Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Its not broken... yet."
Specthompson - 12.30.12, 3:00 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Ive been searching up RC for give or take 8 months and im ready to buy. Ive been thinking the rustler or the slash. I would rather buy a roller because i would probably get rid of the stock stuff (motor, esc, transmitter/receiver) and put in my own stuff. But as a first time RC owner it would be better to get an RTR. I will be doing much more running at the baseball diamond, grass, mud, dirt, water, and little road use so im concerned with the ground clearance on the rustler, and yes i know that i can raise the car and whatnot. The thing thats driving me away from the rustler is that it has solid turnbuckles, bushings, and 27mhz radio. The thing thats driving me away from the slash is that its $260 for a brushed, 2wd, 2.4ghz truck. Plus the slash has CRAP tires... so im not sure. Anyone, help me with this decision.
"Experienced user"
uberDoward - 12.30.12, 3:22 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
You can almost do both - my buddy picked up a Rustler, and I just picked up everything to convert it to a full 2WD HCG Slash for $20 off the 'bay.
"Its not broken... yet."
Specthompson - 12.30.12, 10:52 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Yes.. but that doesnt really give me an answer, im leaning more towards the rustler for some odd reason lol. Sure ill have to put new turnbuckles on it but i love tinkering with things so it should be a breeze. And ill probably pick up a cheap fly sky gt2b or something to get me started. Then of course after some use get a brushless system.. thinking the castle sv2.
"OREGON IS FASTER"
c01e0 - 12.30.12, 11:11 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
You won't be disappointed with a Rustler. There hasn't been one time where I wished mine had a higher ground clearance. And I have driven on every single surface you described, haha.
I'm no dentist, but our uniforms are flossin'.
STRC LCG Slash, Axial SCX10 Dingo, Losi 8ight E 2.0, Tamiya TA04 drifter (shared)
"Veni Vidi Vici"
pickleheadguy - 12.30.12, 11:21 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I have a LCG slash that uses a rustler chassis. I bash it in the snow and have now problem with ground clearance. The truck has a low center of gravity, but not decent ground clearance.

I would buy the rustler if I were you. You can always convert it to a short course truck later if you want. Plus, if you're willing to buy used, you can stay within your budget and get some of the upgrades you want, too.
-Slash VXL LCG
"Its not broken... yet."
Specthompson - 12.30.12, 12:00 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Yep, still leaning on the rustler.. is the vxl worth the extra $140? I really wanted to stay within $250 so im not sure... and i dont think the LHS has the vxl but i do know they have the standard one. I just realized im asking some very nooby questions since ive been searching this for almost a year. lol.
"Its not broken... yet."
Specthompson - 12.30.12, 12:03 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I want to get my dad in the hobby too... except he doesnt know the prices of RC's so he thinks that $200 is outrageous for an RC car lol. Course i thought the same when i didnt know anything about them. So maybe i can convince him to get something like a stampede or whatever, or the guy who runs the hobby shop will convince him.. who knows!
"casual master mechanic"
gnrkenny - 1.08.13, 10:58 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Rusty is the way to go, its fun out of the box and you can do so much with it.
I hate curbs
"!"
slashmanblue - 1.09.13, 12:41 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
stuff it get both
Be yourself, everyone else is taken (Oscar Wilde)
"Its not broken... yet."
Specthompson - 1.09.13, 1:07 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Stuff it get both? I decided that its better to get the vxl rusty.