Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
MonkeySteezy - 11.18.10, 6:12 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
For whatever reason, I have found that NOTHING seems to fit the inset screw on the pinion gears that come with the slash. I have tried 2.5mm, which seems to be the standard, I've tried almost every size wrench in both standard and metric, and nothing works and the pinion comes off...whaddya do?
What is that smell...smells like electrical burning...CRAP! NOT ANOTHER MOTOR!
"most useless user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 11.18.10, 6:18 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
you need a good 1.5mm allen key or driver, on a side note, next time you go to buy pinions buy team losi pinions, they seem to hold up the best

if you need to you can always grind down your 1.5 allen key so that it has a fresh tip to it
Florida D.O. Racer | Vintage traxxas collector
Brands i choose to support [amongst others]:
SPC Lipo batteries McAllister Racing Bodies Kipps hobbies
"knuckle-head-mc-spaz-a-tron"
pieman12345 - 11.18.10, 6:20 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
are you taking it off or on? the setscrews take a 1.5 mm hex, wayyyy smaller that what your trying now.
the inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
slash 4x4 | slash | Hypersport 48 | Blade mSR | E-revo x2 (titan 775, 4s / 2200kv MM, 4s, 2 speed) |
"Experienced user"
stivine6 - 11.18.10, 6:20 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Yeah i had the same problem just turned out it was the crappy 1.5mm allen key that came with car. Never even used it and the first time i used the key it was stripped. You just need a good quality one.
T-maxx 3.3 with picco .26 maxx
Traxxas Slash 2wd - vxl + Sidewinder Esc with 3s lipo
Traxxas Slash 4x4 MMM 2650 3s
"most useless user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 11.18.10, 6:23 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
yeah, trx also uses some kind of magic spell when they make the car, those suckers are hard to unscrew the first time. i stripped a good allen driver tip when i tried to get one off for a guy (made me look like an idiot at the time till 2 more ppl tried it)

sounds like hes trying to put it on
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 11.18.10, 10:05 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
i'm a big fan of robinson racing's absolute pinions, cheap as chips and they last forever...
"most useless user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 11.19.10, 2:55 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
yeah, no they dont, had a set and they went after about 2 months of use
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 11.19.10, 5:53 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
The Robinson Absolute pinions are hardened, so they do last a long time, and run about $5 each. I have several that have been around for ages. That said, I much prefer the Losi pinions. They are hands down my favorites.

The "standard" Robinson pinions I would recommend to no one. Even with proper slipper adjustment and gear mesh, they'll be sawblades within a matter of 8-10 packs. They just can't withstand brushless power.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 11.19.10, 9:04 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
i bought my pinions over on liquid and i think i got them alot cheaper then 5 bucks, more like 2.5 or there abouts...

And as you said hardened steel makes them last for ever... Hell i'm running the one i have now hard, like 3-6 packs a week, 44400 rpm, sometimes with sand stuck in it or something and it's still going strong, after what by now must've been, what, 6 monthes?
"Unexercised Peer"
el_tonto - 11.19.10, 12:55 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
If a 1.5mm hex key doesn't quite work then try 1/16" which is basically 1.6mm - just that little bit extra can be a wonderful thing