Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
ak74 - 1.07.13, 5:12 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi all,

My wife got me a Traxxas Grave Digger 1/10 for xmas. I haven't RCed for 20 years (Losi buggy). I have 6 and 7 year old kids.

I went to the local hobby shop and got a wheelie bar, as I've found this to be a necessity. I inquired about motor, charger, etc and was overwhelmed. I've researched your fine website and honestly am still overwhelmed.

I'd like to upgrade to brushless motor/ESC combo, LiPo battery and quick charger. I know I'd be opening a can of worms if I asked which is "best", so I'll try to be more specific. I'd like to keep it all Traxxas if possible. I'm somewhat technologically challenged and want to keep it simple. But even within Traxxas stuff there are still dozens of motors, ESCs, batteries, mAh, voltages, VXLs, 2s, 3s, etc. I'm interested in long running time, quick charging, ability to charge NiMH and LiPo on one charger, ability to change to half speed for kids while having brushless/LiPo with push button (like stock) and waterproof. This will be used mainly in grass/dirt, small to medium jumps. Sand (and potentially ocean) is important for summer vacation. I don't really know where to start.

I'm also looking for a wider front bumper. The Stampede (and wide RPM) bumper attaches with 2 screws. The Grave Digger "front" attaches with six and would be preferable. Black is fine for color.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Adam
"Does it matter?"
gillbily23 - 1.08.13, 12:51 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
You can just get the Traxxas Velineon 3350 system which is waterproof and runs 2S and 3S lipos. You can find some on Ebay new for around $140 for the ESC and motor. They are great for the 2wd Pede but still almost too much power sometimes unless you get better tires. You can even run the Velineon system with a 7 or 8 cell NIMH 5000 mah battery and it will be more than enough power. I have run this setup in my 2wd Pede and it would spin the tires like crazy and push the front end. There are cheaper ESC and motor combos out there, but they arent waterproof.
Hmmm, what should we do today? Shall we go drifting, crawling, short course racing, mudding, rock racing, road racing, trailing, or just run them as fast as we can around the baseball field and create a dust storm?
"Does it matter?"
gillbily23 - 1.08.13, 12:53 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
BTW, I use the Traxxas EZ Peak 2 charger for my NIMH batts and it is quick and cheap. It doesnt charge lipos, but you can get a balance charger that will charge both NIMH and lipos.
Hmmm, what should we do today? Shall we go drifting, crawling, short course racing, mudding, rock racing, road racing, trailing, or just run them as fast as we can around the baseball field and create a dust storm?
"Experienced user"
optimized - 1.08.13, 3:43 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I run a traxxas 1000 mah 2s Lipo and I use thunder power ac 610 charger, I can full charge my battery in about 2 hours from low voltage cut off and run it hard for 2 30 min plus sessions ( way to cold in Alberta for longer than 30 mins)
"Experienced user"
slick78 - 1.08.13, 4:59 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
here is what I ordered for our 2wd pede less than 70 shipped and waterproof!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25138
"Experienced user"
rcpython59 - 1.08.13, 5:11 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
The traxxas esc is actually pretty good. But the motor is only a 2 pole 540. There are actually cheaper and better motors,if you get sensorless they will all be waterproof just the bearing inside may not be waterproof but if you go castle you could just take it apart and put waterproof bearings in it.
ugh,im sorry for what happenned to my account guys....
"Experienced user"
turbo_hammer - 1.08.13, 5:22 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I may do this same thing with my stampede xl-5 I just bought. Do you need a programming card for a system other than traxxas?
-Traxxas Stampede XL-5 2WD
Castle SV3 4600kv-
"Experienced user"
ak74 - 1.08.13, 10:57 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Wow, my shopping cart is already much more than the truck!
"Does it matter?"
gillbily23 - 1.08.13, 12:06 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
slick78 said
here is what I ordered for our 2wd pede less than 70 shipped and waterproof!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25138
What kind of speeds are you getting with this system and are you still using the 18/86 gears?
"Experienced user"
slick78 - 1.09.13, 5:06 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
have not got the brushless system yet... however I plan on starting with the stock gearing which was I believe is on the xl-5 19/90 but I also ordered the robinson racing pinion 6 pack 14,16,18,20,22,24 and a 83t spur so I can tun alittle better and maybe not burn it up lol and we are still running the nimh packs