Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Associated98 - 2.26.17, 10:06 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I recently found a brand new NIB LRP Z.12R team truck engine. My hobby shop for what ever reason just never sold it so I bought it yesterday. My question is should I run this motor or save it? Is it worth saving? Its starting to get hard to find parts for this motor too. The price sticker was time stamped from 2006! Any thoughts?
"Experienced User"
guys2nv - 2.26.17, 11:16 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
I say run it. I wouldn't keep it stored in nib condition in hopes of selling it later for a profit. RC nitro engines just don't hold their value.
| Cen Colossus GST-E |
| Stampede 4x4 | Stampede |
| Shelfers - Lunchbox & Blackfoot |
| Futaba 4PLS |
"Experienced user"
Associated98 - 2.27.17, 12:25 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Im still collecting parts to get this motor ready to go, all i need now is a clutch and bump box. If it does get run its going into my GT2 which currently was set up with a stock AE. 15 with pull start. Snapped a rod in the stock motor and cant get a new one since theyve been discontinued.
"Experienced user"
Doomiedee - 3.01.17, 9:25 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
i say run it as well. and gt2 parts can still be found i just sold a gt2 that i bought last year with 5 extra engines and the all ran
"Vacationing user"
agusorgen - 3.02.17, 3:32 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I'd say run it too, i mean maybe it is a good idea to take some profit but i think you will enjoy more if you run it.
"Experienced user"
Associated98 - 3.04.17, 12:29 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Well the most power iv had nitro wise was a tmaxx 2.5. In my first gt2 i had the sc10gt's .18x engine installed and it pulled wheelies all day. This lrp motor's rated power out put more than doubles the .18 and is about .4 hp stronger then my tmaxx was. Putting all that power in my 2wd gt2 gives me goosbumps. I really want to run it, but ill probably never find another new engine that even compares power wise due to 10th scale nitro being extinct. New right now my choices for engines are the hpi nitro star motor from the firestorm, and the traxxas pro .15. Thats why im lurious about running it incase i F it up some how.
"Experienced user"
Associated98 - 3.14.17, 4:00 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
So i have everything now except a clutch which im running into problems with. I bought the associated factory team flywheel, the one that comes with the GT2 factory team kit. I guess it was made for the stock AE. 15x which is odd considering at the time LRP was still partnered with associated, and the LRP Z.12R was the engine that associated pushed people to buy for the factory team gt2. The collet from the .15 is to big for the lrp motor so i bought one that fits the crank. Problem with this collet is now the bevel in the flywheel is too large so it never grabs the collet. I did get the crank cut and installed the AE clutch nut adapter for threaded cranks. Anyone know of an aftermarket flywheel that works with this motor?
"Experienced user"
Associated98 - 3.19.17, 6:29 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Really? No body has ever ran an lrp z.12r, one of the most popular engines of its time? All the other Z.12Rs besides mine are still sitting in their boxes brand new? Im just looking for a flywheel.