Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Regular user"
Noel2 - 4.20.17, 10:19 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
Hopefully they addressed the issues with the mini 8ight and mini 8ight-t in this new platform. If the electronics perform well and the driveline and suspension components are durable, it should be very competitive with LC Racing's minis.
"Experienced user"
smirk-racing - 4.20.17, 11:24 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
Anyway, this looks like a neat little miniature version of the Ten-SCBE, kinda like what Axial did with the Mini Yeti.
Strangely, the Yeti Jr is not quite a near-perfect replica of its big brother (which has been my experience with most minis that are based on a larger vehicle). They Jr moves the battery way up high over the rear tires:

I don't understand why - the vehicle is very tippy (as one would imagine when the heaviest single component is as high as possible).

I have been experimenting with moving the battery close to where it is in the regular Yeti and that seems to be an improvement.
"Manowarrior"
targetingxmod - 4.21.17, 1:08 am Post #13: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
Anyway, this looks like a neat little miniature version of the Ten-SCBE, kinda like what Axial did with the Mini Yeti.
Wait, what? Is there a mini Yeti? Where that come from...
Yeti's i only knowed the 1/10 & XL 1/8... hum...googling now...
EDIT:

-Well it's real...i missed it completly! Hum... is this recent? How much time on market? Ok...saw the Axial video... 12-2016... 4 months i didn't know a new rc was come up... well this surprises me! :P

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

Also as for the mini8 platform i only use the merv spur mod cause of speed. There is no other reason people should change the stock spur, other then steel to bash! The stock spur has 2 (ferodo alikes) pads where the merv as only one...

And they did it right now with using a 29mm diameter motor on the Truggy platform. I wonder if the 25A is capable of all day long 3s use
(Last edited by targetingxmod : 4.21.17 at 1:18 am)
Oh Lord, save me from those "internet warrior's" typing from mom's basement...
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 4.21.17, 1:29 am Post #14: | Reply With Quote
Putting the battery over the rear axle on the Mini Yeti improves weight balance and jumping performance. That's the ideal place to put the battery on all of these solid-rear-axle vehicles because they desperately need more sprung-weight in the rear, but unfortunately the 4-link suspension they use means the battery sits too high and makes the vehicle top-heavy. If they used two trailing-arms with rigid mounting points on the rear axle, plus a Watt link to keep the axle centered, the battery could be mounted much lower, in the area currently occupied by the upper links.

If I ever try another solid-rear-axle vehicle I'm going to see if I can chop it up and equip it with suspension like I just described. I'm sick of high-speed SRS trucks that still use rock-crawler suspension geometry and handle poorly because of it.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 4.21.17, 1:31 am Post #15: | Reply With Quote
Noel2 said
Hopefully they addressed the issues with the mini 8ight and mini 8ight-t in this new platform. If the electronics perform well and the driveline and suspension components are durable, it should be very competitive with LC Racing's minis.
Who is LC Racing?
"Experienced user"
Jay-Em - 4.21.17, 2:18 am Post #16: | Reply With Quote
Reminds me of a taiwanese (I believe) buggy in 1/14, released some years ago by team-c or LC Racing, or something. I badly wanted that, but it was never imported in the EU. I mainly wanted it as a smaller EXO, with a far less frustrating way of changing batteries.

I guess this is going to be available at léast in the UK. So I'll grab it this time, me thinks.
(Last edited by Jay-Em : 4.21.17 at 2:21 am)
"Basically, they're still toys.."
"Manowarrior"
targetingxmod - 4.21.17, 4:22 am Post #17: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
Who is LC Racing?
http://www.lcracing.de/index.php/2016/06/14/114-truggy/
-German website from a Twain company? lol

Or TACON "soar" on the buggy!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...DT-and-MT-info

They are like HongNor vs Ofna vs Hobao... same boyz!...

LC Racing make better Rc's then the Losi Mini8ight's out of the box...but who win's the marketing departmente is Horizon Hobby! So LC Racing is moslty knowed by local track's...not the general public!

-Truggy 1/14
(Last edited by targetingxmod : 4.21.17 at 4:28 am)
Oh Lord, save me from those "internet warrior's" typing from mom's basement...
"Experienced user"
Backyard RC - 4.21.17, 6:34 am Post #18: | Reply With Quote
Tacon vehicles are are manufactured by LC Racing in Hong Kong.

There's a group in Michigan that do some serious racing with LC Racing vehicles. They even have upgraded diffs (4 gear) that I haven't seen anywhere else.
http://www.casterracingmi.com/

Some other possitives of this new Losi Mini DB, The bodies for the LC Racing/Tacon Rally and SCT will fit. Hopefully this cage can be cross compatible too.
Tekno SCT 410.3, Arrma Kraton, Traxxas Slash 4x4, Tacon/LC Racing Rally/SCT/MT x3, Losi Mini 8ight, Carisma M10DB, Axial AX10 Deadbolt, Vaterra Ascender '72 Bronco, Thunder Tiger Kaiser XS, Sky RC SR5 Super Rider
"Experienced user"
smirk-racing - 4.21.17, 7:20 am Post #19: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
Putting the battery over the rear axle on the Mini Yeti improves weight balance and jumping performance. That's the ideal place to put the battery on all of these solid-rear-axle vehicles because they desperately need more sprung-weight in the rear, but unfortunately the 4-link suspension they use means the battery sits too high and makes the vehicle top-heavy. If they used two trailing-arms with rigid mounting points on the rear axle, plus a Watt link to keep the axle centered, the battery could be mounted much lower, in the area currently occupied by the upper links.

If I ever try another solid-rear-axle vehicle I'm going to see if I can chop it up and equip it with suspension like I just described. I'm sick of high-speed SRS trucks that still use rock-crawler suspension geometry and handle poorly because of it.
I will see about building this. I have had massive success with upgrading to a parallel 4 link with panhard bar on my lunchbox. Mind-blowingly great performance despite the same issue of low unsprung mass due to MOA design.

I am not familiar with the design you mention. Maybe you could give me some tips. I will try to translate the theory to practice. Here is a pic:

(Last edited by smirk-racing : 4.21.17 at 9:14 am)
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 4.21.17, 10:23 am Post #20: | Reply With Quote
That is essentially the design I was talking about. It has upper and lower links with pivots on the ends, instead of just lower links with rigid mounting points, but the important thing is the upper links aren't near the middle of the axle so they aren't occupying space that the battery needs. That design should work fine, because the battery could sit lower, just above the rear-center driveshaft. You might even configure the battery tray to be hinged with an attachment point on the rear axle, similar to the Vaterra Ascender's battery tray, to keep the battery even lower. However, this would convert part of the battery into unsprung-weight, which would reduce its ability to keep the rear of the vehicle from bouncing wildly over jumps.

Regarding the Watt link: The picture you found doesn't show where the ends of the link attach. They would need to attach to rigid vertical supports that extend downward from the rear cage. It may be difficult to make supports that are stiff enough, since the rear cage is made of plastic. The cage may have to be reinforced with steel bars in a few places to stiffen it. Those steel bars should be as low as possible to avoid raising the center of gravity more than absolutely necessary.
(Last edited by fyrstormer : 4.21.17 at 10:25 am)