Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
jbarelds - 11.20.16, 5:33 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I'm in the process of converting my LCG Slash 2wd to a 1/8 e-buggy. I know it won't ever be, or drive like, a real 1/8 buggy, but it doesn't need to, as I also have a "proper" 1/8 buggy too.

So far I managed to fit a body (JConcepts Illuzion for Losi 8ight 2.0), and managed to properly mount a wing (RB One R mount and wing).

Putting the Slash next to a 1/8 buggy, I noticed the track width is quite a bit narrower. About 4/5 to an inch (or 20..25mm). I'd like to widen the track, to make it more 1/8th-ish.

I know Proline has the ProTrac kit, but I'm hearing complaints about specifically the front a-arms. Multiple mentions of frequent breakages, also on this forum.

The final iteration of Dr. Isotope's Slash8 uses the SC10 4x4 front arms (the RPM ones), and Traxxas Rustler/Stampede rear arms. I'm confident the Rustler/Stampede arms will fit well for the rear. But the SC10 arms feel a bit like a gamble. Haven't seen others do this yet. And Dr. Isotope didn't provide images detailing the assembly. Is this an easy fix, or are there lots of other parts required to make this work (other then the obvious longer camber and steering links)?
"Experienced user"
jbarelds - 11.20.16, 5:59 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Current status.

"Stay Fit"
Corrupt - 11.21.16, 10:18 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Why don't you use the RPM wide track arms?

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a-...ede-2wd-black/

-Corrupt
Stay Fit.
"Dirtbag rc'er"
Fiero_Man_121 - 11.22.16, 6:54 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
The protrac arms are alright, i havent broken one yet on my sla2h. I think putting big 8th scale parts on it will push their limits but otherwise they do work just fine.

Bitd we use rear rustler/pede arms all around and just shimmed them up to fit but since rpm came out with the wide track arms its kind of a no brainer.

My only big suggestion, if youre going to wide arms is to support those arms with a aluminum bulkhead and good hinge pins (strc or lunsford). Also consider that bearing wear will increse and you will need good rod ends.

When you go longer you put more stress on all your components, some get away with it but if youre the kind of hobbyist who takes lots of care of your toys youll notice the accelerated wear and tear.
Florida Oval Racer | Vintage traxxas collector | Mad Scientist
"Experienced user"
jbarelds - 11.23.16, 2:57 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help guys!

Corrupt said
Why don't you use the RPM wide track arms?

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a-...ede-2wd-black/

-Corrupt
Didn't even know those exist! But maybe that would be a bit too much. I'm aiming at around 1 cm per side (2 cm total) extra width both front and rear (maybe 2.5 cm max). These will give me 3.2 cm.

Reading the text, front and read would align nicely when combined with rustler/stampede rear arms. That means the rustler/stampede rear arms might also be a tad wider then what I'm looking for.

Fiero_Man_121 said
The protrac arms are alright, i havent broken one yet on my sla2h. I think putting big 8th scale parts on it will push their limits but otherwise they do work just fine.

Bitd we use rear rustler/pede arms all around and just shimmed them up to fit but since rpm came out with the wide track arms its kind of a no brainer.

My only big suggestion, if youre going to wide arms is to support those arms with a aluminum bulkhead and good hinge pins (strc or lunsford). Also consider that bearing wear will increse and you will need good rod ends.

When you go longer you put more stress on all your components, some get away with it but if youre the kind of hobbyist who takes lots of care of your toys youll notice the accelerated wear and tear.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Protrac kit. I think the Protrac arms aren't as wide as the rustler/stampede ones, am I right?

Point taken regarding the extra wear on lots of things caused by the added leverage in the arms. I guess I'll just upgrade things as they break. Kind of used to that with the Slash.
"Dirtbag rc'er"
Fiero_Man_121 - 11.23.16, 8:57 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
They are atleast as long as the rusty rear arms, with the bonus of toe built into the rear arms, i think they are quiet a bit longer actually. The fronts are of course.
(Last edited by Fiero_Man_121 : 11.23.16 at 9:00 am)
Florida Oval Racer | Vintage traxxas collector | Mad Scientist
"Experienced user"
jbarelds - 11.23.16, 1:15 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Hmm, surprising.
In the AMain video demonstrating the ProTrac kit, they mention it's only about 10mm wider per side (20mm total).
(https://youtu.be/RuoZmdboduo at around 5:10)

Whereas RPM states the following in the description of the wide front arm kit for rustler/stampede:
"... RPM has a new set of wide front A-arms that will push your front wheels out there almost 1-1/4 (31.8mm) of total width ..."

Based on these sources, the RPM kit should be noticeably wider. But this conflicts with Fiero Man's real world experience.

All this is not making things easier.
"Experienced user"
MaX-D - 11.23.16, 3:15 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I use the Pro-Trac arms on my Slash and I drive it like I stole it. I haven't had one problem or breakage and I'm using Beadlocks with Trenchers. There's a little more weight there than usual.
Maximum Destruction
VIKINGS fan
GO BIG or GO HOME!!!
"Experienced user"
jbarelds - 11.27.16, 1:42 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I decided to order the ProTrac kit anyway, and see for myself if they hold up. If I do experience more breakages than with the stock arms, I can always switch to the RPM wide arms later.