Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Boodaggy - 5.19.13, 4:52 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
So anyways folks long story short, my slash 4x4 seems to get hot to easy.
Originally with the vilineon system temps on 2s weren't so bad, but would still get high (155 f). stock tires, 13 t pinion 54 tooth spur. So I figured it was the typical traxxas motor and esc, Just getting hot.

I then purchased a dynamite 1:10 sc setup, 3900 kv motor with 130a max esc. I was reluctant to buy it, but the hobbyshop owner made me a decent deal on it. Now with the owners input, I went up to a 15 tooth pinion, on 2s it gets hot (will hit 160f easily if I let it) and a 3s gets as hot quicker.

I have no binding in the driveline, every bearing is brand new (I mean every bearing!) and even have a kingheadz motor mount in it. The truck rolls easy, and I dropped down to 13t pinion and 54 tooth spur and the temp still rises drastically.

My question is, what is the problem? Am I geared to low? I hate to believe that the stock velineon system is crap, and I even paid more money for a higher dollar crap dynamite system!

I don't understand how people can be running these other sct systems, such as castle mmp or sct setup with 15+ pinions?

What am I missing, please?
"Experienced user"
hunterjaypoole - 5.21.13, 10:10 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Hey man, you dident have to buy a new motor the stock ones fine!! You just need to get a fan or a heat sink, those things both cool down the motor! The motor gets hot nomatter what you do! If you want to go fast take of the body the body takes a way air and the motor dosent get cooled down! You should get a fan if it is that bad! Im runing a 13t 54 spur you fine get a heat sink or a fan!!
HUNTERJAYPOOLE
"Experienced user"
hunterjaypoole - 5.21.13, 10:13 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWMC9&P=M
HUNTERJAYPOOLE
"Experienced user"
vs511 - 5.21.13, 12:25 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Get this than that.
~I make Avatars~ iVS511 on YouTube!
"Experienced user"
xGALEBIRDx - 5.21.13, 2:39 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
higher kv and higher voltage will always generate more heat, also any resistance in the drivetrain will generate even more heat. you probably need to clean the bearings along with getting a fan to help the heat issue. the castle shroud is probably the best.
"Experienced user"
Boodaggy - 5.21.13, 2:51 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
all my bearings are brand new throughout the whole truck, I have a fan/heatsink combo on my motor and the esc already has one built in.

It just seems I cannot gear the truck low enough to keep temps on the motor in a decent range so I don't have to stop and let it cool every half of a battery (5000 mah) I even went down to an 11 tooth pinion and it still gets to 160f if I don't stop to let it cool.

There is no binding in my truck, it rolls freely and all the bearings are new. Im not new to r/cs, just new to brushless (nitro guy lol)

I just want to make sure Im not asking to much from electric r/c's.
"Experienced user"
xGALEBIRDx - 5.22.13, 9:25 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
that's a 540 motor right?
"Experienced user"
wontonschicken - 5.22.13, 9:29 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
What kind of driving style do you use? All or nothing? Or some feathering the throttle?
Wontonschicken! You catch em', we cook em'!!
"Experienced user"
Boodaggy - 5.22.13, 10:33 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Yes it is a 540 motor and my driving style is mostly all or nothing, though i do baby it sometimes and while the temps don't climb as fast they still get high eventually, an i expecting to much from the electrics? I mean is my driving style the problem?
"On The Summit"
1/16 Summit VXL - 5.22.13, 10:45 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
It sounds rediculous, but;
The lower you gear, the higher the heat goes. If you gear 17/54, it 'may' reduce your temps. Is your ESC hot or just regular? If it's regular, then what I told you is true. If it's hot, then you're geared WAY too high.
John 3:16, 14:6
ECX Circuit -GForce 3650 4000 kv, TGY SC120, stock chassis parts
TRX Summit VXL- RPM arms, MERV shafts, HR shock bodies, TGY-390, stock electros