Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 5.12.16, 10:29 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I started thinking, just this past evening, about getting a Slash 2WD pre-roller, which I would power with a brushless outrunner (airplane motor), and mostly for goofing around. I bought the outrunner last year, for crawling purposes, but since it was sensorless, it wasn't smooth enough on start-ups. I tried it on both an SCX10 and a Wraith, and it just didn't suit the application. Soooo...I considered that the best land rc application for it, was in a 2wd basher, and what other platform would give me the ability to run a large pinion, other than a 2WD Slash/Rustler/Stampede?
The motor is low KV (1250) which will require tall gearing and high voltage, so I would possibly end up running a 4S, as that is the max voltage the motor will handle. I'm envisioning a sort of "Jet Slash", because outrunners do produce a turbine-like sound, and if I could get at least 35-45mph out of it, I'd be pretty happy.
(Last edited by duhjun : 9.13.16 at 3:36 pm)
A.K.A. rcdabbler on other social media platforms, and johnnyluv on rccrawler forums.
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 5.13.16, 6:53 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
some pretty good ideas to consider here:

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 5.13.16, 10:36 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
some pretty good ideas to consider here:
That cracked me up!!! I'd never seen that video before. "...an important message from a random YouTube troll!" haha!...

On a serious note, that is one uber cool project, but it goes way over my hobby workmanship. On the upside, it did queue my remembrance of the 1/8 scale, on-road wheels I recently bought, for my recently acquired Ofna LX2e, but failed to achieve the purpose I was aiming for, and no longer had need of. I could simply get some 17mm hub adapters and have a set of wheels all ready to go! This is what's cool about the hobby, finding uses for things you previously thought were a waste of time & money.
(Last edited by duhjun : 5.13.16 at 10:36 am) Reason: typo
A.K.A. rcdabbler on other social media platforms, and johnnyluv on rccrawler forums.
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 5.13.16, 11:10 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
yeah that's by far my all time favorite project that JANG ever worked on to date!

Hope he resumes more projects like this again someday!
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 5.13.16, 11:46 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
yeah that's by far my all time favorite project that JANG ever worked on to date!

Hope he resumes more projects like this again someday!
Yeah...Maybe, in the future, some work/life opportunity will provoke him to move to a less populated/policed area, where he'll be inspired to get back into it. From the descriptions on his videos, he simply has no legal place to make it worth messing with RC's, and that's a total drag.

Well, I'm not sure whether I'd want to go with an HCG or LCG chassis. My current 4x4 Slash/Rally is LCG, and it's great, but it's mostly restricted to pavement. I don't know if I'd want to also keep this on the pavement or open it up to some off-road. I've ready plenty on the pro's & con's of each one. Seems like, unless I intend to spend more time off-road and doing jumps, the LCG would be best.
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 5.13.16, 11:55 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
the more I think about it, even the HCG has a low point under the main chassis that makes the ground clearance a wash regardless, I can't think of any reason why the HCG would ever be desired unless folks are going to race in a dedicated Spec Slash race class:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho....php?p=2311784
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 5.13.16, 2:18 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Ahhh, right on! That definitely helps, because the only other positive for the HCG was the price point, since the pre-rollers are about $50 cheaper than the LCG pre-rollers.
I'm certain, now, that if I go with the Slash 2WD platform, it'll start with an LCG pre-roller. I have a couple of spare SC Rally bodies, too, which will look great with the 1/8 on-road buggy wheels I'd be using. In that case, it'll essentially become a RWD Rally, and from what I've read, in the 1:1 rally world, a RWD drivetrain is often preferred. Sweet!!
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 5.19.16, 1:50 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Pulled the trigger on a Slash 2WD VXL LCG pre-roller chassis. I was going to wait a little while longer, but of the two items I was watching, on eBay, one of them took a 12% price hike, and there were only four remaining from the lower priced seller. Haste was called for!

Now, for the remaining parts lists:
  • Polycarbonate paint
  • STRC Caster blocks
  • 17 mm hub adapters
  • Kimbrough servo saver
  • Big 48p pinion w/5mm bore
  • LED lights

That should be it, for now. It'll likely still be a couple of months before I get around to building this thing, but I'll try and update this thread as I go along.
"Experienced user"
biscuiteater - 5.19.16, 3:28 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Haven't seen that video before, but I am just wondering how fast that thing could get going on a large straight.
15 Years of age and an avid RC enthusiast

It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 5.24.16, 9:03 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Received my Slash 2WD VXL LCG pre-roller chassis, yesterday afternoon! This thing is a pleasant piece of work, and feels good in the hands. They really nailed it with that charcoal grey chassis w/black gearbox. I almost want to make it a shelf queen, but, like a new pair of shoes, you just enjoy that newness as long as you can, until they're worn in. Still, I'd like to see if there are some skids that would protect the underside.

This build is on the summer agenda, and depending on how my interests are sparked, it will likely be mid-late summer. I've got a few other trucks that have been waiting in line for some time. I just wanted to jump on the chassis while it was available for the current price, since I saw the price go up on the other one I was watching.
(Last edited by duhjun : 5.24.16 at 10:24 am) Reason: grammar