Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.02.16, 4:38 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi guys, just thought I'd post a recent project of mine that I started and have had ideas for some time to do. A couple things led up to this:

1. Stampede 4x4 had become unused and I was longing to change it into something else, very much inspired by Jang's Shapeshifter series. I got a chance to drive my friends Slash 4x4 platinum and instantly realized that converting to a Slash was my first objective, I simply needed the longer wheelbase.

2. I wanted a double duty offroad truck to drive trails but still handle well enough for driving around more prepared surfaces. The Slash 4x4 was surprisingly good on some dirtbike trails with nothing but some Pro-Line Badlands out of the box.

3. I didn't want to buy a Yeti 1/10 because it would take a lot of money to get it to my level of performance I'd want. I already have the YXL so I think it'd be a bit redundant as well. Converting my Pede would be much cheaper and not give me another truck to worry about.

Here is the goal look for the truck:

Some of this is going to be bolt on and some might require some work, but that's part of the fun right? Anyways, here's how my Stampede 4x4 sits now:

Hobbywing SC8-WP ESC (I do plan on running 4S occasionally)
Losi 2800kv 4-pole sensorless motor (Blue can, discontinued since HH went to Dynamite brand)
Solar D772

I got my advice and read a lot on URC back when I started so I'm essentially already "bullet-proof" with my Pede. Revo slipper upgrade, King Headz motor mount, Tekno M6 axles, Tekno rear hubs and steering blocks, etc. A lot of those parts will be making the transition along with my current electronics. Other parts are undecided at the moment.

Anyways, I'll update the thread as parts start arriving.
(Last edited by Sneetches : 3.03.16 at 8:06 pm)
Youtube: MegaSneetch - RC videos whenever I can make them!
"Experienced user"
FLBenz - 3.02.16, 4:57 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Don't know if you had a chance to read this thread in the Slash 2wd forum, looks like he did something similar with a 2wd. I've always wanted to see how a 4wd would do so I'll be following your build. Good luck!

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220972
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 3.02.16, 8:59 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Sneetches, I like the way your P4de looks now!

RC addict and loving it
somewhere near Grass Valley, CA --- let's bash
"Experienced user"
404 - 3.02.16, 9:27 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I did this a while back, didn't stay in this form for very long at all. Converted my lcg to an hcg and swapped the arms for telluride stuff. With the big wheels and tires I ran steering was a huge issue, with the servo saver giving up way too easily. Also the diffs acted much differently, also slipping way too easily, and when I locked it I snapped an axle. That was it for that project lol.

"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.02.16, 9:44 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
FLBenz said
Don't know if you had a chance to read this thread in the Slash 2wd forum, looks like he did something similar with a 2wd. I've always wanted to see how a 4wd would do so I'll be following your build. Good luck!

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220972
I actually saw that and it is one inspiration for this build. I absolutely need 4x4 power though

DrJVogel said
Sneetches, I like the way your P4de looks now!
I like it too but it's been in the backseat for a while...my poor desert rat body had a huge blowout on the rear body post, so I have to fix that with the ol drywall tape / shoe goo. I also got to drive my friends Slash and it was over to the dark side for me lol, but I'm just keeping the Pede components in a box and may convert back later......or just build another 4x4 with them

404 said
I did this a while back, didn't stay in this form for very long at all. Converted my lcg to an hcg and swapped the arms for telluride stuff. With the big wheels and tires I ran steering was a huge issue, with the servo saver giving up way too easily. Also the diffs acted much differently, also slipping way too easily, and when I locked it I snapped an axle. That was it for that project lol.

How did you mount the body? So far that's the biggest hurdle I can see with this, while keeping it convenient to remove.

Also to be fair, you're running aluminum wheels and 5.8" Super Swampers...I'm just gonna run the 2.8" Badlands for now and my max tire size choice was 5.5". What SLW hubs are you using there?
(Last edited by Sneetches : 3.02.16 at 10:04 pm)
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.03.16, 8:07 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Some pics of the Yeti cage mocked up on the LCG chassis

Some things to ignore: Badlands with different offsets (these are from my 2wd Slash), no panels on body, cage isn't mounted yet.

And here are the lights that I want to use for the front. I don't have the light buckets for the rear of the cage yet.

Still need to get bearings and redo the diffs.
"I have the BEST words!"
lsear2905 - 3.03.16, 8:56 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Sneetches said
Some pics of the Yeti cage mocked up on the LCG chassis

WHOA.

If this mounts up well, I'm totally getting this body for my SlashMit 4x4...
from Melbourne, Australia (where Winter is Summer, and we use the metric system)

Bored? Check out and follow my Instagram feed @mycousinscrogg
Really bored? lsear2905's Garage in the General RC section
Want even more? Check out my flickr page at flickr.com/lsear
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.04.16, 9:20 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Well I tore the whole thing down and was a bit surprised at the trucks condition to be honest;

For one, my diffs looked like brand new. I had run at least 10 packs of 4S and easily 40 or so of 3S through the truck and I literally couldn't see a mark on the front nor the rear's pinon/spur. Pretty surprising considering I never touched them since I got the truck as a roller 2 years ago.

The bearings were all in decent condition but I went ahead and measured everything and then had to go pick out my own from Avid since I have larger bearings in the rear axle carriers and steering blocks (Tekno plastic parts). Waiting for those to come in now.

Gonna clean all the plastics and make the metal shiny again.

Otherwise, I'm now looking at body mounting options that still keep the hinging ability, and I have an idea.
"Experienced user"
404 - 3.04.16, 12:11 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Sneetches said

How did you mount the body? So far that's the biggest hurdle I can see with this, while keeping it convenient to remove.

Also to be fair, you're running aluminum wheels and 5.8" Super Swampers...I'm just gonna run the 2.8" Badlands for now and my max tire size choice was 5.5". What SLW hubs are you using there?
With the hcg chassis I just drilled two holes through the chassis lining up with the fake exhaust mounts. In the front I just put two new holes in the body and used my proline adjustable body set.

I believe these were 650- 725 hubs, and I still managed to marr up the aluminum knuckles.
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.05.16, 3:50 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Here's my first "rough draft" of the body mount. I plan to remake this later with 6061 aluminum but for now I just needed a proof of concept, and 2nd will be getting the right measurements with a styrene copy, then finally make the final draft in aluminum.

The idea is to use the SCX10 body mount from the cage parts and bolt it to the rear, and then sandwich the shock tower with 2 plates to hold it in place. ABS plastic should also work fine for this because it's pretty strong and flexible to an extent, which is what this current version is. My only hope is that either 1) The rear shock tower can withstand this, and 2) The thin plastic body mount can hold up to harsh rollovers and abuse. Again, this isn't the final version, which will have the body posts held in more securely than two 6mm screws lol.