Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Regular user"
Superducky - 10.21.16, 11:49 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hey all,
Ive had some bad luck in the past few months with overheating issues and whatnot. Im not new to rc at all just a bad series of luck combined with faulty pr0ducts. I currently have a Slash 2wd with the integy metal kit and it weighs 6 lbs. I had a hobbywong 60a ezrun with a 5600kv 9t brushless motor. The motor after 6 months overheated time after time and could not figure out why so i sold the pair. Then i bought a hobbypower 60a combo and it works great on 2s but 3s the esc goes into thermal shutdown and the motor gets temps of 160-190.

Of course this is to be expected since 3s is A LOT of power, but I want to be able to run my 3s battery with a better combo. I have a lot of gearing options but currently like 91/24 the most. I was looking at the Hobbywing WP SC8 120a esc and a motor. Not sure what to get into. At the end of the day I want good, reliable power but don't want overkill.

Ive looked at the Castle SV3 SCT combo but its only good up to 2s and the mamba max pro seems like overkill for a 2wd. I just want to be able to bash in tall grass and asphalt without overheating. Not asking for 60mph runs.
"Experienced user"
patmanz28 - 10.31.16, 2:35 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
you have way too much gear. my car weighs less than yours I use a 5600 kv motor and I run a 12/90 when I go 3 s. you are geared for like a 3800 kv motor. gear down way down.
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 11.02.16, 2:57 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
The Hobbywing WP-SC8 120a is a solid ESC, and capable of 2s-4s, but if you want to run your 3S more often, and bash both asphalt and tall grass, you'd probably be better off with a lower KV motor, like 3300KV or lower, and make sure it's 4-pole...just my $.02
A.K.A. rcdabbler on other social media platforms, and johnnyluv on rccrawler forums.
"Experienced user"
BobT - 11.02.16, 3:56 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
When you add that much weight (all aluminum) you need to gear down. When you add voltage (3s from 2s) you need to gear down.

You should not be gearing more than 14 to 16 pinion with a 91 spur on 2s.
Bob T
Support your local hobby shop.
THE USER'S MANUAL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR VEHICLE, DONT'T LOOSE IT!
"Experienced user"
thegrafxguy - 11.02.16, 4:18 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Ok, first of all, luck has nothing to do with it, let's get that straight right away. You don't gear a truck because you like it, you gear for heat, the straight away on a track you run at, etc. You're running way too much motor for the size of your truck, period.

Now that that's out of the way, you're also asking for a lot. you want to be able to run on asphalt and in tall grass. These two environments require different gearing. You want to be able to run 3s and 2s. These 2 voltages require different gearing. 5600kv is a ton of motor for 3s, and you need to gear appropriately, end of story.

The Hobbywing sc8 is one of the best esc's on the market. You just need to find realistic gearing and motor to go with it. These things will be much easier to find with a reliable temp gun first.
RC8.2e Factory Team - RC Gear Shop 2150kv, HW XERun SCT Pro, Savox 1260 Servo

Sakura D4 AWD - Tacon 3930kv, HW EZRun 60a, Blue Bird Servo

Spektrum DX4S
"Experienced user"
rex6638 - 11.02.16, 5:10 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
My slash is much lighter than yours and I am using the WP-SC8 with a 4000kv Hobbywing motor geared 56/14. It is a beast on 3s! I only need to watch my temps when I am running in long grass or when running sand paddles. However with all your aluminum you are close to a pound heavier than me so I would think somewhere in the neighborhood of 3400kv should be safe for you. With the proper gearing of course.
"Experienced user"
thegrafxguy - 11.02.16, 5:13 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
56/14 sounds like the 4x4, yeah? he's a pound heavier than you and only 2wd.

Spektrum DX4S
"Experienced user"
rex6638 - 11.03.16, 3:24 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
thegrafxguy said
56/14 sounds like the 4x4, yeah? he's a pound heavier than you and only 2wd.
Mine is 2wd, I switched over to 32p gearing.
Also for comparison I am geared for about 59 mph and you for 87. Your poor motor doesn't stand a chance.
(Last edited by rex6638 : 11.03.16 at 3:29 am)
"Experienced user"
thegrafxguy - 11.03.16, 6:42 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. Geared for 87 on 10th scale electronics in a 6 pound truck is just asking for meltdowns, especially in tall grass.

Spektrum DX4S
"brushed motors are fast too"
thebasher255 - 11.03.16, 9:32 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
In all honesty, I would go with a 1/8 motor if you want to run a truck that heavy on 3s. Higher voltage and lower kv will be more efficient, the longer rotors on 1/8 motors will give you more torque, and the motor being bigger overall will be less likely to overheat. I actually think that a lot of people run undersized motors in their vehicles, and I don't tend to run much faster than 30 mph or so. It's just easier on everything to have some overhead power versus not enough. Maybe check out some of the stuff from tacon, I've had good luck with them. Finally, I don't know much about the sc8, so I can't really say much there, but people seem to have good luck with them from what I've seen.
(Last edited by thebasher255 : 11.03.16 at 9:34 pm)
Smell something burning? Sorry, I was thinking.