Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 7.16.17, 1:04 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
Seriously considering the 22T 3.0, though I've got my eye's set on the Tekno EB410 for my next kit

Not sure what classes will stick around when the turf track opens in a couple weeks, I can't wait!
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
tsair - 7.16.17, 2:23 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
Seriously considering the 22T 3.0, though I've got my eye's set on the Tekno EB410 for my next kit
I'm thinking of getting an EB410 as well, really curious what it looks like. I suspect there are going to be a lot of used B64's for sale at that time..!

I've already bought 4 kits in the last 7 months, I think my wallet needs to take a break!
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 7.16.17, 2:33 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
While I agree that HPI was once considered a race grade brand that could be trusted, I would raise caution that brand no longer exists (the way we once knew it)... HPI (and Hot Bodies) went bankrupt and was chopped up and the names sold to off to new distributors, even the OEM who made their parts (SOAR) has parted ways.

So the HPI we see today is a completely different brand and is in the process of trying to recover from a stained reputation, I don't believe they are targeting club racers and lack support for modern geometry/tuning options which leave a disappointing experience on many levels for racers trying to get into the mix.

I'd much rather promote ECX before HPI for someone just wanting to get into club racing on the cheap.

That said, I would ONLY truly recommend a platform with sponsored drivers that have already spent the time to tune and provide quality setup sheets... brands that I would trust for decent setups for 2WD ST are just what Kingy already recommended... a couple other budget options that I might consider are TeamC (also making a comeback) and possibly the Kyosho RT6

Regardless, my personal preference is Losi, I absolutely love Frank Root's setup's, they are VERY stable and easy to drive, the man is a genius!

***UPDATE
Oh and more food for thought here:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=240429
Yes I failed to mention that, it's the main reason why I haven't bought another Firestorm.

He could always be a Guinea pig and buy a Rage Rc R10ST, it looks like a good kit, rtr brushless, mid motor, adjustable links, threaded shock bodies, but the platform is new and untested. I've only been able to find one video for it, but it was just a show and tell. No threads on it yet, RC hobby explosion has 2 vague reviews for it.

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

(Last edited by slick2500 : 7.16.17 at 2:47 pm)
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 7.16.17, 3:13 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
nice find... looks like a great basher!
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 7.16.17, 3:21 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
nice find... looks like a great basher!
And only $179.95 plus shipping https://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/ShoppingCart.asp so far this place, Kmart, Walmart, ebay and Amazon have parts for it that I have found in a quick Google search.
(Last edited by slick2500 : 7.16.17 at 3:26 pm)
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 7.16.17, 3:31 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
that logo just cracks me up:

kinda reminds me of this art sculpture:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3731981.html

"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 7.16.17, 3:49 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
slick2500 said
Despite what Kingy says the Firestorm is based off a racing platform so it will be a pretty good racer, tons of adjustments stock, threaded bodied shocks, adjustable links all around, comes with optional rear suspension mounts, optional shock pistons, at least the Firestorm 10T nitro does anyway. I would think the Flux would come with the same stuff. Sure it's a rear motor but rear motor vehicles can still be competitive. When searching for upgrades for the Firestorm look for stuff for the Hpi Blitz, which the Firestorm is based off of, and as far as I know people still race the crap out of the Blitz.
A little bit backwards there; the blitz is based on the firestorm platform. It's an OK platform, but not on the same level as modern mid motor designs. Plus it won't help the op with the inherent issue of switching between a rear and mid layout on race days which from personal experience can be tough, especially when one works great and the other is struggling.

That new mid motored basher truck looks interesting, but I would not like to be the Guinea pig. Just because it's mid doesn't mean it works. The old losi strike was mid motor and a great example of what doesn't work
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 7.16.17, 4:19 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
Kingy said
A little bit backwards there; the blitz is based on the firestorm platform. It's an OK platform, but not on the same level as modern mid motor designs. Plus it won't help the op with the inherent issue of switching between a rear and mid layout on race days which from personal experience can be tough, especially when one works great and the other is struggling.

That new mid motored basher truck looks interesting, but I would not like to be the Guinea pig. Just because it's mid doesn't mean it works. The old losi strike was mid motor and a great example of what doesn't work
Oh I was always under the impression that the Blitz came out first.
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Experienced user"
thorwil - 7.17.17, 2:10 am Post #19: | Reply With Quote
The Firestorm came out in 2008, Blitz 2009, according to rcscrapyard.net.