Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 9.27.16, 9:57 am Post #11: | Reply With Quote
Have you ever started a build/project thread with a particular Title that you began to regret, because you didn't think that what you were working on would live up to it? Well, that is how I felt about this thread, up until the 2nd time I drove my new creation, on a 4S LiPo.

Well, coincidentally, just as I had predicted, I got into this build, and completed it, right at the end of summer. It wasn't planned, but on a whim, because I simply wanted a similar 2WD truck to compare my Rustler to, and I practically had everything I needed to build this one. The only extra part I bought was the pre-painted Traxxas Slash "Gordini" body and Traxxas part #3619, which is required to match the rear body mounting holes. I have a Pro-Line Dodge Ram SCT body, up in the attic, but it'll take time to get that one painted, and I wanted to get this on the road quickly, before our rainy season sets in (PacificNW), which is just around the corner.

I guess I'll start with the gearbox & motor, which is really the only thing that sets this apart from any other Slash 2WD. The reason I titled my thread "Jet Slash" is because I wanted to use one of the big Turnigy brushless outrunner motor I have, leftover from a failed scale/crawler experiment. The motor has 7 poles and yields serious torque, but starting & stopping was too abrupt for crawling. It didn't cog, but simply lacked smoothness, because it is sensorless. Having these extra motors is what prompted me to buy the Slash 2WD pre-roller chassis, because I knew that that gearbox would allow me to fit a necessarily large pinion, in order to get sufficient wheel speed from a low KV (1250) motor. Also, the battery tray would likely fit up to a 4S LiPo hard case battery, with an extension kit.

So, here's what I did. The motor is a Turnigy D3542 1250KV brushless outrunner, capable of 4S. It fit easily in the gearbox, with room to spin (as outrunners typically do), but a port had to be made on the back of the gearbox, for the wires to exit. I had an extra "black" gearbox, leftover from my old Traxxas MJ Son-uva Digger, so I modified it, in case I ever want to switch to a standard brushless inrunner. I also had to widen the bottom motor mount slot, in order to fit the big 35T pinion. I suppose I could've gotten a smaller spur gear, but that would've taken longer, and the Dremel tool was right there.

The only other modification I made was reinforcing the stock drive shafts, by screwing in #8-32 threaded rod into the hollow half-shafts, then trimming off the excess. This was done for my Rustler build, also, and has worked well, so far.

Electronics:
  • Turnigy D3542 1250KV brushless outrunner (7-pole)
  • HK100A esc (for motors with high pole count)
  • RPM 73272 ESC Cage for the Castle Sidewinder 3 and SCT ESC'S, Black (was able to make my HK100A esc fit...bonus!)
  • PowerHD 8312TG servo
  • Traxxas 6318 receiver
  • GoolRC LED lights
  • GForce 5400mah 60c 4S LiPo battery

Chassis, Wheels & Tires
  • Traxxas Slash VXL LCG 2WD pre-roller
  • Traxxas Slash "Gordini" SCT body (pre-painted)
  • Traxxas #3619 front/rear body mounts (same as on old Monster Jam trucks)
  • Axial 8-hole 2.2 plastic beadlock rims
  • HPI Racing Yokohama Geolandar 2.2 tires

Chassis pics:

Completed build pics:

The first time I ran it, I used a 3S LiPo, because I knew a 2S would be a joke, for such a low KV motor, even if it did have a large pinion. I picked an ESC that would support up to a 4S LiPo, since the motor was also 4S compatible. I figured I might need it. That initial run was okay, but the speed was only on par with a stock Traxxas VXL 2WD running 2S. For the 2nd run, I stepped up to a 4S, and that is when the "Jet Slash" came alive. I was all smiles, listening to that thing whine, as it sped up & down the street. Even taking off slow and building up to speed is pure enjoyment, because it sounds like a turbo diesel, or jet turbine cranking up, or winding down. The max temps I measured, using my infrared temp gun, was about 144, which I'm sure is within spec.

Overall, I'm absolutely satisfied with this truck, and I'm even fond of that fluorescent orange "Gordini" body. I think that that is one of the best looking SCT bodies that Traxxas has produced.

Full running video of the "Jet Slash" in action:

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

(Last edited by duhjun : 9.27.16 at 9:58 am) Reason: Font size increase
A.K.A. rcdabbler on other social media platforms, and johnnyluv on rccrawler forums.
"Experienced user"
phildogg - 9.27.16, 3:22 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
I like it.. how fast is it on 4s?
Mugen mgt7E 6s 134mph
slash 4x4 163mph 8s
Arrma typhon 140 and climbing.
castle powered
Youtube: philip jolley
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 9.27.16, 3:44 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
i have a spare outrunner laying around, i want to do this now...
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 9.27.16, 5:45 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
phildogg said
I like it.. how fast is it on 4s?
Thanks. I haven't measured it, so I can only guess that it's doing around 40mph. I might try and put a GPS on it, at some point, but I'm not out to push any envelopes. I think I'm going to take it right now, actually, now that my battery is charged. The GForce 5400mah 60c 4S takes forever to charge at 6 amps.

JesterTheJoker said
i have a spare outrunner laying around, i want to do this now...
Good luck! I should have noted that it does need to be a front mounting motor, with the shaft protruding out the front. The Turnigy D3542, and similar models, come with the shaft protruding from the rear, but it can be reversed. I have a video on my YouTube channel, showing the use of an arbor press to reverse the shaft. I used a drill press on the first one that I bought.
A.K.A. rcdabbler on other social media platforms, and johnnyluv on rccrawler forums.
"Experienced user"
phildogg - 9.27.16, 6:07 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
Man i want to do this also. lol
Mugen mgt7E 6s 134mph
slash 4x4 163mph 8s
castle powered
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 9.27.16, 6:12 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
duhjun said
Good luck! I should have noted that it does need to be a front mounting motor, with the shaft protruding out the front. The Turnigy D3542, and similar models, come with the shaft protruding from the rear, but it can be reversed. I have a video on my YouTube channel, showing the use of an arbor press to reverse the shaft. I used a drill press on the first one that I bought.
Mine is such a lower KV, 820KV to be exact, i have some pretty large pinions though, wonder if i can get anything out of 2S, thats all i run ATM
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 9.27.16, 11:42 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
phildogg said
Man i want to do this also. lol
This thing is a lot of fun, even at slower speeds, because of how cool it sounds. Kinda reminds me of the DeLorean in Back to the Future.
Talk about tire spinning torque, that 7-pole power plant can do it. I reinforced my half shafts, but it's probably only a matter of time until they snap at the yolk, or something. I don't constantly yank the throttle, but it's fun to watch the rear end break loose.
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 9.27.16, 11:48 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
JesterTheJoker said
Mine is such a lower KV, 820KV to be exact, i have some pretty large pinions though, wonder if i can get anything out of 2S, thats all i run ATM
That it is quite low. On 2S it would probably run like a trail truck.
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 9.28.16, 2:28 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
duhjun said
That it is quite low. On 2S it would probably run like a trail truck.
well i got the motor shaft switched, i just used a vice and a hammer. It worked, now im gonna install it in my slash and see what happens -u-
"Experienced user"
phildogg - 9.28.16, 3:08 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
Hey duhjun: so when we reverse the shaft leave the eclip off? and just tighten the grub screws down is all? lmk bro just ordered a motor. lol
Mugen mgt7E 6s 134mph
slash 4x4 163mph 8s
castle powered