Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 2.16.17, 9:06 pm Post #21: | Reply With Quote
An integral part of the rebuild came in the heatsink. Finally found one for 40mm sized cans that actually looks like it will do something worth while. Pricey but cheaper than a nuked motor.

Have some questions. I plan on purchasing a motor mount (aluminum) what are these bushing / bearing mods I keep hearing about

What's a good slipper clutch upgrade, I've heard the Robinsons racing gen 3 thrown around and the Revo spec, what would you guys recommend?
(Last edited by riderinblack : 2.16.17 at 9:08 pm)
"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 2.19.17, 1:03 am Post #22: | Reply With Quote
Took some dremeling but it's in, man those fans push alot of air, I'm surprised

"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 2.21.17, 9:36 am Post #23: | Reply With Quote
I'm digging it so far and with Thermal paste it should outperform all of the other heatsink I've ever had by a big margin. The actual heatsink covers 50% of the can in circumference and almost 100%in length, that's a huge area. Downside is it won't just bolt in. With the lcg already being cramped and the added 40mm can, the included mounting hardware will not work and you will have to mcguiver your own mount. Not to mention the fair bit of dremeling you have to do to clear the mesh adjustment screw and the motor wires. I suspect the added mount can be made to fit by dremeling at the chassis (something I didn't want to do). Also, something I found was the size. They claim it fits motors up to 40.6mm so a 40mm or 39.5 will fit loosely with the backing plate. Zip tied without the backing plate it conforms easily to the motor no problem.

The fans are awesome and move alot of air but they come wired separately with male jst plugs each. I cut those off, wired them together and added a servo lead so I can run both from one slot in my receiver. They didn't seam to mind at all sharing 6v.

Side note: Fitment will also be affected by your gearing. I run 17/52 and have very little wiggle room.

If your not comfortable dremeling into a 30$ piece I Def would not recommend this one. As you can see it's an involved installation.
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 2.23.17, 6:31 pm Post #24: | Reply With Quote
New motor is finally here, should drop right it with the new heatsink.

This is supposed to be exactly the same as my old Hobbywing branded 2700kv 4 pole. I'm hoping it's as good if not better.

That old can has been with me since 2012! And I beat it, never oiled it, never cleaned the bearings, no maintenance what so ever, took a licken kept on ticken for 5 years straight. Going to actually take care of this one and see if it will last even longer
(Last edited by riderinblack : 2.23.17 at 7:06 pm)
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 2.26.17, 6:27 pm Post #25: | Reply With Quote
Axles went in but there is a lot of juttering from the left rear, diff end, must be something loose as the axle has a ton of play

Motor went in too

Not that you can see it under the heatsink
(Last edited by riderinblack : 2.26.17 at 6:29 pm)
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 2.27.17, 12:10 am Post #26: | Reply With Quote
Testing the lights out last night I remembered something, I wanted the headlights to strobe, darn! Currently trying to figure out a way to make that happen.

"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 2.27.17, 7:06 pm Post #27: | Reply With Quote
To the one guy still reading this, check it out man lights came in!
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 2.28.17, 7:07 pm Post #28: | Reply With Quote
Need some help from a wiser mind than mine. Being a 4x4 noob myself, I can't figure this one out.

Symptoms: left rear axle wobble diff side, exaggerated greatly by rpm.

Upon removing the diff, left stub axle feels loose (has play)

Upon disassembling the diff I can find no cause.

Bearings feel/look great
Gears have wear but all look great, no missing teeth
Case looks good no visible warping
Orings on stub axles are intact
Left stub axle had a washer the right did not, washer is intact

Questions:

Does the diff have shims inside the diff case or does it just ride on the bearings?

Can I add shims?

Does the X01 diff have less Slop?
If so where can I pick one up for cheap?
(Last edited by riderinblack : 2.28.17 at 7:11 pm)
"Duratrax Racer"
WWaveform - 2.28.17, 8:06 pm Post #29: | Reply With Quote
So you're saying that the stub axle is wobbling?

I've experienced something like that with my EXO Terra. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I do know that the whole diff was eventually replaced (for different reasons). I think I shimmed it with a plastic washer.

Honestly though, my first thought is bearings even though you say they feel fine. Wouldn't hurt to try out a new set.
Small Scale Bashers @YouTube

Axial EXO Terra, Axial SCX10 II, Helion Dominus 10TR, Kyosho FO-XX, Losi Mini-T, Duratrax Nitro Evader BX
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 2.28.17, 8:31 pm Post #30: | Reply With Quote
If I'm holding just the diff, out of the case with no bearings I can wiggle the stub axle quiet a bit. I'm beginning to think my diff cup is worn out.