. It just helps the shock action stay smooth with the orings. One of the AE guys (forgot whom) came from a motocross background and just applied the stuff to RC shocks like he used to with his motocross shocks.
http://shop.noleenj6.com/product.sc?...&categoryId=13
Check out my YouTube channel and please subcribe!
youtube.com/user/theibault
"most useless user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 1.09.13, 10:13 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
yeah never heard of soaking either the o-rings or the bladder or cap o-ring. i just green slime everything as i assemble.

the only seals i oil are on the associated tc shocks, they use a different assembly and you need to soak the foam pieces

seen here:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPA21&P=7
Florida D.O. Racer | Vintage traxxas collector
Brands i choose to support [amongst others]:
SPC Lipo batteries McAllister Racing Bodies Kipps hobbies
"Experienced user"
bigdodge44150 - 1.09.13, 10:51 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Theibault said
This is what green slime is. It just helps the shock action stay smooth with the orings. One of the AE guys (forgot whom) came from a motocross background and just applied the stuff to RC shocks like he used to with his motocross shocks.
http://shop.noleenj6.com/product.sc?...&categoryId=13
Interesting.
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.09.13, 2:53 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the input guys. They went back together without a problem. Gonna finish building them tonight.
It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.09.13, 3:30 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I notice a difference with Green Slime on the o-rings. The shock is smoother and wears better. But I like GMK Shock Snot better ---- just not the name.
http://www.gmksupply.com/html/gmk_0102_.html
radio-control-ophile
sometimes your RC rips up the dirt sometimes the dirt rips up your RC