Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"most useless user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 1.07.13, 9:34 am Post #31: | Reply With Quote
the traxxas plastic gear is garbage unless your running like a 17.5 or 27t. i blow them up with titans and 2.2 buggy tires.

the traxxas alm idler is worth the buy though, very nice, steel one looks like it belongs in a duratrax from the 90's. about the same fit and finish too.

now if you afe feelin frisky the old thorp gear set is sweet. that top gear wont fail till about a boosted 10.5
Florida D.O. Racer | Vintage traxxas collector
Brands i choose to support [amongst others]:
SPC Lipo batteries McAllister Racing Bodies Kipps hobbies
"Experienced user"
bigdodge44150 - 1.07.13, 2:08 pm Post #32: | Reply With Quote
Fiero_Man_121 said
the traxxas plastic gear is garbage unless your running like a 17.5 or 27t. i blow them up with titans and 2.2 buggy tires.

the traxxas alm idler is worth the buy though, very nice, steel one looks like it belongs in a duratrax from the 90's. about the same fit and finish too.

now if you afe feelin frisky the old thorp gear set is sweet. that top gear wont fail till about a boosted 10.5
My sons stampede had one of those plastic gears in it a 20t dynamite sealed can striped it and the plastic diff. It was OK with 6 cell nmih but soon as I strapped in a 8.4v the little 20t went to town on it.
"most useless user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 1.07.13, 7:17 pm Post #33: | Reply With Quote
now the plastic ring gear on the diffs ive had good luck on personally. id rather run that then the steel one for the lower rotational mass and smoother driveline.

traxxas steel gears are pretty poor quality across the board imo, they are cast gears and its not to hard to miss either, lots of flashing and porous spots, not very smooth. if you take a dremal to it, bevel the edges, lightly sand and polish the gears and use the right grease you can atleast get them halfway decent.
Florida D.O. Racer | Vintage traxxas collector
Brands i choose to support [amongst others]:
SPC Lipo batteries McAllister Racing Bodies Kipps hobbies
"Used Experiencer"
raygunpanda - 1.08.13, 1:04 pm Post #34: | Reply With Quote
how would you go about quieting down a traxxas transmission? I've noticed at the track that they are a lot louder than other brands/vehicles.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 1.08.13, 1:17 pm Post #35: | Reply With Quote
How quiet do you want it, and how far are you willing to go to get that quiet? Simply changing to a machined spur (like a JConcepts Silent Speed) and a machined pinion (like a Robinson Absolute) will quiet it down quite a bit from stock. Then you can go much further-- run the plastic ringed diff, clean-up, deburr, bevel, and polish the idler and topshaft gears, etc, etc.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Used Experiencer"
raygunpanda - 1.08.13, 1:53 pm Post #36: | Reply With Quote
well so far i have the RRP pinion... I run the castle 1410 so I dont think i wanna go plastic... Im sure it has a lot to do with the lopsided spur, too

EDIT: looks like JConcepts only makes the silent speed in 90 tooth for the slash... I currently have an 86 tooth stock spur, and can barely fit the ratio i want, so moving up a spur size wont really work... how do I bevel the idler gear and topshaft, and is it recommended for someone with decent hands on skills? or do I need to be a pro? lol
(Last edited by raygunpanda : 1.08.13 at 1:59 pm)
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 1.08.13, 9:34 pm Post #37: | Reply With Quote
Wear the Slash 2wd scar with pride.

LOL
"Experienced user"
malinko - 1.09.13, 1:40 pm Post #38: | Reply With Quote

off to tinker.
"Experienced user"
malinko - 1.21.13, 11:40 am Post #39: | Reply With Quote

Done and installed. Not as loud as I imagined.

The new Tacon motor offers a lot more throttle control than the old non-sensor Tacon.

Sorry it took so long had to add a pair of 4wd driveshafts. my old ones were already twisted.
"Experienced user"
St3alth_Frenzy - 1.21.13, 12:14 pm Post #40: | Reply With Quote
Whats that 4th wire (black rated 300v) for? Fan?
ℐ αμ ◎✞ ḺαẐ⑂⑂ 2ℛѦ∃Ḏ ∂їṧḯ﹩