Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Flyingcheezhobo - 10.23.12, 5:16 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I am making a track in my backyard through the woods and my slash slides all over. Does anyone know how to give it more traction
"Experienced user"
SHOrdr - 10.23.12, 2:09 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
I may be new but I know this one. Ditch the stock tires. I run proline gladiators (med) on all four corners for what you described. They will wear faster on concrete and asphalt so keep the stock tires for those surfaces and enjoy.
-SHO 3x RWD Traxxas Slash (my fleet), and a merv.
"Experienced user"
slashbash22 - 10.23.12, 2:14 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Yup screw the stock tires. There not worth anything because they cant hook up on anything but carpet. Gladiators are fine just for dirt. Calibers work well also on very loose dirt.
Traxxas Slash LCG SV3 4600kv 2s Race Truck

Traxxas Slash HCG XL-5 2s Basher W/ Trenchers

G'S RC Raceway Shippensburg PA
"Do you even race?"
indy34096 - 10.23.12, 3:46 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Loosening the slipper clutch helps the tires not be as apt to break completely loose, but getting the right tires is ideal.

Depending on what kind of woods you're talking about (how tacky the dirt is) I could recommend anything from Badlands SC to Gladiators SC tires.
TLR 22 MM, B4.1 Factory Team, RC10 Classic, Proboat Impulse 26
Larry's Performance R/C's | RC Clubhouse
"Experienced user"
erevo1*16 - 10.24.12, 2:37 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
you could try some other rear axle carriers with some more toe in... that helps to keep you going straight pretty well.

There are a few options. (I think the 4-tec hubs fit... but you'll want the alloy ones. not the stock plastic ones... remember its a road car. not off-road truck)
(also the Tekno rear hubs are adjustable in rear toe angles.)
My Tastes are simple:
I am easily satisfied with the best.
-Sir Winston Churchill
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 10.24.12, 3:07 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Flyingcheezhobo, I am in the same boat as you. The track in my backyard is in the woods too. Here's what I did:

For the track:
Get down to the dirt. Rake ALL the leaves and branches out of the way and pack that dirt down (water may be needed). When my track is damp after it rains, my car hooks up great.

For the car:
On my STRC LCG Slash, I use Pro-Line Slicer tires in front and Pro-Line Gladiators in back.

If I want to tear the track up, I use the SupraSales NIB Big-Blocks BKD Pre-Mounted 1/8 Buggy Tires. They're hard rubber Pro-Line Badlands knockoffs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Big-Bloc...item2ec2e29ab8 But to use these you will need 17mm adapters like these: http://prolineracing.com/performance...ers/2wd-slash/ More money than it's worth? Maybe.

I use Pro-Line Trenchers on my Stampede and Suburbs on my Rustler (used on a different track).

Suspension may also be in need of a tweek. Losi springs and different weight shock oil will help your car stay planted.

Adjusting the car's "toe" may also help your car maneuver better. In a rear wheel drive car, more "toe in" helps with driving straight but decreases turning and visa versa. When tires are "toe in", the car looks pigeon-toed. Sometimes dodging trees requires lots of "toe out."
RC addict and loving it
somewhere near Grass Valley, CA --- let's bash
"Experienced user"
BRO460 - 10.24.12, 7:15 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I am glad this thread came up cause my Velenion Slash 2wd on Lipo is barely drivable over 1/2 throttle... kicks sideways everytime I am also strongly considering a set of Gladiators or Badlands to combat this issue. If you do it first let me know and how it handles after
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 10.24.12, 10:09 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Water your track as best as possible for compaction and throw some different tires on (badlands or trenchers) and consider regearing
"casual master mechanic"
gnrkenny - 10.24.12, 10:15 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Well i have to say, loose almost sandy dirt is what i run on most,its like driving on ice. I run the gladiators and i have to say they dont do the job, I want to try a badland type tire and see it that doesnt help. Then i am going to go with Tekno hubs and see if that fixes it. If not I might just break down and buy a gyro, but its gonna be hidden...
I hate curbs
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 10.24.12, 10:52 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Throttle control is a key. I use my Badlands for the thick clay-mud gunk. Gladiators work well on the sandy stuff I drive on but maybe super soft Trenchers are needed instead. If the Trenchers don't work on the sandy stuff . . . dude, you need paddle tires.
RC addict and loving it
somewhere near Grass Valley, CA --- let's bash