Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 8.13.17, 10:55 am Post #101: | Reply With Quote
I don't personally own a twin hammers and as such am not very familiar with the platform, but basically because shocks work best standing up, it adds unnecessary complexity and takes up room where a battery is better off being positioned.

The Irie upright tower and bellcrank is pretty reasonably priced and well reviewed in the u4rc scene
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...ock-tower.html
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"Experienced user"
perry - 8.13.17, 3:39 pm Post #102: | Reply With Quote
DeathVirus said
I do understand the difference though. RCsparks Studio did a rock crawling thing with a TH using gates and all that and it was very technical. I can see the difference

I want to setup my TH for U4RC without actually racing in it but I can't see the pictures of people's setups. I don't want to spend much money either (for example, I wana keep the front end stock). I'm just interested in suspension setups (most important) and good all-around tires to use. I plan on switching over to the Titan 12T for sure for the extra torque. The ESC can handle it. It'll be slower but more efficient

My rear sway bars just arrived today. I plan on using the medium or hard ones. I hate rollovers.. I'll try medium first and go from there. My Gens Ace battery and TH should be in by next week I hope. I hope Gens Ace is right about the battery weight on that 2s 3500mah 60C. 144grams is crazy good for a hardcase in that size.

I too like a challenge which is another reason why I chose the TH over the Yeti and Rock Rey
The part I highlighted in bold I believe is incorrect. IIRC, the 12T titan isn't going to give you much more power than a 15t brushed motor.

Also, the ESC for the twin Hammers is only rated for a 12T 540 motor, so you will burn it up using a 12T 550 size motor on it like the Titan.

I'm not even sure a 550 motor will fit in a Twin hammers. I got rid of all mine but I remember the chassis being a tight fit for everything.
tamiyafier said
Whenever someone replies "k thks m8 lol" i die a little inside.

still runnin' cars like I clean my teeth: with brushes.

"makya" on most other forums
"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 8.13.17, 3:59 pm Post #103: | Reply With Quote
perry said
The part I highlighted in bold I believe is incorrect. IIRC, the 12T titan isn't going to give you much more power than a 15t brushed motor.

Also, the ESC for the twin Hammers is only rated for a 12T 540 motor, so you will burn it up using a 12T 550 size motor on it like the Titan.

I'm not even sure a 550 motor will fit in a Twin hammers. I got rid of all mine but I remember the chassis being a tight fit for everything.
Thanks for clarifying. When it said 12T I thought it meant any 12T bc it didn't specify. A 550 12T is equivalent to a 540 17T though so yes it will give a little bit more power

If all else fails, my MMP started working again and I still have a spare 4600kv motor. If I gear it low I won't have much issues with cogging. I have two stampede platforms I geared 9/54 which is the lowest you can go. With 3.92 internal ratio it made the final drive low enough to let me crawl without cogging and yet one goes 27.9mph and the other goes 30mph. The TH has an internal ratio of about a 6.5 in 2nd gear so I'm sure it will do just fine if I gear low with that same setup
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Summit with Proline Mashers 3.8
Trail Rustler 2wd with Ofna "diff locker"
Latrax Alias with MMW motors
Traxxas Aton Plus
"Experienced user"
perry - 8.13.17, 4:49 pm Post #104: | Reply With Quote
DeathVirus said
Thanks for clarifying. When it said 12T I thought it meant any 12T bc it didn't specify. A 550 12T is equivalent to a 540 17T though so yes it will give a little bit more power

If all else fails, my MMP started working again and I still have a spare 4600kv motor. If I gear it low I won't have much issues with cogging. I have two stampede platforms I geared 9/54 which is the lowest you can go. With 3.92 internal ratio it made the final drive low enough to let me crawl without cogging and yet one goes 27.9mph and the other goes 30mph. The TH has an internal ratio of about a 6.5 in 2nd gear so I'm sure it will do just fine if I gear low with that same setup
That depends. The titan is going to make you go faster, but have less low end torque, than the stock 19T motor that it comes with.

