Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 4.19.17, 6:02 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
Well, that *is* all drifting is, but there are certain differences like weight balance and center-of-gravity that make a big difference in the car's controllability. Just slapping some drift tires on a touring car will make for an underwhelming and frustrating experience, as I learned firsthand shortly after I got into this hobby.
While all those things are true. To the average person looking to drift this is what they will mostly be doing. I just picked a random video.

https://youtu.be/_Ctd_4_UAvk

And this will do that.

I never really thought about weight balance with any of my driftcars. And with couple small changes, servo and shocks, and a lot of practice. I can makes same vehicle do this

https://youtu.be/Ia5W5tuYDJI

With a car like this at least they have option of just putting a set of touring car tires on and running it that way. Instead of jumping to a dedicated drifter right off the bat.
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 4.19.17, 7:39 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Fair enough. The funny thing, though, is people buy purpose-made drift tires for that kind of driving, but I can drift in circles and figure-8's with HPI Pro-compound tires -- and then take off like a shot in a straight line after exiting the drift, because the tires actually have traction.

Of course, in order to drift with grippy tires you have to go a lot faster, which I guess leaves less time for admiring your own driving.

Anyway, from what I can tell, drift cars work better when they have a more forward weight bias than a typical touring car has, and they can also benefit from mounting the battery on a platform above the center driveshaft so the car can still lean in corners despite having slippery tires that offer no traction.
(Last edited by fyrstormer : 4.19.17 at 7:43 pm)
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 4.19.17, 8:09 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
I use hpi T drifts. Takes a lot serious amount of running to wear out a set. For faster, more powersliding type drifting the Traxxas 1/16 slicks work. Might be only thing they good for
"Experienced user"
ThePanda - 4.19.17, 9:43 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said

Anyway, from what I can tell, drift cars work better when they have a more forward weight bias than a typical touring car has, and they can also benefit from mounting the battery on a platform above the center driveshaft so the car can still lean in corners despite having slippery tires that offer no traction.
when drifting was more oriented to 50-50 or lower to mid cs ratios many preferred a forward weight bias. It gave the ability to slide the rear, even under quite low power, and in turn low speeds.

oddly enough it has started to come full circle. with the introduction of extremely high CS ratios and RWD many of the "mostly higher end" kits now are back to mid center or rear center with battery mounted rearwards or even behind the rear shock tower, just to try and gain a little traction back in.

any I'm just satisfied sliding my xv01 around the local parking lots, but I still have a low key desire to pick up one of the sakura D4 kits.
Tamiya crazed
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 4.19.17, 9:55 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
Hah! Drifting has come full circle! I get it!
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.