Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"I have the BEST words!"
lsear2905 - 12.28.14, 9:18 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
So I completed this build with a few spare parts and not a cent spent: then I had to buy the Traxxas Fender Flair set!

So I converted my on-road Slash:

I rebuilt some XX-long shocks, locked the rear-diff with blu-tack, took the lights that weren't being used from a Stampede, Stampede 4x4 T-Bone shock guards (front), Proline Badlands I had on a shelf, 50,000 weight oil in the front diff and the Summit body I had spare, with custom built body mounts.

It's a fun trail truck but I seriously need to work out a better motor as the VXL system 'cogs' painfully at low speeds.

The final product:

One thing I like about this truck, it actually has 2 LED kits in it, b/c it was way too long for one kit to stretch from end to end: this means that I have great underbody lighting which solves the problem BigSquid RC complained about here.

Another thing: 1 decent 5800mah 2S LiPo went for well over an hour without running flat... I ran out of light before I ran out of battery.
from Melbourne, Australia (where Winter is Summer, and we use the metric system)

Bored? Check out and follow my Instagram feed @mycousinscrogg
Really bored? lsear2905's Garage in the General RC section
Want even more? Check out my flickr page at flickr.com/lsear
"I have the BEST words!"
lsear2905 - 12.28.14, 9:19 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
...and here's some video of it in action:

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

from Melbourne, Australia (where Winter is Summer, and we use the metric system)

"Experienced user"
LtZerge - 12.29.14, 3:04 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
That's some interesting lounge piano music, makes it seem like quite the poetic journey over that pile of dirt. Anyway, looks pretty good. Always liked the summit truck body, I really do need to get one one of these days.
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 12.29.14, 10:08 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Like it. Thanks lsear2905. Great video and the piano music sure beats the death metal some videos have.
RC addict and loving it
somewhere near Grass Valley, CA --- let's bash
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 12.29.14, 10:56 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
What kind of diff oil did you use, or are the diffs stock? A cheap motor option would be the Axial 27t, as far as I know you could toss it on the VXL esc just fine. It should give you a ton more low end and be decently fast on 3s as well.
Youtube: MegaSneetch - RC videos whenever I can make them!
"I have the BEST words!"
lsear2905 - 12.29.14, 12:45 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
DrJVogel said
Like it. Thanks lsear2905. Great video and the piano music sure beats the death metal some videos have.
Thanks DrJ - I even started a thread a while back asking why all the videos on here seemed to have death metal or dubstep?

@Sneetches - I locked the rear-diff with blu-tack and put 50,000 weight oil in the front diff.

The only thing that concerns me about running the 27T brushed motors is how well they'll cope with the weight of a Slash 4x4... any thoughts?

"Experienced user"
piano - 12.29.14, 1:34 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I was thinking about to buy the Summit body for my Slash too .. SCT body or any other truck body are so expensive!

What body poles to use?
Cats, dog, bulldog, supershot, TurboMid, Plazma, SP12, RC12, TRX.. Snake...
"I have the BEST words!"
lsear2905 - 12.29.14, 2:26 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
piano said
I was thinking about to buy the Summit body for my Slash too .. SCT body or any other truck body are so expensive!

What body poles to use?
Well a Summit body is just as expensive as a SCT one, and just remember they don't come with the fender flair kit, or the roll cage, you have to buy those separately.

I built custom body mounts using some Tamiya M chassis braces(!) to raise the height of the Slash body mounts, then I used battery retainer parts to click the body on.

"Experienced user"
TheBlueKnight - 12.29.14, 2:46 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
How is that 500k diff oil in the front working for you? Is it still diffing out a bit where you might want to even go thicker?
"I have the BEST words!"
lsear2905 - 12.29.14, 3:06 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
TheBlueKnight said
How is that 500k diff oil in the front working for you? Is it still diffing out a bit where you might want to even go thicker?
I put 50k in, not 500k, but yes, it diffs out.

I still want to be able to steer around obstacles, and this isn't really for crawling (the Summit has that covered) although with the locked rear diff it does pretty well - that's why I uploaded the video to show what it can do.

Also, I've picked up a set of 4 Proline Powerstrokes for $10, so they might find their way into my 'track' Slash, freeing up a fairly nice set of shocks for this one.