Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Skiboblitch - 1.29.14, 8:55 am Post #11: | Reply With Quote
Has anybody tried the Viper Copperhead? It's a 550 4 pole motor with a 150a esc for $119.00? It doesn't appear to be waterproof but a little Plastidip will cure that.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Combo-4500kV
"Cookie Monster"
chrispycontrol - 1.29.14, 9:28 am Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Viper products are very good IMO, and there CS is unbeatable also IMO.

And the best warranty out there.

I use there vtx10 sensored combo in most of my cars
Great price, great warranty, great cs
I have never had any problems with any of my viper escs or motors
"Experienced user"
stascom - 1.30.14, 6:49 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
Skiboblitch said
Has anybody tried the Viper Copperhead? It's a 550 4 pole motor with a 150a esc for $119.00? It doesn't appear to be waterproof but a little Plastidip will cure that.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Combo-4500kV
I have 2 of them. Good for the money. The ESC is supposedly 150A-capable but only 3S. LVC is very sensitive and starts cutting power by the time you get 30-40% into the pack (end up setting it pretty low). The motor is very loud. Decent power but nothing exceptional.
I do prefer WP-SC8 to the Copperhead-R. And pretty much any other 4-pole 550 motor to the one that comes bundled from Viper.
"I have the BEST words!"
lsear2905 - 2.03.14, 3:46 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
R_Os said
Sc 8 is your answer. Easily as well made as any other overseas esc. Which is all of em.

The only thing you dont get is the reassurance of castles warranty and service.
Got mine last week, finally had a chance to use it last night.

It is FANTASTIC... the power delivery is so much smoother than the VXL!

$70AUD, via Hong Kong, to my door. BRILLIANT.
from Melbourne, Australia (where Winter is Summer, and we use the metric system)

Bored? Check out and follow my Instagram feed @mycousinscrogg
Really bored? lsear2905's Garage in the General RC section
Want even more? Check out my flickr page at flickr.com/lsear
"nut for sale!"
R_Os - 2.03.14, 7:26 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
lsear2905 said
Got mine last week, finally had a chance to use it last night.

It is FANTASTIC... the power delivery is so much smoother than the VXL!

$70AUD, via Hong Kong, to my door. BRILLIANT.
I just used mine tonight...yes. so good. One of the rare times something is good, and cheap. And waterproof!
"Experienced user"
Snomme21 - 2.04.14, 6:30 am Post #16: | Reply With Quote
nice purchase guys, keep us updated on longevity...always willing to give another company a shot!
"New user"
tmoon - 2.04.14, 6:48 am Post #17: | Reply With Quote
I bought one sc8 and it fried on 4s within an hour. first, it shredded the plastic spur (correct mesh), blew the slipper clutch apart (after I replaced the spur), then finally just popped smoke. it was soooo fast though. It was on my first e-Maxx conversion paired with a 4 pole motor. I don't remember the KV but I think it was a tad too high for that esc on 4s.
"Experienced user"
Snomme21 - 2.04.14, 9:33 am Post #18: | Reply With Quote
yea sc8 are great(for the money) i have two but i have to say i run them on my lighter vehicles...not my ERBE (E-Maxx sized)...have a feeling 4s would get hot or pop pretty easily. but 4s with a 2200kv castle in my lcg slash is Sweet!
"Experienced user"
T4KT1KZ - 2.04.14, 1:19 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
I replaced both of my burned Traxxas VXL-3S ESC's with Hobbywing WPSC8's they have been running stong ever since. Traxxas charges basically the same price to fix it through their Warranty Replacement Program and it is a MUCH more capable ESC.

IMO they can't be beat for price/performance. Also they come with a 6 month (180) day warranty. Recently I read a users story of how he fried one, and had to deal with Hobbywing CS. They mailed him a new one, Though he was on the hook for the shipping, something like $12 to ship each way. and it took 3-4 weeks. But you could afford to buy a whole second WPSC8 should it fail and still end up costing less then 1 stock VXL-3S. Not saying that it will fail. I have had 3 now and every single one has been awesome. I sold one, and the other two are nothing short of perfect. My P4DE Truggy is a dedicated 4S beast. A good 6 months now running 4S atleast 3 times a week if not more and its still as good as the day I got it.

Tons of programming features, You cant go wrong. It really does function and feel like a much higher priced esc. I have nothing against Castle or any of the other ESC's. Just saying that Hobbywing has quality products. Already they have lasted twice as long as the stock VXL-3S esc's did LOL. Just make sure if you do grab a WPSC8 to get the Program Box NOT the card. This will allow you to update the ESC's firmware, as well as make changes to the esc's programming via your computer via the Hobbywing USB Link, or in the field with box itself. It also functions as a battery tester up to 8S Lipo.
Don't worry... I'll find it's weak spot.
"Experienced user"
T4KT1KZ - 2.04.14, 1:22 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
tmoon said
I bought one sc8 and it fried on 4s within an hour. first, it shredded the plastic spur (correct mesh), blew the slipper clutch apart (after I replaced the spur), then finally just popped smoke. it was soooo fast though. It was on my first e-Maxx conversion paired with a 4 pole motor. I don't remember the KV but I think it was a tad too high for that esc on 4s.

On 4S the WPSC8 is rated to run 3000kv MAX
Don't worry... I'll find it's weak spot.