Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Funafter50 - 1.03.17, 11:41 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi, New to this forum, but not forums in general. So, I've perused the FAQ section before throwing out a bunch of newbie questions. I got my first RC, a Slash 2WD, about a month ago. Having a lot of fun with it, but I really don't like the controller. With only a quarter turn in each direction for the "steering wheel", I find it very difficult to make subtle course adjustments. I assumed I would adjust to it, but I really can't seem to find a happy medium. Any suggestions? Are there different controllers that are more forgiving?
Also, what is the best way to expand the distance I can control the truck from? An antenna extension? Will a different controller resolve that? The wind chill is -4 outside, but there are plenty of places that I can park and play with the truck from inside the comfort of my vehicle, but the broadcast distance is way too short.
Just a bunch of square cornfields and wheat farms
Man, it all looks the same
Miles and miles of back roads and highways
Connecting little towns with funny names
Who'd want to live down there in the middle of nowhere?
"Custom User Title"
o0wizo0 - 1.06.17, 5:08 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
If it's the basic TQ then you probably want a better TC/RX. The worlds ya oyster there depending on budget.
Traxxas Stampede 4x4 / Traxxas Sla2h / Traxxas E-Maxx / Traxxas X-Maxx / Axial SCX10 / Axial Wraith / Axial SMT10 / Tekno MT410
"Experienced user"
thorwil - 1.06.17, 8:21 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
The controller is often called transmitter. Looks like Traxxas offers 3 versions, all in the same or similar case, which makes me suspect that the range for the wheel is always the same.

There are so many options from a few vendors, but you would have to switch to another receiver, too, as the various systems do not "talk" the same language.

I just checked my Spektrum DX3S; wheel travel is about a quarter either way, too. Perhaps other systems offer more, but that does feel about right to me, now. I recall having trouble with the very subtle movements required to keep an rc car on track. So part or even the entire solution for you might be training. A month is a rather short time in that context.

Then again, many transmitters allow steering response to be adjusted from linear to increasingly exponential, giving the option to steer less with more rotation around neutral. That might help, though I found it easier to stay in a range that feels linear. A better transmitter may fit your hand better and will react faster and more precise.

Radio range depends on both the transmitter and receiver. The antenna should be led out of the receiver box and upwards, to win distance from the ground and other electrical components. The last bit of the antenna is the important part and should not be folded back. It's not necessary to have it poke out of the body, though.
(Last edited by thorwil : 1.06.17 at 8:32 am)
"Experienced user"
Funafter50 - 1.06.17, 11:36 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I'll definitely be practicing some more to try to get better at the steering. Not today, though, since it's -15* plus wind chill outside right now. I've already broken some parts from running into things when I oversteer, so I've had to order a few parts. But, since I'm a mechanical engineer, I've already started MacGyver'ing a few things too. The main thing is that I am making spring dampeners for the bumpers. I'll post some pictures when I'm done. It won't be pretty, but very functional. Fortunately, there's a nice flat open lot over 10 acres large across the street from my condo, so I'm going to set myself up a little track in the spring that I can practice on. In the meantime, I want to see how far I can jump it, so I've built a nice long ramp. Since I don't know how far it will go, I am building a nice long pile of snow it can land in without getting damaged. I'll be able to measure multiple jumps to get a good idea of the distance that I need in order to set up a landing ramp. I'll post pics of that too when I get it set up. Again, guys thanks so much for the responses.
Thorwill, thanks for the information on the antenna. Interesting what you said about the very tip. I lost the little vinyl cap for the top of the antenna, so the tip of the antenna is bent over. I haven't had trouble with it, but I do have it stuck up out of the body like stock. I actually had thought that a longer antenna could be soldered to the receiver and then set up as a whip antenna on the truck. Can the broadcast signal from the controller be increased or an antenna added to it?
"Experienced user"
Funafter50 - 1.06.17, 11:54 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Also, on the subject of home built improvements. I upgraded the shocks with heavier oil as well as adding springs I know they have heavier springs you can buy, but this was a home brewed upgrade with what I had in my workshop. It really made a huge difference. Now I'm going to order the xxl shocks in a little while. I'm going to upgrade to aluminum pieces for the breakable items first. That's for the body/frame. What stock drivetrain parts should I be expecting to break next? The axles, transmission, servo...? Why is there no protection for the steering servo, and what is the best way to protect it?
"Experienced user"
thorwil - 1.07.17, 3:19 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
You're welcome, Funafter50. We sure like to see DIY solutions here, pretty or not

Unlike landing ramps as such, a soft landing area helps even on nose-dives, so good idea.

