Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Eric1977 - 12.18.16, 6:30 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
So... When the wheels are in the air there is no slipping for my slash 4x4. When in the ground, there is the sound of gears slipping, but on close inspection in the video below the sound only comes when the rear wheels are not moving.

This had happened before and I changed out the diff gears (internal, I think they are called spider gears?). The teeth on the spur, ring, and pinion are fine, and the driveshaft set screws were tight.

On changing it it was fine on the next run, for one pack then the slipping sound came back.

Would appreciate any help. as you can see the front is fine. So shouldn't be spur or pinion or center driveshaft.

https://youtu.be/l2R-HZjm0MA

https://youtu.be/tUkWZbZI9ps

Thank you!
"Experienced user"
Eric1977 - 12.19.16, 5:19 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Bump please?

Any ideas why only when wheels on ground there would be this problem?
"User Still Using"
rustyus - 12.19.16, 5:41 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Next time you have the chance, check the bearings in and around the gearbox.
Get out there and throw some dirt!
"Experienced user"
Eric1977 - 12.19.16, 5:51 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Bearings were clear and serviced when I replaced the diff.
"User Still Using"
rustyus - 12.19.16, 5:56 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Geared diffs will wear out after awhile, and will need shimmed to get more useful life out of the teeth. Under load is where you will test your gear mesh throughout the driveline. Just holding/running the RC in the air will not be enough.
Get out there and throw some dirt!
"Experienced user"
Eric1977 - 12.19.16, 6:09 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I had replaced the internal diff gears but not the ring and pinion. They looked fine with no chipped teeth. I could try to shim by adding a washer by the pinion I think.
"Experienced User"
guys2nv - 12.19.16, 6:44 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
The teeth on the ring and pinion could still be worn out and rounded, causing them to skip when there is a load on them. If they have a lot of time on them I would just replace them, they're not expensive. The gears inside the diff rarely wear out.

I would also check your wheel hex's and wheels making sure none are rounded.

I'd look on ebay for a new takeoff XO-1 diff.
| Cen Colossus GST-E |
| Stampede 4x4 | Stampede |
| Shelfers - Lunchbox & Blackfoot |
| Futaba 4PLS |
"Experienced user"
Eric1977 - 12.19.16, 7:54 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Thanks. Would rounded wheel hexes cause that sound? The corners of my plastic hexes are a bit round but otherwise seems fine.
"Experienced User"
guys2nv - 12.19.16, 8:37 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
It could be the hex's spinning inside the wheels, only takes a few minutes to inspect them.

If the center driveline is fine like you say then I'd start at the wheels and work your way in inspecting for issues.

If your plastic hex's are even a bit rounded I would consider them worn out, same for the wheels. From my own experience when the wheels spin in the air but not on the ground it was from rounded hex's and wheels.
| Cen Colossus GST-E |
| Stampede 4x4 | Stampede |
| Shelfers - Lunchbox & Blackfoot |
| Futaba 4PLS |
"Experienced user"
thegrafxguy - 12.19.16, 10:04 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I know that the plastic gearbox housing can flex also and become warped over time. I wonder if it's just too soft from use and is no longer holding its shape? An aluminum upgrade in that case would solve it. Something to think about and check if nothing else seems to be the culprit.
RC8.2e Factory Team - RC Gear Shop 2150kv, HW XERun SCT Pro, Savox 1260 Servo

Sakura D4 AWD - Tacon 3930kv, HW EZRun 60a, Blue Bird Servo

Spektrum DX4S