Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
thegrafxguy - 5.06.17, 10:37 pm Post #141: | Reply With Quote
I've already got one of those Dremel setups and a scale. This is rad. Thanks for the idea
RC8.2e Factory Team - RC Gear Shop 2150kv, HW XERun SCT Pro, Savox 1260 Servo

Sakura D4 AWD - Tacon 3930kv, HW EZRun 60a, Blue Bird Servo

Spektrum DX4S
"Experienced user"
tsair - 5.06.17, 11:12 pm Post #142: | Reply With Quote
thegrafxguy said
I've already got one of those Dremel setups and a scale. This is rad. Thanks for the idea
Awesome! Nothing like free tools! The only thing I forgot to mention is that the underside of the Workstation isn't flat, so I recommend using a small plexiglass or fiberglass piece to provide a flat surface to press down on the spring.
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC
"Experienced user"
thegrafxguy - 5.07.17, 11:16 am Post #143: | Reply With Quote
Word
RC8.2e Factory Team - RC Gear Shop 2150kv, HW XERun SCT Pro, Savox 1260 Servo

Sakura D4 AWD - Tacon 3930kv, HW EZRun 60a, Blue Bird Servo

Spektrum DX4S
"Experienced user"
tsair - 5.08.17, 8:08 pm Post #144: | Reply With Quote
I got the Integy springs and did some measurements. They are all quite soft through the first inch of compression. The greens were in the 2lb. Xoz./inch range, and I think the blacks were at about 3 lbs, 2oz. IIRC through the first inch.

But the blacks are quite progressive and ramp up quickly after the first inch, much more than the Losi springs.
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC
"Experienced user"
tsair - 5.17.17, 10:50 pm Post #145: | Reply With Quote
Update on shocks/springs:

At our dusty outdoor basher track, I wasn't happy with the stock shocks and Integy springs, so I fit on a set of 22-4 shocks from eBay.

The 22-4 shocks are working much better (obviously) and come with a variety of springs that are nice and linear. Fronts are 3-4mm shorter, and rears are 1mm longer. I'm running less droop all the way around and more laydown in the rear, so the shocks actually fit pretty well. Front purple and rear red, 50wt front and 45wt rear. I found they need way thicker fluid to get even close to proper damping.

Anyway, if you're looking to go with another brand of shocks, I think the TLR 22-4's are a good choice.
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 5.18.17, 5:28 am Post #146: | Reply With Quote
That's good news, thanks for sharing! Any chance the shocks came with optional smaller piston holes or did you get them used with only 1 set of pistons installed?

Is there any slop on the TLR shock ball ends or did you have to swap them out with the HoBao shock ends?
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
tsair - 5.18.17, 8:26 am Post #147: | Reply With Quote
I bought a new set of 22-4 2.0 shocks, they come with 2x1.5mm up front and 2x1.7mm in the rear. The 1.0's come with 2x1.6 in the front.

TLR makes other sizes (3x1.4, 5x1.0, etc. IIRC) as well.

I kept the TLR shock ends, but put the Hobao hollow balls in them -- they fit perfectly. I'm also using the TLR +4mm shock cups so that they clear the arms better.

The cool thing is TLR shocks bodies and shafts are interchangeable. If you wanted longer front shocks, you could put on 22 rear shock bodies for an extra 5mm of length to make up the difference.

I'll shoot a YouTube video in the next week showing what they look like.
(Last edited by tsair : 5.18.17 at 8:29 am)
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 5.18.17, 12:21 pm Post #148: | Reply With Quote
nice to have so many options!

I also have some HPI Blitz ESE shocks that might work, I think there might be a decent spring selection for them as well.
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"RC Nut"
edgeverse - 5.19.17, 5:46 pm Post #149: | Reply With Quote
Blitz shocks are decent.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
"Experienced user"
tsair - 5.20.17, 10:04 am Post #150: | Reply With Quote
Just some out loud thinking that might give you guys ideas. On high traction I found that one of the challenges is the fore/aft pitching under acceleration/braking. There's no anti-squat or kick up adjustment, so I was pretty much controlling it with wheelbase and stiffer springs. Lowering the CG and limiting droop helped too.

But I found stiffer springs were much more necessary than either a 4WD buggy or SC of similar size (buggy) or weight (SC).
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC