Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Regular user"
GeoGoGo - 2.24.17, 1:44 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi Everyone!

My name is George and I have been lurking her for a month or so. This is my first post and wanted to introduce myself.

I am been doing research and decided I wanted a Slash 4x2. This is my first foray into the RC hobby and I was hoping to get some ideas or suggestions.

After spending some time at my local track, I have decided that I think I want to go with LiPO as opposed to the NiMH. Is there any harm in running the stock brushed motor on a LiPO? Can anyone recommend the best LiPO battery and charger?

What would the best logical first upgrade? I will be doing a lot of bashing in my yard and parks. I am thinking tires. I saw a set up on YouTube that I really liked. It was a Slash on a set of 2.8 Trenchers. I understand I will have to lift and trim the body. What do you guys think?

I think that is a good place to stop. I am going to have tons of questions. Thank you all so much for the time! Enjoy your Friday and have a fantastic weekend!

Respectfully,

George D.
"Experienced user"
Tweeter01 - 2.28.17, 4:04 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Hey George welcome here. The slash is a good start for a rc. You wont hurt anything by installing a lipo. Just make sure the lipo mode is turned on though. Lots of good vhargers out there. Hi tec makes really good chargers and have all the features of charging, balance charge, storage mode, discharge, etc. Also always alway charge any lipo in a balance charge.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 2.28.17, 4:43 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Welcome. Ask about a charger you'll get 20 different opinions. Most work. Some are faster and have more features. But not always needed. I used an simple basic used charger for 4 years without issue. Other then bit slow.
I will always suggest running stock first to get feel for it. Yes tires make big difference. But unless you can compare to something, how can you know. And you'll get 50 different suggestions.
"Experienced user"
Thumper01 - 2.28.17, 5:17 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Billy Kelly said
Welcome. Ask about a charger you'll get 20 different opinions. Most work. Some are faster and have more features. But not always needed. I used an simple basic used charger for 4 years without issue. Other then bit slow.
I will always suggest running stock first to get feel for it. Yes tires make big difference. But unless you can compare to something, how can you know. And you'll get 50 different suggestions.

100% agree. Run it stock for awhile and you'll be surprised at what it's capable of. Especially if it's your first RC. There really is no "best" when it comes to most of this stuff. Like Billy said, you'll get a million different answers from a million different people. I've had good luck with SMC, Zippy, and Turnigy batteries. For chargers, Hitec and the Thunder AC680 have both been good so far. There are tons of great battery and charger brands out there. Don't worry too much about upgrades right away. Once you start, its hard to stop. Before you know it you'll have more $ in upgrades than what you paid for the whole RTR truck!!! Welcome to the hobby George!
"Regular user"
GeoGoGo - 3.01.17, 8:24 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Thank you all for the input, Guys! I really appreciate it!
"Experienced user"
BobT - 3.10.17, 11:27 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Don't replace if it ain't broke. RPM makes great replacement parts that are a little more $ then stock but far less than aluminum.

Be sure to set your speed control to Lipo (green light on esc). If the light is red it will not shut down before damaging your lipo.

Your owners manual is the most important part of any RC vehicle.
Bob T
Support your local hobby shop.
THE USER'S MANUAL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR VEHICLE, DONT'T LOOSE IT!