Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Jburke187 - 5.27.15, 9:59 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I haven't used my slash in about a year or so (been more into scale rc lately), I decided to take my 2200kv mamba monster system and stick in the slash since the onyx 4 pole motor in there crapped out, its got metal shavings, and chunks of magnets all over in it. Since I sold my erevo as a roller a while back and these are the electronics out of it so why not put them to use. As the slash sits right now it has tekno cvds, tekno center drive shaft, rpm a arms, bumpers, shock towers, strc auminum motor mount, Traxxas big bore shocks with blue losi springs, proline splitsix beadlocks, proline badlands, duratrax onyx 4550kv 4pole brushless combo, and a turnigy 1258tg servo. I plan on getting the tekno 17mm wheel adapters, and I will have to get some more 1/8 buggy wheels and tires (suggestions?). I'm not really going for speed runs, just an overpowered slash, any gearing suggestions or anything would be appreciated.

I haven't even ran it since I did this body....

(Last edited by Jburke187 : 5.27.15 at 10:08 pm)
- Burke
U.S. Army Vet OEF, OIF
Rakkasan 1/187 Infantry Regiment
"Ne Desit Virtus"
"Experienced user"
Jburke187 - 5.28.15, 5:57 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Got the motor and esc installed now all that's left to do is solder up a couple deans connectors and I'm done. With that part anyway. I am using bullets so I can either use a single 4s pack or swap the leads to run dual 3s packs. Here are the pictures so far.

Old Onyx motor and Castle motor size comparison....

Here it is all nestled in....
(Last edited by Jburke187 : 5.28.15 at 6:10 pm)
- Burke
U.S. Army Vet OEF, OIF
"Ne Desit Virtus"
"Experienced user"
Jburke187 - 5.29.15, 6:21 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
What would be a good start for gearing? Seems like every gearing setup I find is for speed runs and I'm not building it for the street.
- Burke
U.S. Army Vet OEF, OIF
"Ne Desit Virtus"
"Experienced user"
Jburke187 - 5.30.15, 11:16 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I ordered my new pinion and the revo spec slipper pads. I went with a 17t so hopefully it will be ok, I will most likely be running it on 4s.
- Burke
U.S. Army Vet OEF, OIF
"Ne Desit Virtus"
"Semi-Vacationing User"
Velineon - 5.31.15, 9:17 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
This build is every traxxas fanboy's dream.

"omg traxass says momba monstar gets you to 80mph"

On a more serious note:
I would start with the e revos gear ratio
divide pinion by spur

Then multiply by 54. Round to the nearest whole number
then add 1 because slash 4x4 has comparatively less weight and smaller wheels.

Stock gearing 18/65

18/65=14.95 15
15+1=16T

However I would just try 17/54 and only go down to 16 if it exceeds 160.
(Last edited by Velineon : 5.31.15 at 9:25 pm)
RCs Owned: Traxxas Slash 4x4 - Muscle Slash, Axial Exo-Terra Buggy, Tamiya TT-02 - 73 Carrera RS/85 AE86 Trueno Coupe
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is."
people who use pnvv quotes in their sig are dorky sheeple
"Experienced user"
JohnnyHildo - 5.31.15, 9:20 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Jburke187 said
I ordered my new pinion and the revo spec slipper pads. I went with a 17t so hopefully it will be ok, I will most likely be running it on 4s.
i run my 2400kv on 3s with an 18 tooth pinion and it barely gets over 120 deg F normally. i would think with that much motor you could run quite a bit taller gearing.
"Experienced user"
Jburke187 - 6.01.15, 5:18 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for the gearing info.

I finished up soldering a few dean connectors, one on the esc and then I made a series connector, I decided to get rid of the bullet connectors that are in the picture. Had everything done and my dumb self didn't even think about the fact of my servo being digital, it's a turnigy 1258tg, glitches like crazy. So next I will see if I have a glitch buster laying around and if that doesn't fix it then I will have to add a bec, oh boy more soldering (sarcastic voice).
The servo ran fine with the onyx esc, rebranded HW. Oh well.
- Burke
U.S. Army Vet OEF, OIF
"Ne Desit Virtus"
"Experienced user"
Jburke187 - 6.06.15, 7:29 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Still haven't gotten a bec, so no runs on yet I am off today so hopefully I can find the time to run over to the hobby shop.
(Last edited by Jburke187 : 6.06.15 at 7:33 am)
- Burke
U.S. Army Vet OEF, OIF
"Ne Desit Virtus"
"Experienced user"
Jburke187 - 10.28.15, 8:48 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Recently I had knee surgery so I am cooped up in the house and decided to get my slash back out again. I think this time I am going to throw some mt wheels and tires on there and maybe change the body again. Never done an mt conversion with the slash so I figured I might as do one now, especially since I got rid of everything except for the slash and an scx10.

I will be running the same electronics, mamba monster and a castle 2200kv out of my old erevo. I'll probably go with duratrax bandito 2.8s, not sure what shock setup I'll go with. I was thinking the jconcepts bajr or the proline beetle body.

Sorry to bring back my old thread but I figured it is kind of the evolution of my slash.
- Burke
U.S. Army Vet OEF, OIF
"Ne Desit Virtus"
"Bustin five knots"
Matts175 - 10.28.15, 9:05 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
For shocks... the GTRs are pretty sweet. Great performance and leak free.
Slash 4x4 LCG. RC GearShop 2150kv, WP-SC8 ESC, SMC 3s, Ebay 4s, XO-1 diffs, MIP X Dutys, Hot Racing, RPM Parts, Turnigy 1258TG servo

Syma X5SC Quadcopter