Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 5.11.17, 2:10 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
So I don't mean to be too skeptical but I'm very close to getting a 5th scale smoker, and this thing looks like the ticket. However, something in the back of my mind says it just seems to good to be true. Currently $700 at DDM, everything I've read pointing to it being better designed than the DBXL, and the only downside really being not much parts support except through DDM. Is this currently the best entry-level 5th scale option right now or should I just cough up the money for the 5ive?
Youtube: MegaSneetch - RC videos whenever I can make them!
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 5.12.17, 2:37 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Well after talking to Steve @ DDM and doing some continuous comparisons, I now have an XCR-1000 on the way. Will have to pick up the servos I want a bit down the line so it won't be running right away but I will probably just use the downtime to go over the truck.
"Experienced user"
Norco kid - 5.12.17, 5:47 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Let us know how it turns out! I think you made a great choice! If I had a place to run 5th scale I would definitely be tempted by one of these... Especially for $700!
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 5.12.17, 9:35 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I would definitely like to give the rig some coverage since I don't see much out there about it. Plan on using the Spektrum S9020 for steering and maybe a Hitec 7955TG for throttle.
"Experienced user"
WTs Pauly - 5.13.17, 6:35 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I have one converted brushless and it's a great rig. Once you have it in your hands you'll be pleased with the quality of the XCR.
Tekno MT410 - Tekno D8T - Vorza D8T - E-Maxx: FLM & RPM - Axial Wraith - TT K-Rock SWB - TT Kaiser XS - TT Bushmaster 8E - RCMK XCR-1000 Brushless
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 5.14.17, 11:12 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I was thinking of going brushless with the DBXL-E, but decided against it because of cost of batteries. I already have around 20 batteries to maintain as it is, plus for just 2 pairs of 4S packs it'd probably be around $300+. Noise is no problem where I run so I'm fortunate on that part, so I understand why brushless is necessary for some people.
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 5.19.17, 9:26 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I will update the thread with some pics later, but the rig came in and I'm just impressed with the quality. Only one small, weird issue is that both fuel lines from the carb were cut right at the grommet into the fuel tank, meaning I have to order some fuel line to replace both. Otherwise I'll run down a list of things to check/loc-tite while the thing is still in roller status.
"Welcome to you're "doom!""
Dave_S - 5.19.17, 12:16 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Sneetches said
I will update the thread with some pics later, but the rig came in and I'm just impressed with the quality. Only one small, weird issue is that both fuel lines from the carb were cut right at the grommet into the fuel tank, meaning I have to order some fuel line to replace both. Otherwise I'll run down a list of things to check/loc-tite while the thing is still in roller status.
Awesome. Congrats on purchase.

That sounds really freaking weird about the fuel lines. Did if come with fuel filter, and does it come with inline filter? I'm also curious to hear your thoughts on the brakes. Looks like it uses two pads in front? Is that carbon fiber?

If you're anxious to run you could get some fuel line locally pretty much anywhere.

DDM is pretty awesome. My last piece of candy was stale though
(Last edited by Dave_S : 5.19.17 at 12:19 pm)
I don't post much, but when i do i prefer Dos Eques.
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 5.19.17, 12:30 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Dave_S said
Awesome. Congrats on purchase.

That sounds really freaking weird about the fuel lines. Did if come with fuel filter, and does it come with inline filter? I'm also curious to hear your thoughts on the brakes. Looks like it uses two pads in front? Is that carbon fiber?

If you're anxious to run you could get some fuel line locally pretty much anywhere.

DDM is pretty awesome. My last piece of candy was stale though
I'll post the pic later but it was indeed weird, the lines were cut right at the grommet and hanging on by threads. There's a fuel filter on the end of the line in the tank, but no inline filter.

Yes, the 2 front and 1 rear brake discs are carbon fiber, which came as quite the suprise to me. I know CF has low thermal expansion and good heat resistance, just never imagined them being used as brake discs.

Servo wise, I think i'm going to get the Spektrum S9020 for steering and maybe the Savox SV-0235 for throttle, but I'm open to option for the throttle servo right now.
"Welcome to you're "doom!""
Dave_S - 5.19.17, 12:37 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I'm going to upgrade my throttle servo to have more holding power on the brakes, but I only have two brake discs and I think my rc is like 32 pounds or so.
I don't post much, but when i do i prefer Dos Eques.