Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
crazymike - 12.12.16, 1:58 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Morning all, just been doing some man maths and think I'm going to press the button on a Platinum from Tower. Even with delivery, VAT & customs etc to the UK, but using a 25% coupon, it still comes in about 90/$115 cheaper than getting it over here.

Now, what I'd like to learn from you Slash 4x4 guys, is what if anything I'd need to change on the truck based on the following criteria:

This will NOT be a speed run truck, will be used for bashing only, mainly on gravel and sandy/gritty surfaced BMX track for jumping etc.

But... I want to have a combo where I can chuck in a 2S to let my kids have a play, then chuck in a 3S for a bit more fun for myself. So, I'll probably sell the VXL kit from new, and put in one of my spare ESC's - I have the choice of 80A WP Ezrun, 120A WP SC8 or a Castle MMP (probably not best option as not WP).

Third, I don't want to be throwing loads of money at this truck post purchase (i'm hoping going with the Platinum to start with, I won't have to). And by not looking to build a speed demon I can avoid the expense of upgraded drive shafts, centre shaft, MOD 1 etc etc. I'm aiming for low temps and low speed on 2S for the kids and low temps with medium speed (no more than 40mph) on 3S for me.

So, which ESC to use? Would the 80A be OK? If so I can use the 120A in a 1/8 buggy conversion I have on the go, if not I'll just have to buy another SC8...

What can? I'm guessing maximum 4065, as I don't want to be dremmeling chassis, or buying new motor mounts, or even relocating receiver if I can help it.

Would a 3660 or 3665 can in the 2400-2700 range be OK bearing in mind my 2S/3S requirement?

Any other bits that HAVE to be upgraded?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your views.
"Experienced user"
Eric1977 - 12.12.16, 4:59 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
I currently have the sc8 combined with the castle 2400 motor which is the same as the Traxxas funny car motor. I am not sure if the 80 amp Esc would be enough for this on 3s.

But the combination is pretty much perfect for what you describe. 3s fun for yourself and slower on 2s or Nimh for the kids. Is you have the sc8 in there you could do 4s but doubt that would be necessary.

For me this combo has been bulletproof compared to smoking two vxl escs on 3s before.

Eric
"Experienced user"
crazymike - 12.12.16, 6:15 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Thanks Eric, that's good to know. Unfortunately Castle motors are mega money over here, so do you reckon pretty much any 4 pole +/-2500kv, pared with the SC8 would be OK? I was thinking one of the GoolRC (or similar) motors from ebay... they do a 3660 2600kv, a 3665 2600kv and 3100kv, a 3670 2850kv, and a 3674 2250kv. There are also a couple of bigger cans - 4065 & 4068. Leopard also do a 3670 in 2400kv.

Tell me what is the motor size limit in a Slash 4x4 LCG, diameter / length wise if leaving receiver in same place, but perhaps mounting the SC8 on its plastic plinth thingy?
"Experienced user"
Dcuda69 - 12.12.16, 2:40 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
To me those 3670 and 3674 can motors are a great fit in a Slash 4x4. I've ran a couple..the 2400kv Funny Car(3670) and a Kershaw 2700kv(3674) That Kershaw is my favorite but no longer available..geared 20/54 it flies on 3s and stays cool. I use a HW WP SC8 and mounted it with the plate it came with but I moved my receiver up front....simple mod, bolts right in using existing hardware and holes.

P.S. 3s will be hard on driveshafts even with the stock 3500kv. I broke 3 stock shafts running that 2400kv. Those bigger cans will make more torque...plan accordingly. MIP x-dutys will fix that.
(Last edited by Dcuda69 : 12.12.16 at 2:46 pm)
Slash Ult. HW WP SC8/2150kv MIP King Headz
Rustler 3500kv VXL
"Experienced user"
crazymike - 12.13.16, 5:26 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
So to avoid wrecking driveshafts (is it mainly rears?) I need to stick to 2S really? If so, I do have a hobbywing ezrun 3656 can in 4700kv going spare. Would that be any good in a slash 4x4 with the right gearing? If so I could always reduce the rates in my gt3c for when my kids are driving...
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 12.13.16, 5:50 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
crazymike said
So to avoid wrecking driveshafts (is it mainly rears?) I need to stick to 2S really? If so, I do have a hobbywing ezrun 3656 can in 4700kv going spare. Would that be any good in a slash 4x4 with the right gearing? If so I could always reduce the rates in my gt3c for when my kids are driving...
Problem is there is no real way to predict. Yes driveshaft break. But usually a reason more then just " 3s will break driveshaft". We remember the breaks. Not the 50 crashes before the break.
"Experienced user"
crazymike - 12.13.16, 10:40 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
So what do you all reckon on the HW 4700kv in the slash 4x4 on 2S? Likely to get too hot, or possibly OK with lower gearing?
"I have the BEST words!"
lsear2905 - 12.13.16, 3:34 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Firstly - a 25% off coupon at TH won't work on a Sl4sh... try to go through to checkout, and you'll see Traxxas don't allow the use of discount coupons.

Secondly - a Platinum edition is a great idea, but run it on 2S first, you may find on dirt/gravel 2S gives you plenty of speed. Always remember all the power in the world is no good if the tires can't give you traction.

Thirdly - stock Sl4sh tires are utter rubbish, especially for where you're considering running. Proline Badlands are the way to go.
from Melbourne, Australia (where Winter is Summer, and we use the metric system)

Bored? Check out and follow my Instagram feed @mycousinscrogg
Really bored? lsear2905's Garage in the General RC section
Want even more? Check out my flickr page at flickr.com/lsear
"Experienced user"
Eric1977 - 12.13.16, 4:23 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I would go for the 3670 or 3674 size motors... Lower kv and volt up to 3s for yourself for speed. You won't break drive shafts all the time, and usually it's the outer half so it is a super easy fix on the field. Runs cool over grass.

Then it is an easy switch to 2s for the kids...
"inadvertent durability tester"
oldnoob69 - 12.13.16, 4:32 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
crazymike said
So what do you all reckon on the HW 4700kv in the slash 4x4 on 2S? Likely to get too hot, or possibly OK with lower gearing?
my opinion on the 4700kv motor is the slash is too heavy for it, and it will overheat. it's hard to set up a truck to run optimally on both 2s and 3s. stock drive components will handle 3s for a bit, but they will break. hd upgrades add weight which means you'll need a motor with more torque which may not run well on 2s. you will probably want to do a pinion change when switching from 2s to 3s which will add to the inconvenience. i say get the platinum, keep it as light as you can, and get a good 2s with a high c rating. when the kids want a try, put the esc in training mode. you will probably need to change out the rear axles eventually, and that stock plastic slipper bushing needs to go right away. also +1 on the badlands, they rock. gladiators are pretty good too. good luck! i hope you find what works best for you.