Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Kawasaki13 - 4.17.12, 4:24 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Everyone I've talked to wuthme included have problems with traxxas brushless motors they do fine on 2s but 3s fries them regardless of gearing so is it the motor or the traxxas esc or what is it that makes them overheat?
"Dirtbag rc'er"
Fiero_Man_121 - 4.17.12, 4:33 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
its the fact that the motor is working so hard to move that 4x4 car.
Florida Oval Racer | Vintage traxxas collector | Mad Scientist
"Do you even race?"
indy34096 - 4.17.12, 4:47 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Traxxas gears their cars to the sky so they can acheive the high rtr top speed, but at the cost of loading the motor which in turn overheats it in the right situation.
TLR 22 MM, B4.1 Factory Team, RC10 Classic, Proboat Impulse 26
Larry's Performance R/C's | RC Clubhouse
"These Pretzels !"
crusey_aus - 4.17.12, 5:16 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Motor is too small for the car if pushed hard

Cheers

Slash Plati
num
Xerun 150, Tenshock SC401 (3500kv)

Gensace 5000mah 40c

"Experienced user"
Syldain - 4.17.12, 5:28 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I have both the 2wd and 4wd vxl slash. After putting an aluminum tranny case on the 2wd I find the motor alot cooler. Vxl in the 4wd just didn't cut it for me. It gets hot way too fast. Working on upgrading to a 550 sized motor to give it more power and less heat problems. I've never ran 3s. The only time I think I would is if I wanted to try a speedrun for kicks but never for prolonged bashing.
"Experienced user"
RCWiily - 4.17.12, 11:10 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I guess I've had good luck... I run almost exclusively 3S on my Slash 4x4 vxl nearly everyday for about 2 years with the only "electrical" issue being the button on the ESC sticking. 90% of the time I run 13/54 gearing and I run on everything from sand to street..I run street tires, sand paddles, monster truck tires, and everything in between.

That being said I have a few 1/8 scale motors laying around and I'm thinking about popping one in. (my kids are begging me)

BTW I usually only run a single 5000mah pack a day, occasionally 2 but 1 is the norm, maybe I don't run long enough to overheat?

Keep your truck clean it keeps things running smoothly, which can ease the motor's job.
"These Pretzels !"
crusey_aus - 4.17.12, 11:45 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
13/54 gearing is only 45 mph on 3s, a far cry from the 60 mph that Traxxas claim is possible

Cheers

Slash Plati
num
Xerun 150, Tenshock SC401 (3500kv)

Gensace 5000mah 40c

"Experienced user"
RCWiily - 4.18.12, 12:37 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
crusey_aus said
13/54 gearing is only 45 mph on 3s, a far cry from the 60 mph that Traxxas claim is possible

Cheers
Yes but for 90% of the driving I do 45 mph is plenty of speed and provides the "torque" not sure if torque is the proper term I like for running large tires and through bushes and shrubs etc,,.and it is relatively waterproof..I run it on the beach right into the surf a few times a week.

I've never geared higher than 19/54 and while I didn't gps it, it didn't seem anywhere near 60 mph.. a little more top end sure...but it felt much less torquey and had less usable power.
"Experienced user"
GoingPlatinum - 4.18.12, 1:13 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Me and 3 of my buddies all bought Ultimate Slash 4x4's 7 month's ago to race at a local track we found out about. And another one of our buddies bought the VXL Stampede a week later. We all play around together weekly. None of us experience any motor heat issues or have ever thermalled or anything. I never have and never will run a 3s but all the rest of them do all the time. The Stampede buddy only own 3s and has 4 of them. During the week we go to a local BMX bike track in Brookville Ohio and run 3,4 and sometimes 5 packs through. And then we race on Saturdays (except the Stampede). All the Slash's have been running the full Slayden setup with 13/54 gearing since day one. I recently went LCG though. All are running ESC fans since day one. I opted for a motor heat sink with Velenion fan too. But I am the only one with anything on the motor. I only here horror stories about the Velineon systems on the net. I here the opposite in person. I think it due to the fact that there are people out there with problems because that is reality with anything. But they are the only ones that post about them. The people who love the hell out of them never start a thread about it. My Velineon pulls a couple Mamba system at the track all the time. My 2 cents.
"New user"
landwert23 - 3.18.15, 9:14 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Hi guys i have a traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl brushless and i am having a very annoying overheating problem and hope yall could help. i have a heatsink and two integy cooling fans on the motor i have a 13t pinion gear and 54t spur gear. i have ceramic bearings and a center diff but the stock motor and stock esc. i basically have all upgrades you could think of on the truck. i have a 2 cell 6500 mah 75c battery and i can only run my truck on the road for about 2 minutes then it is to hot to touch the motor. please help i have no idea what is going on with it. i checked the bearings on the inside of the motor and replaced them to.