Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
kongluc - 7.11.17, 5:54 am Post #331: | Reply With Quote
cyrano2040 said
Hi guys, after a long long long time
Same here... been about 3yrs for me....there's been a lot of addition's to this thread
"Experienced user"
Noel2 - 7.11.17, 8:33 am Post #332: | Reply With Quote
kongluc said
Perhaps you didn't read the whole post...i want to upgrade to rally foams...no-one makes foams that fit this car...they are all for the rc18r, yaknow like BSR foams
If the RC18r uses 12mm hexes it should work. I'll assume it doesn't and that's why you're asking about the axle conversion.

I'm pretty sure 65mm touring car wheels would work, there's probably foam offerings in that size. The stock SST tires are 67mm and the Teton's are 64mm.
"Experienced user"
kongluc - 7.11.17, 8:42 am Post #333: | Reply With Quote
Noel2 said
If the RC18r uses 12mm hexes it should work. I'll assume it doesn't and that's why you're asking about the axle conversion.

I'm pretty sure 65mm touring car wheels would work, there's probably foam offerings in that size. The stock SST tires are 67mm and the Teton's are 64mm.
The latrax rally does not come with 12mm hexes...you have to upgrade the hub to SST...

The latrax rally...which is what i have...has wheels that are like 46mm tall...65mm wheels are too big for a latrax rally...only wheels that are even close to fitting are dromida, but the "aren't" foam
"Experienced user"
nsticka - 7.12.17, 6:07 am Post #334: | Reply With Quote
you can fit team assoc rc18r wheels on latrax rally on stock hub if you flip tire. the outside face of rim now faces in and fits perfectly over the 8mm stock hub. I used a washer and 20mm bolt to install.

hard to find foams that small but change to 12mm hex and you can use contact or xceed foams but will only fit on rear. no clearance for front to turn. I have pretty much given up on the latrax rally..
Ofna-GTP2e speed runner
Losi-SCTE 1.0-drag/speed 2200kv/6s
TRX-Slash 4x4 8s capable speeder
TRX Rustler VXL-on hiatus currently.
TRX ERBE- 6s and 28/50 gearing; still in progress.
"Experienced user"
jimcjeep - 7.12.17, 9:06 am Post #335: | Reply With Quote
Willywils said
Hi Guys,

Posted here for the first time a few days ago so just testing if this is working? Would love some advice on a brushless Teton I'm building. If this works I will share a video of my issue.

Thanks!
Sounds like the typical cogging you get with smaller brushless systems causing your climbing from a stop issue. Because they are sensorless the speed controller energizes the coils in the motor from a random starting point because it does not know the rotors position and that is what will cause cogging when speeds are very low and higher torque is needed.
Did you try a short, slow roll up to the obstacle? Perhaps lowering the gearing might help. I've gotten pinions as low as 8-tooth but haven't tried them yet to know if they work without mods.
"Regular user"
Willywils - 7.14.17, 4:21 am Post #336: | Reply With Quote
jimcjeep said
Sounds like the typical cogging you get with smaller brushless systems causing your climbing from a stop issue. Because they are sensorless the speed controller energizes the coils in the motor from a random starting point because it does not know the rotors position and that is what will cause cogging when speeds are very low and higher torque is needed.
Did you try a short, slow roll up to the obstacle? Perhaps lowering the gearing might help. I've gotten pinions as low as 8-tooth but haven't tried them yet to know if they work without mods.
Thank you, sir! That makes sense. If it's already rolling then yes, it will climb. Just no torque from a stand still.

I just got 2x sets of the TA Diff Kits delivered today to attach my Hot Racing steel outdrives to. I had the rear diff apart last week to try and locate the grinding in the drive train. The steel RPM diff that was in it has massive grooves cut in to it and the balls had been deformed! I guess the previous owner had tightened the diff so much that the diff-balls were just grinding. That would explain why the diff has no diff action. It's just locked. The added friction might explain why the motor overheats prematurely aswell.

DSC_0313.JPG

I'll build these and then swap out both diffs. If that doesn't fix the grinding issue then I will have to look elsewhere...Will try and record a video of the issue tonight.
(Last edited by Willywils : 7.14.17 at 4:54 am)
Tamiya Clodbuster - the dream at 14. Traxxas X-Maxx - Reality 2017.
"Experienced user"
Noel2 - 7.14.17, 8:24 am Post #337: | Reply With Quote
You could have just gotten the new metal diffs traxxas released. Part number 7579X. They're $8 for 1. A lot cheaper than the TA option.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...a7579x/p661594
"Regular user"
Willywils - 7.14.17, 10:54 pm Post #338: | Reply With Quote
Noel2 said
You could have just gotten the new metal diffs traxxas released. Part number 7579X. They're $8 for 1. A lot cheaper than the TA option.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...a7579x/p661594
Hi,

Yeah, I did see these but they're not compatible with the Hot Racing steel Outdrives. TA kits are cheap enough and come with 2x shims also.
"Regular user"
Willywils - 7.17.17, 1:04 am Post #339: | Reply With Quote
Hi,

I installed the 2x TA diffs on Friday night and finally found the major grinding problem!!! Rear diff was bad but the front diff was totally ruined and barely turned at all. No wonder the motor was overheating after 10 mins. It's now as smooth as butter.

I took a few photos to share.

New Parts!

Diff = dead.

Look at the state of the aluminium outdrives. The steel GPM gear was grooved to s***. These were on the car when I bought it. Now in the bin. Upgraded to Hot Racing steel outdrives.

In with the new!

New diff going in with Hot Racing steel outdrives and new bearings.

You can see the Hot Racing steel spur gear already installed. The best thing about this gear; it comes with an aluminum spacer that sits behind the gear to ensure it sits in the right position BUT it also stops dirt and sand getting in via the driveshaft behind it, which is a well documented design flaw on the Teton. Win Win!

Hot Racing steel CVDs already installed

Motor & ESC

"I love it whan a plan comes together"

(Last edited by Willywils : Yesterday at 6:40 am) Reason: Title not appearing?
"Experienced user"
jimcjeep - 7.17.17, 10:53 am Post #340: | Reply With Quote
Psst.... There is a new truck coming from LaTrax.... I believe it is a desert runner.
Im hoping it is built on the SST chassis.