Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
danb1974 - 2.18.17, 11:26 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
You can convert them to rc, making them so much more driveable. Their top speed is a little high for indoors and lack of proportional control is frustrating.

I did it with whatever was lying in the parts drawer, hence the 1/10 esc, but I'll switch to a micro esc which I've ordered.

There are two different 1:14 chassis, in the newer? ones the steering layout is turned 180 degrees. Mine I think is the old one. Just had to cut down a piece of plastic below the old electronics, where the servo is now.

One question though, any ideea how to remove the rear wheels? They are not fitted straight.

"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 2.20.17, 12:11 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Why doesn't it have proportional steering? I can see a servo under the receiver in the first picture.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Usable User"
2xRustler - 2.24.17, 5:00 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
Why doesn't it have proportional steering? I can see a servo under the receiver in the first picture.
my guess is he's talking about the original electronics.
Breaking toys and making noise
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 2.24.17, 5:23 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
That servo isn't part of the original electronics? It looks pretty generic.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Experienced user"
Jay-Em - 2.25.17, 6:11 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Now thère's a nice coincidence.

I just recently converted a Rastar Ferrari FF to a tamtech esc and a orange box HK 2.4ghz setup.

Worked-out exellent.

The biggest hurdle was devising a way to steer with a micro-servo and keeping the wheels aligned. It's all quite wobbly from the get-go, due to the steering-plate/link/strip thingy.

@Fyrstormer: the original steering is a complex gearbox with relais controlling a rather big electric motor and a rattler/slipper that only steers when under power.. 3 settings : full right, full left or centered (sort of )
(Last edited by Jay-Em : 2.25.17 at 6:14 am)
"Basically, they're still toys.."
"Experienced user"
danb1974 - 3.12.17, 7:55 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
On this chassis, the original is a servo-like mechanics with a plastic slipper clutch and a centering spring, but it's all or nothing, no position potentiometer

Now, onto the what I can only assume is the new chassis. The compler clutch and gear reduction is gone, replaced with a much simpler non-clutch less-gear mechanism:

(Last edited by danb1974 : 3.12.17 at 7:58 am)
"Experienced user"
danb1974 - 3.12.17, 8:05 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
In order to convert this one, you can either replace the steering cover plate with a modified one, somebody posted one here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1750232

Or you can cut out from the original one, get rid of the centering spring, shave the teeth from the semi circular piece (we need it to keep the steering bar in place) and servo tape a micro servo. With the right horn, it will link to the centering pin that is on the bottom of the steering bar.

This time I used a micro esc (made for the oh35p01 micro crawler) which is rated at 5 amps. Sadly it lacks braking function, just switched between forward and reverse. To brake, use gentle reverse...

"Experienced user"
danb1974 - 3.12.17, 8:35 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
And a family photo

"Experienced user"
danb1974 - 3.20.17, 12:54 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Time to redo the first car (the white bmw x6)

Off the 1/10 esc goes, replaced with a micro esc like the one in the land rover (bonus if you can spot the esc in the pictures)

Also, out with the analogue servo, in with a digital (metal gear, for a few extra bucks) micro servo, allowing me to use an orangerx receiver. Notice the really long servo horn. The servo is taped above the lower half of the original steering box and reaches the steering link through the original hole.

Also electronics were arranged a bit different.