Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 1.08.10, 10:46 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Original post:

A few things to get out of the way first:
  1. No, I was not "planning this all along." I had actually zero intention of doing this until about 2 hours ago when I said to myself, "Ah, what the heck."
  2. I do not consider this a "project" in any way, shape, or form. Anything this simple, and that can be done in 2 hours does not count as a project. I will not be putting up a project page.
  3. I won't be detaching either bumper, because they capture the hinge pins. To remove the bumper you'd have to cut it off, and I want to keep my bumpers for when I convert back to truck form in a couple days.
  4. A \Backslash 4x4 conversion will not make good competition for a 1/8th scale buggy. I repeat. It will not.
As for the details:
  1. The body is an Ofna Ravager / 9.5 shell that's been beat to the ends of the earth and I won't be doing a better body because, as I mentioned, it's only going to stay in this form for a couple days.
  2. No idea what kind of wheels or tires they are -- they're generic, and not Pro-Line.
  3. The wing is from the Ravager too.
  4. Wing mount is from a Hot Bodies D8. It's just a plain 90 degree wing mount with no modifications whatsoever. It's attached to two G10 plates I cut & drilled to sandwich the shock tower. It's as firm & secure as a mount can get and has no room to move.
I might have a chance to take some video, but I can't guarantee it -- lots to do & time is in short supply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New info 1/12/2010:

I've been asked about body fitment a couple of times by PM, so I thought I'd post my latest reply for everyone's benefit:

I actually have tried my 777 Crowd Pleazer body and my stock Mugen MBX5 shells (not Pro-Line) that I picked out for the original 2WD and both should work very well. They do need to be cut slightly differently, and mounted probably 1/4" to 1/2" farther rearward, but I don't see any other issues.

Another one that looks like it should work is the stock Associated RC8 body. The only issues with that one is that the rear pinches in a bit early, so you may need to cut out just a bit extra to clear the rearmost slants of the chassis.

Wing Mount Photos:

The very hastily-assembled wing mount...Like I said, it's secure as it can get. You can swing the truck around by the wing all day. The upper bolts are actually captured in nooks in the tower. I had to slightly trim back the thicker parts where the stock body mount unit bolts in. Nothing that would affect strength at all, though.

Hope this is useful.

---------------------------------------------------------

Update 12/11/2010:

Merged with traxxasslash26's newer \Backslash 4x4 thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100108-backslash-4x4-006.jpg
Views:	10065
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	17483  
(Last edited by theJANG : 12.11.10 at 10:51 pm)
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by many other fellow members. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"R2E Leader!"
satan6907 - 1.08.10, 10:54 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
the concept is good but its just to long. and that fact that you would have to cut the bumpers off, totally not worth it if you ask me.

And that body looks to be in decent condition, atleast compared to some of the ones i have used.
Slash 2wd VXL ( rebulding for racing)
FT B4
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 1.08.10, 10:59 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Exact same wheelbase as a proper 1/8th scale buggy. The body is just mounted back a bit because there was no material to bite on for the rear mount. I guess I could have extended the rear of the body with a patch instead. Hmm.

Random related bonus: Very first picture of the \Backslash, taken days after its conception in early July '08.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	080706 002.jpg
Views:	3887
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	17484  
(Last edited by theJANG : 1.08.10 at 11:02 pm)
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by many other fellow members. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Experienced user"
Radiojh - 1.09.10, 6:31 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
LOL, that's awesome. I love how soon you ripped into it.
\BACKSLASH, \BACKBAJR, 2WD SLASH
Axial AX-10
Blade SR, Blade CX3, Blade MCX2, Hobbyzone Champ, ParkZone micro P-51
"Experienced user"
hojomojo96 - 1.09.10, 7:04 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
pretty cool
I know you said you might not be able to take footage, but please do!
I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say that I'd love to see some running footage.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver!!!
You learn something new every day and by the time you stop, you're dead.
"Circa 2008; NorOR"
Cubic2.4 - 1.09.10, 10:10 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Yeah, wow. It is very cool!

Is this temporary or do you plan to convert it back to to SC? Either way the Slash 4x4 seems like a very capable car no matter the shell.
(Last edited by Cubic2.4 : 1.10.10 at 5:48 pm)
www.torquerctrailers.com
"Trust, but verify"
- Ronald Reagan
"Experienced user"
jonmorehouse - 1.09.10, 11:02 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
hojomojo96 said
pretty cool
I know you said you might not be able to take footage, but please do!
I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say that I'd love to see some running footage.
ditto. looks great! what's next?
"Experienced user"
ttocs388 - 1.09.10, 2:56 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
VIDS OR BAN!

wait........
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 1.09.10, 3:31 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Sorry guys, I really didn't like it like this at all and it didn't serve any interest of mine, so I already went ahead & converted it to something a little more useful. Got some decent footage of that going through some pretty nasty stuff today
"Don't you mean Wabaki?"
Benzo - 1.09.10, 3:35 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
ooh something original, even better!!