Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Stupid is as stupid does"
SLASHBASHIN - 3.20.13, 1:02 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Here is a simple how to, if you find yourself breaking stock 5mm stub axles on the traxxas steel splined driveshafts for the slash 4x4 and stampede 4x4. I run on 2s lipo with a castle creations 1410 motor and that managed to break stock 5mm stub axles. So i figured somebody has got to be wondering how to do this.

STEP 1
Buy the stub axles.
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...ctCode=TRA6453

STEP 2
Buy the bearings.
http://www.fasteddybearings.com/6x11...ing-mr116-2rs/
This is the only bearing website i could find that had this size bearings. I ordered from them and shipping was fast and everything was easy.

STEP 3
Disassemble/Re-assemble your traxxas CVD's.
This can be accomplished by removing the dust boot on the stub axle side of your cvd. Then remove the center pin that the entire cvd rotates around. It is not held in by any screws so just push it out. Then pull the steel shaft out of the stub axle cup. Then replace the old stub axle with the new XO1 6mm stub axle. Re-assemble the CVD as you took it apart.

STEP 4
Remove and replace the bearings
Take your old bearings out and hold on to them because you never know when youll need some bearings. Then take the new bearings and put them in the hub carrier.

STEP 5
Drill out your old plastic hex adapter.
Now i would recommend you have some new hex adapter just in case you mess this part up. It is crucial that you drill strait through to hex to keep it from being out of balance. I used some vice grips to secure the hex while i drilled. I used a 1/4 size drill bit and it was a tiny bit big but it worked. I put that in my normal power drill. If you have a drill press i would recommend using that for more precision.

STEP 6
Install the CVD's
Now hook the CVD's up to your diff output and then put them through the hub carrier. Take the original pin stub axle pin and put it through the 6mm stub axle. Take your newly drilled out hex adapter and push them onto the pin. Their will be play side to side on you hex adapter because the stub axle pin isnt quite big enough in thickness but this will go away when you tighten down your wheel on the axle.

STEP 7
Put your wheel on
I sure hope you know how to do this or else you probably shouldn't have attempted this mod in the first place.

YOUR DONE. This is a relatively simple mod because it only required one hand modded part. You will now have very durable stub axles.
(Last edited by SLASHBASHIN : 3.20.13 at 1:48 pm)
"Experienced user"
angus - 3.20.13, 2:08 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting this, I have been posting about this for a long time in various other threads but it is good to have it's own thread.
SLASHBASHIN - 3.20.13, 6:37 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
yup and thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. The truck is running very well now thanks to you.
"Experienced user"
erevo1*16 - 3.20.13, 9:07 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Or just buy the tekno shafts....

Or (for the hubs) just buy the tekno 12mm hubs. (either plastic or alloy.)
My Tastes are simple:
I am easily satisfied with the best.
-Sir Winston Churchill
"Experienced user"
angus - 3.20.13, 10:23 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
erevo1*16 said
Or just buy the tekno shafts....

Or (for the hubs) just buy the tekno 12mm hubs. (either plastic or alloy.)
Yes, I think the Tekno are more reliable, as I have said I have broken many of the traxxas shafts - they still have a "cool" factor though...

The tekno hubs still require drilling.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 3.20.13, 11:52 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
6x11s are just a bad idea. I tried that route, and blew all four of them out in the span of two packs. So you're trading bearing strength for axle strength. If you use XO-1 or Tekno carriers, you can use proper bearings. I've run Maxx shafts with 6mm axles by using Tekno carriers, 6x15x5 inners and 6x12x4 outers. There is no strength comparison between a 6x11x4 and a 6x15x5.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
SLASHBASHIN - 3.21.13, 1:16 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Dr. Isotope said
6x11s are just a bad idea. I tried that route, and blew all four of them out in the span of two packs. So you're trading bearing strength for axle strength. If you use XO-1 or Tekno carriers, you can use proper bearings. I've run Maxx shafts with 6mm axles by using Tekno carriers, 6x15x5 inners and 6x12x4 outers. There is no strength comparison between a 6x11x4 and a 6x15x5.
Whats your setup? I absolutely hate aluminium stuff. So tekno is the only route from what your suggesting.
"Experienced user"
bigdug - 3.21.13, 2:37 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I concur, what is yer setup Dr. isotope, are u using any teflon spacers to keep the stub off the bearing carrier or is it not needed? I'm currently usin the 6x11's and they arent really ideal.
"Experienced user"
frankenstang - 3.21.13, 5:12 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I had a bad go with the 6x11mm bearings too. When they blow up and you see how incredibly tiny the actual balls are, you see why. Just swapped in my extra 0.5 degree hubs from my Tekno kit into the Slash 4x4. I used 6x12x4's on the outer and 6x15x5's on the inside. The 5mm width make up the difference in where the hex pin is on my Tmaxx axles. Going for a test bash at the local indoor track tonight.
"Experienced user"
RU4BN8 - 3.22.13, 1:47 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
With regards to the X-01 carriers, do they bolt right up to the slashes suspension or is modification needed? I'm looking into bullet proofing my drive train.