When you said this:
DeathVirus said

I want to setup my TH for U4RC without actually racing in it but I can't see the pictures of people's setups. I don't want to spend much money either (for example, I wana keep the front end stock). I'm just interested in suspension setups (most important) and good all-around tires to use. I plan on switching over to the Titan 12T for sure for the extra torque. The ESC can handle it. It'll be slower but more efficient
that's backwards, a 12T motor is going to be faster than the stock 19T motor, but have less low end torque. If you're thinking about running the TH like the mashers video you posted, you will burn up the Titan because it is less efficient at low speed and the loss of efficiency will turn into heat, which will fry the motor.

The sweet spot for a TH is between 3000kv and 3500kv for speed and trail running. running a 4600kv motor is going to be hard to control at low speeds, and will put a lot of stress on those transmission gears. they don't hold up as well as the traxxas transmission. I've owned a TH five different times, and I always end up getting rid of them because they're quirky and small, even though it's a cool design. It may sound like the math works for running that MMP in the TH, but there's a reason no one runs that high a KV for trailing.
tamiyafier said

"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 8.13.17, 5:27 pm Post #105: | Reply With Quote
perry said
That depends. The titan is going to make you go faster, but have less low end torque, than the stock 19T motor that it comes with.

When you said this:

that's backwards, a 12T motor is going to be faster than the stock 19T motor, but have less low end torque. If you're thinking about running the TH like the mashers video you posted, you will burn up the Titan because it is less efficient at low speed and the loss of efficiency will turn into heat, which will fry the motor.

The sweet spot for a TH is between 3000kv and 3500kv for speed and trail running. running a 4600kv motor is going to be hard to control at low speeds, and will put a lot of stress on those transmission gears. they don't hold up as well as the traxxas transmission. I've owned a TH five different times, and I always end up getting rid of them because they're quirky and small, even though it's a cool design. It may sound like the math works for running that MMP in the TH, but there's a reason no one runs that high a KV for trailing.
Even if just running on 2s with the 4600? Geared low wouldn't it produce the same torque as a 3000kv motor geared higher?
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Aton Plus
"Experienced user"
perry - 8.13.17, 6:05 pm Post #106: | Reply With Quote
DeathVirus said
Even if just running on 2s with the 4600? Geared low wouldn't it produce the same torque as a 3000kv motor geared higher?
It doesn't really work that way. the gearing still puts a strain on the motor, and also keeps it out of it's range of efficiency. It's designed to run at high rpm, so it is less efficient at lower rpm (which means heat) and even with a lower pinion tooth count you'll still be running at a lower rpm range while trailing than the motor is going to work well at.
tamiyafier said

"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 8.13.17, 6:09 pm Post #107: | Reply With Quote
perry said
It doesn't really work that way. the gearing still puts a strain on the motor, and also keeps it out of it's range of efficiency. It's designed to run at high rpm, so it is less efficient at lower rpm (which means heat) and even with a lower pinion tooth count you'll still be running at a lower rpm range while trailing than the motor is going to work well at.
If it's geared low the motor will be spinning fast. It spins fast in our Rustler 4x4 that has the 4600 in it. It has a rollout of only .66:1 so it spins fast even when going slow. It crawls amazingly for something with 1M diff oils front/rear and a 4600. I wish I had a video to show you
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Aton Plus
"Experienced user"
perry - 8.13.17, 8:05 pm Post #108: | Reply With Quote
DeathVirus said
If it's geared low the motor will be spinning fast. It spins fast in our Rustler 4x4 that has the 4600 in it. It has a rollout of only .66:1 so it spins fast even when going slow. It crawls amazingly for something with 1M diff oils front/rear and a 4600. I wish I had a video to show you
go ahead and try it, maybe it will work for you. My guess is that it won't give you the performance you're looking for though.
tamiyafier said