Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
kartracer25 - 8.28.16, 6:01 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hello everybody, this is my first post. I have been doing off road RC cars for 25 years. I am new to 4x4's. Just bought a Traxxas platinum slash 4x4, comes with a slipper clutch installed and a center diff as an option to install. What are the benefits of each?
"Suka Blyat"
alexulan - 8.30.16, 2:08 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
for me it seemed better handling / faster in the corners with the center diff.

I mostly bash on loose dirt. no racing.

I did melt the center diff so now i'm back using the slipper clutch.
I was also running very thick like 500K oil in the center diff.
There is an aluminum housing that you could buy so the piece won't melt.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-T...UAAOSwp5JWV-bs
(Last edited by alexulan : 8.30.16 at 4:42 pm)
"Experienced user"
kartracer25 - 8.30.16, 7:47 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply alexulan, I have run both the slipper clutch and center diff, have not noticed any difference. What's weird is you melted your center diff, I melted the spur gear center on my slipper clutch, I had the clutch set too loose, too much slip equals too much heat. No racing for me either, I run on a track I built in my backyard, measures 60ft X 24ft.
"Experienced user"
pro mod steve - 8.31.16, 7:35 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Just a basher here. I have had my slash 4X4 for about 4 years and used the slipper only. Get the revo upgrade with aluminum pads and keep the nut 1/4 turn out from full tight and let it eat.
Just a Basher
"Experienced user"
kartracer25 - 9.01.16, 8:07 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
So basically run the clutch locked up, no slippage. That seems a little harsh on the drivetrain, especially on my small track, where I'm slamming on the brakes and then back on the throttle several times a lap.
"Experienced user"
pro mod steve - 9.02.16, 2:23 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Not locked up but tight. I have been running my slipper this way for years on 3S bashing with no issues. It will still slip a little.
Just a Basher
"Experienced user"
kartracer25 - 9.02.16, 9:00 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I put my slipper clutch back in, I do have the revo upgrade, I tighten the nut tight, back off 3/4 turn. Seems to work fine with little or no slippage, running 2s.
It was a pain to get all the melted plastic off the hub, wire wheel on the grinder and utility knife did the trick.
"Experienced User"
guys2nv - 9.03.16, 12:12 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
kartracer25 said
I put my slipper clutch back in, I do have the revo upgrade, I tighten the nut tight, back off 3/4 turn. Seems to work fine with little or no slippage, running 2s.
It was a pain to get all the melted plastic off the hub, wire wheel on the grinder and utility knife did the trick.
Are you still running all stock plastic motor mount and hub adapter?

If so then some Kingheadz upgrades are in your future, the plastic motor mount, slipper adapter get too soft and cause issues when heat builds up, plus the bearing is too small.

Motor mount: http://www.kingheads.com/product_inf...roducts_id=950

Adapter: http://www.kingheads.com/product_inf...roducts_id=919
| Cen Colossus GST-E |
| Stampede 4x4 | Stampede |
| Shelfers - Lunchbox & Blackfoot |
| Futaba 4PLS |
"Experienced user"
kartracer25 - 9.03.16, 8:34 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
After installing the slipper clutch with minimal slippage, I found my truck was more or less out of control, could not get around my track without spinning out, going off track or losing it coming out of corners. I put the center diff back in, the truck became much more manageable. So I think I found the answer to my question, for me, the center diff works best.
Thanks everyone!
"Experienced user"
LilleCarl - 12.01.16, 11:31 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I've been running with the center diff, changed to 1000k diff fluid though, to make it diff less and give more action to the rear wheels.

I've been running the diff on 3s for years, broken a few, but it seems to work rather well overall.

Now recently I've been beginning to drive this car on 6s, just 4 lolz... And it seems like the diff handles it too as long as I'm not too trigger happy.

The benefits of having the middle diff are:
1. You don't break the driveshafts like they're made of pvc plastic

The benefits of having slipper clutch:
1. Air control, backflips etc...!