If you want a longer coax cable antenna, you have to solder it directly to the receiver indeed.

Spektrum's Director of Engineering on those antennas.

No idea on the sending side. Maybe from inside a car is a really bad case, where even top of line systems wouldn't help? Anyone reading who could test that?

Aluminum parts get unsightly scratched up faster, can be heavier and may bend where plastic would still flex. There are of course places where CNCed aluminum works great, like steering knuckles. I'd wait and see what breaks and upgrade as required, as that depends on driving style, environment and moon phase Even if you enjoy the upgrade process, don't do it all at once, drag it out and enjoy for longer.

Don't you have this white thing as servo-saver?

"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 1.07.17, 4:45 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Sending a vehicle long distance always sounds great. Till have you have to walk to it to flip it over. Just something to keep in mind. These things get hard to see.
Traxxas controllers have there own feel. I've got a number of controllers. All have own feel and reactions. Traxxas does feel twitchy when first using it. Especially with 2 wheel drive.
Before going $$$$ on aluminum stuff. Think about if you want a second vehicle. It's easy go overboard on 1 vehicle. Aluminum breaks also.
"Experienced user"
Funafter50 - 1.08.17, 11:25 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Good to know about not going crazy on the aluminum. Especially the comment about if I want a second vehicle or not. I've just broken several of the plastic parts already, so I was just assuming I needed to upgrade everything. I have ordered a few things, most importantly an LCG chassis. I do want to get a second vehicle, full 4WD because I live in the foothills of the Nebraska panhandle, so there are lots of fun scenic places to go play. Plus, my wife wants an RC now too. So, I figure she can play with this one when I get the other one.
As to the controller, I'm really bad about reading instructions first (everyone is, but, being an engineer, I'm worse because I think I already know it all), I did see that it has a training level. Being over a half a century old, I assumed I didn't need training wheels. But, I'm going to see about trying that. Not today, though. It was a high of 10* yesterday with nearly a foot of snow on the ground, but today, it's nearly 50* and slush everywhere, so I won't be out today and all that snow I was going to use for soft landings on the jumps will be gone.
As to the servo, I do have that big round white piece, but my concern is that the skid plate doesn't cover it, so all it would take is backing up against something to tweak it. I'll just make a little cover for it.
Last thing for the moment. I raised the rear body mount up one notch to the highest one, but since the front body mounts didn't have an adjustment, I just used one of the little nut/screw pieces that you used to have to screw your monitor cable in to, before HDMI cables, to lift that end. With doing that, using thicker oil in the front shock,struts and adding helper springs to all of the shocks, it looks really sharp and seriously lifted. Having trouble transferring pics from my new phone to my PC, but when I take the time to figure that out I'll post some pics. Out of curiosity, is there a thread just for people to show off their home-brewed repairs and upgrades? If not, that would be a great resource for everyone. I didn't see one, so I thought I would suggest it. I'll update this with some pics of the things I've been talking about when I get those loaded up.
Great forum guys. Just mature people discussing a shared interest, not a lot of trolls or BS.
"Experienced user"
thorwil - 1.08.17, 12:50 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
RPM makes a number or plastic parts that are generally considered to be more durable than Traxxas stock parts, without the drawbacks of aluminum parts. http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/ allows to filter by maker and then model.

If you have hills and rocks available, maybe a crawler would be an option (just think RC counterpart to a Jeep, if you haven't come across the term, yet)?

Traxxas really likes to have downward facing and more or less uncovered servos. I got tired of cleaning that area on the 1/16 Slash I had quickly. Wouldn't surprise me to find someone offering covers for your Slash, but it should be a nice and compact DIY job.

There are collective threads if you want to post just a few photos of a car, like this one. Otherwise its common to just open a thread per vehicle in the matching subforum. Some members started threads about all their cars in one place. It's a fine suggestion, but kind of goes against what little structure we have right now.

Always nice to see someone coming in with a good dose of enthusiasm
(Last edited by thorwil : 1.08.17 at 12:54 pm)
"Experienced user"
Funafter50 - 1.09.17, 8:37 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I appreciate the response. I had seen the thread you showed the link to. There are some great items in that thread, unfortunately, it has over 100 pages. I understand what you're saying though. I'll probably wait until I have several things to show off, then just start a thread.