Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Backyard Basher"
BaselessEarth12 - 4.02.17, 6:11 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hello, all! It's been a while since I've posted on the SC forum about my Slash... To date, it has been thrashed, crashed, and smashed, but has taken everything in stride. Until I got the Revo Spool in, that is... I wanted a spool for better traction on rocks and in deep snow, and it worked great! For about 5 minutes... One drive shaft completely fell out (top yoke broke, hub yoke disintegrated), the other kinda just started flapping in the breeze... Anyway, I want to keep the spool, as it is pretty much unstoppable with it, but the old stock axles couldn't hold up to the abuse. What can I do for rear axles that won't constantly grenade themselves? I'm completely lost as to what to do, because nowhere has an answer to my question.

P.S. The Revo Spool is an actual Revo Spool. The drive yokes fit the stock axle u-joints with some, uh, "minor" persuasion (see: 3 guys, two pairs of pliers, and a hammer; then just myself for the second), but the rest of the axle doesn't quite hold up. Because the uni isn't coming out without cutting, I'd like to use either a stock-style axle (universal joints at both ends), rather than getting a steel axle that fits the output shaft AND the drive hub, because of course the Revo spool has a larger output.
"Experienced user"
LaserPower - 4.02.17, 7:57 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Your cramming might have created a bind that caused the driveshaft to break. But why taking a long route? Just fill the original diff with really thick diff fluid. 1 million or 500k is thick enough. Otherwise fill the diff with jb weld and you have a spool...I can't see a very good reason to use a revo spool.
"Backyard Basher"
BaselessEarth12 - 4.02.17, 1:28 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I wanted to use the spool, because I originally thought that it would be a bolt in affair. The stock diff was starting to slip, and the axles were in rough shape anyway, so I figured that a spool would work out without much issue. There is no binding within the limits of travel on my current suspension setup.
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 4.04.17, 9:53 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
For a quick (and most importantly) light weight spool or locked Diff, don't use putty or jb weld. Too heavy, too much rotating mass and won't dry evenly (wobbles). Use gorilla glue or expanding foam. The gorilla glue bubbles as it drys leaving a hard foamy mass, and well the expanding foam.... Expands.... Both will give you a lightweight locked Diff.

A very important upgrade a lot of people over look when locking their Diff is the slipper clutch (the last line of defense your axles have) . A good consistent and reliable slipper will add a bit of survivability to your drive train.
"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "