Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Stupid is as stupid does"
SLASHBASHIN - 7.07.17, 12:58 am Post #11: | Reply With Quote
wave_rider91 said
i herd the original owner died and his kids took it over and in an attempt to turn it into more of an online retailer ran it into the ground. any truth to that?
I think that is a possibility. The company clearly went down quickly.
"Stupid is as stupid does"
SLASHBASHIN - 7.07.17, 1:01 am Post #12: | Reply With Quote
vintage said
I don't blame them for renovating a store that was losing money (gotta try to turn it around somehow), but I hope skipping the after Christmas order was a mistake and not intentional, it's hard to see how that could be a smart move.
It wasnt that they renovated a store that was losing money, they opened this store in a new location and put a ton of money into it without really knowing the market it seems.
"Experienced user"
Thumper01 - 7.07.17, 8:27 am Post #13: | Reply With Quote
What's funny is that once the DHK 1/8 lineup upgraded the electronics package, the vehicles are are pretty darn good value, IMO. I bought a Zombie 8e a couple months back, and it's awesome. Under $300 shipped and it's a beast. Too bad the updates didn't happen sooner or maybe it could have helped pull HobbyPeople out of the mess. Brushless, lipo battery included, based on 1/8 scale buggy platform vehicles priced less than a brushed E Maxx is a very attractive option for that price range. Maybe if they were marketed better and came with the aforementioned updates, folks would've been more informed on this lineup. Who knows?
"Vacattoning user"
SuburbnHooligan - 7.10.17, 8:02 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
perry said
There's still a rumor that Hobby Shack may return at some point
the Hobby Shack name takes me back. used to buy model cars there back in like 94-95.

i stopped going to Hobby People back in like 2000 cause i didn't like the manager. then he left and it was a revolving door of clueless behind the counter. and the parking lot sucked. started to dread having to go to that place. it seemed like it was finally starting to turn into something good again and then inventory started to suck.

first So Cal Raceway moved, then So Cal Raceway closed. then Hobby Warehouse closed. now Hobby People is closed. used to hit those places like crazy back in the 90's. all these places are closed, it's like the 90's are over or somethin'.
i guess the good news is there's now the RC Street Shop and its pretty cool.
just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it wont be a good time.
i used to crash a lot. i still do, but i used to, too.
It's my duty as a human being to be pissed off.
"Experienced user"
thegrafxguy - 7.10.17, 8:21 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
I miss my Hobby People. There are now no full hobby shops short of at least an hour drive. Associated is half a mile from my studio, nitrohouse is probably only a mile away, but neither are what I consider to be a full fledged hobby shop. Nitrohouse is great, and carries a lot of stuff, but they aren't really open to the public. Every time I go down there I have to call first so that Tim knows I'm coming, otherwise he's not necessarily there to sell stuff in person, and I always just pull up to the back warehouse door. There is no storefront to speak of.

Hobby people here had just started to get the 8th scale Arrma stuff in stock too, really bummed they are no more. Here's hoping the old Shack comes back.
Arrma Talion - ACE Ripper 2000kv, HW Quicrun 150a, Brushless 25kg servo

Sakura D4 AWD - Tacon 3930kv, HW EZRun 60a, Blue Bird Servo

Spektrum DX4S
"Experienced user"
perry - 7.10.17, 9:29 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
SuburbnHooligan said
the Hobby Shack name takes me back. used to buy model cars there back in like 94-95.

i stopped going to Hobby People back in like 2000 cause i didn't like the manager. then he left and it was a revolving door of clueless behind the counter. and the parking lot sucked. started to dread having to go to that place. it seemed like it was finally starting to turn into something good again and then inventory started to suck.

first So Cal Raceway moved, then So Cal Raceway closed. then Hobby Warehouse closed. now Hobby People is closed. used to hit those places like crazy back in the 90's. all these places are closed, it's like the 90's are over or somethin'.
i guess the good news is there's now the RC Street Shop and its pretty cool.
Did you go to the SoCal Hobby Warehouse or the one in Sacramento?
tamiyafier said
Whenever someone replies "k thks m8 lol" i die a little inside.

still runnin' cars like I clean my teeth: with brushes.

"makya" on most other forums
"Vacattoning user"
SuburbnHooligan - 7.11.17, 5:19 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
So Cal. Lakewood to be specific. South st. and Lakewood blvd. it was on one side of South, burned down (electrical fire) and moved to the other side of the street. i though it was just a local shop, the owner was in there all the time, his son worked the counter in the RC section. the few other employees in there knew there stuff. it was also well stocked for anything you could ever need. bought a lot of model cars from there to. used to get all my lowrider parts there.

i didn't know there was a Sac store. do you know if the 2 stores were related?
just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it wont be a good time.
i used to crash a lot. i still do, but i used to, too.
It's my duty as a human being to be pissed off.
"Experienced user"
perry - 7.11.17, 6:07 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
SuburbnHooligan said
So Cal. Lakewood to be specific. South st. and Lakewood blvd. it was on one side of South, burned down (electrical fire) and moved to the other side of the street. i though it was just a local shop, the owner was in there all the time, his son worked the counter in the RC section. the few other employees in there knew there stuff. it was also well stocked for anything you could ever need. bought a lot of model cars from there to. used to get all my lowrider parts there.

i didn't know there was a Sac store. do you know if the 2 stores were related?
I'm not sure. The Sac store had an indoor track that I raced both Norrca and ROAR regionals at, and it shut down in the late 90's. I heard that there was a Hobby Warehouse in SoCal, but I don't remember if they were connected.
tamiyafier said
Whenever someone replies "k thks m8 lol" i die a little inside.

still runnin' cars like I clean my teeth: with brushes.

"makya" on most other forums