Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
thegrafxguy - 2.01.17, 10:58 pm Post #21: | Reply With Quote
No, I mean if possible take the wires of the esc off and put longer wires there if needed. I use hobbywing esc's exclusively now and they pretty much all have no wires connected at all when you buy them. You have to solder your battery and motor wires yourself, so they can be the prefect length no matter what you're putting them into
RC8.2e Factory Team - RC Gear Shop 2150kv, HW XERun SCT Pro, Savox 1260 Servo

Sakura D4 AWD - Tacon 3930kv, HW EZRun 60a, Blue Bird Servo

Spektrum DX4S
"Suka Blyat"
alexulan - 2.02.17, 9:32 am Post #22: | Reply With Quote
Is the correct way to replace the whole length of 14AWG and ditch the traxxas connectors for better ones and make the Battery to ESC wires as short as possible. YES!

I guess this revolves around how much performance you are needing to squeeze out vs how much time you want to invest in it.

Anybody have real performance numbers of soldered joints vs straight run from motor to ESC? Doubt it would be significant on your lap times.
Battery to ESC makes a huge difference and can even start fires or fry ESC if too long.

Great Hobby love it. Do I want to cuss at the solder jig for a half hour?..No!.I want to drive the crap out of my rc.

Can all of us feel comfortable soldering wires onto an ESC or Lipo? No! Especially if it's a closed ESC? Sidewinder V2 or Traxxas VXL ESC. Careful not to damage the ESC.

It actually takes a lot of practice and skill to solder correctly.

I know plenty of mechanics that don't work on their own transmission or dont machine their own parts. Why? because they trust someone with more skill and knowledge in that area. or someone with proper tools.

If you have one RC do you need to spend $100 on a Soldering iron?
If you only plan to use it once every year? or is taking it to you LHS ok?
You should have no shame in getting some help from a LHS or friend with Soldering.

Definitely not the easiest part of the hobby and the fumes are not that great for your health.
(Last edited by alexulan : 2.02.17 at 9:43 am)
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 2.03.17, 7:43 am Post #23: | Reply With Quote
thegrafxguy said
No, I mean if possible take the wires of the esc off and put longer wires there if needed. I use hobbywing esc's exclusively now and they pretty much all have no wires connected at all when you buy them. You have to solder your battery and motor wires yourself, so they can be the prefect length no matter what you're putting them into
The Castle SV3 Sidewinder SCT doesn't have wire leads, it has bullet plugs that the motor wires plug into.
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
"Experienced user"
Griffin495 - 2.03.17, 10:02 am Post #24: | Reply With Quote
MBailey1977 said
Thanks for the post. I've looked at that motor several times on the site. Good to know it works so well. what size are the connectors?
Looks like a good lil motor.

I got the TrakPower 950 at Tower Hobbies during the Black Friday sale. It's night and day over a cheapo Radio Shack iron. It's $79 now, but I nabbed it for $59.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXATBK
So many RCs, so little time...
"Experienced user"
MaX-D - 2.03.17, 10:41 am Post #25: | Reply With Quote
Griffin495 said
Looks like a good lil motor.

I got the TrakPower 950 at Tower Hobbies during the Black Friday sale. It's night and day over a cheapo Radio Shack iron. It's $79 now, but I nabbed it for $59.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXATBK
I'm ordering this when I get home from work tonight! My LHS uses the same soldering iron.
Maximum Destruction
VIKINGS fan
GO BIG or GO HOME!!!