Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Mr. Postman"
humayraykinaon - 3.20.15, 4:28 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
We all know that's the first thing everyone's upgrade lol, one reason I don't buy RTR instead, I build one from the ground up.
| Minpin115 | XBL 117 | RCX 130 | RCX 155 | Geprc Chimp 210 |
"Experienced user"
hjy - 3.20.15, 4:41 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
if you gear for 2s and then go to 3s the motor will overheat. 3s needs regearing. The top speed numbers on traxxas boxes aren't for running all day. gearing for top speed and speed runs should be done with time in between for the electronics to cool down. shame on traxxas for not saying that or making it clear...if they don't.

traxxas does give optional speed gears to reach those speeds and I've never opened them because speed runs don't interest me but it may say on the packaging that comes with it that its not intended for extended running at top speed.

vxl is probably too small for their 4x4's. the new 4 pole may be better but the 2 pole wasn't up to the task.
(Last edited by hjy : 3.20.15 at 4:45 pm)
"Experienced user"
TheBlueKnight - 3.20.15, 4:41 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
landwert23 said
Hi guys i have a traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl brushless and i am having a very annoying overheating problem and hope yall could help. i have a heatsink and two integy cooling fans on the motor i have a 13t pinion gear and 54t spur gear. i have ceramic bearings and a center diff but the stock motor and stock esc. i basically have all upgrades you could think of on the truck. i have a 2 cell 6500 mah 75c battery and i can only run my truck on the road for about 2 minutes then it is to hot to touch the motor. please help i have no idea what is going on with it. i checked the bearings on the inside of the motor and replaced them to.

If there is no binding in the drivetrain and your gear mesh is set correctly, it sounds like you need to gear it down. I believe a 9t pinion can fit? You may have the older style 2pole motor that could be getting overworked. It wasn't meant to push around 4x4's at fast speeds. Traxxas recently changed their motor to a 4pole but I'm not sure which motor you have. There is a way to tell, check the forums.
"Compensating user"
eXXon - 3.20.15, 4:42 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
Your hand is not a good temp sensor. Too hot to touch doesn't necessarily mean an overheating motor,
Get a temp gun and if the temps are below 160F, then no problems.
Hunter, Senton, ET48.3, MT48.3, EB48.3, Cobra 811e, Hyper TTe.
"Experienced user"
TheBlueKnight - 3.20.15, 5:18 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
eXXon said
Your hand is not a good temp sensor. Too hot to touch doesn't necessarily mean an overheating motor,
Get a temp gun and if the temps are below 160F, then no problems.
Exactly, :thumbsup:

I remember my first hobbygrade RC (Brushless 1/16 Revo) would burn my finger the instant I touched it. I thought it was overheating but I bought a temp gun and the motor was at 150F, :facepalm: completely fine.
"Experienced user"
Markus rc - 1.31.17, 11:46 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
I have a probem with my vxl on my Slash 4x4 I run 3s. if I run 18/54 gears without a chassis my ESC gets hot but the motor just gets warm, if i run 13/54 which is the stock, both of them get hot. What should I do should I gear lower?? Also if I buy a new ESC would that reduce the motor temps or would I have to buy a combo?
"Experienced user"
Eric1977 - 2.05.17, 6:31 am Post #17: | Reply With Quote
Markus rc said
I have a probem with my vxl on my Slash 4x4 I run 3s. if I run 18/54 gears without a chassis my ESC gets hot but the motor just gets warm, if i run 13/54 which is the stock, both of them get hot. What should I do should I gear lower?? Also if I buy a new ESC would that reduce the motor temps or would I have to buy a combo?
That sounds strange, opposite really. Is your mesh checked each time? I wonder if the mesh is too tight when you do 13t pinion. That could overheat the motor.

I used to have heat problems on the velineon Esc on 3s as well, and the motor whenever on 3s with an 18t pinion.

If you can stick to the 13-16 pinion range and the motor temp does go down with correct mesh, I wonder if you could fix the Esc heat with an external BEC.

Eric
"Experienced user"
vintage - 2.05.17, 7:48 am Post #18: | Reply With Quote
landwert23 said
Hi guys i have a traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl brushless and i am having a very annoying overheating problem and hope yall could help. i have a heatsink and two integy cooling fans on the motor i have a 13t pinion gear and 54t spur gear. i have ceramic bearings and a center diff but the stock motor and stock esc. i basically have all upgrades you could think of on the truck. i have a 2 cell 6500 mah 75c battery and i can only run my truck on the road for about 2 minutes then it is to hot to touch the motor. please help i have no idea what is going on with it. i checked the bearings on the inside of the motor and replaced them to.
Unless you're running larger than stock tires, or by all upgrades you mean you've added a ton of weight, either something's binding or the motor has been damaged. Overheating the motor for too long (I.e. if you used to gear it higher, run more cell, or it was ever bound up or run in conditions that put a large load on it) can damage ("degauss") the magnets, permanently weakening the motor, making it run hotter for a given load.
First, use a temp gun to check temps and make sure it isn't binding as that gearing sounds more than reasonable with stock sized tires on 2s.
Also, if it is running too hot and you've made sure it isn't binding, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to buy a new motor. If you've already geared it as slow as you're willing to put up with and aren't overheating the esc or battery, there's no reason you can't run it this way until the motor becomes too damaged to perform acceptably to you and then replace it.
(Last edited by vintage : 2.05.17 at 7:57 am)
"Experienced user"
Markus rc - 2.06.17, 3:39 am Post #19: | Reply With Quote
Eric1977 said
That sounds strange, opposite really. Is your mesh checked each time? I wonder if the mesh is too tight when you do 13t pinion. That could overheat the motor.

I used to have heat problems on the velineon Esc on 3s as well, and the motor whenever on 3s with an 18t pinion.

If you can stick to the 13-16 pinion range and the motor temp does go down with correct mesh, I wonder if you could fix the Esc heat with an external BEC.

Eric
I always check my gear mesh very carefully before driving, but now I think I'm gonna order the mamba monster combo. Or do you know a better combo? ( budget is around 240 usd) thankful for answers.
"jerk."
nino - 2.06.17, 4:39 am Post #20: | Reply With Quote
I had a weird thing with my 2WD Torment and a 4-pole Hobbyking motor. I've read somewhere that brushless motors can be geared too low, something about them not being loaded enough mechanically (basically free running - the combo propelled the light SCT almost instantly to its top speed). The esc was cool, the motor was hot with the stock 19T. After gearing UP, motor temps were better. I doubt that's the case with a 4x4 but something to keep in mind.
In order of appearance:
ECX Torment 2WD BL | Tamiya Stadium Blitzer | H.King Rattler | Basher Bad Bug | Basher Hellseeker | Axial Wraith Spawn