Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
MBailey1977 - 12.17.13, 3:36 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
When traxxas released the Rallly vxl I immediately wanted one. After the first run I couldn't believe how much leaves, grass, and pine needles I found under the body! I have since converted it to a slash but it still feels up with debris. Any negatives to running a tray? Does the motor and esc get a lot warmer?
Outcast, DMT VE-R, Bushmaster, Talion, Yeti kit, 801xt brushless, Terremoto 8 and 10, 835e, Exo Terra, Slash 4x4 monster truck, Slash 2wd lcg, SC10B, SC10 4x4, Stampede 4x4, Savage XS, Slash lcg 4x4, MERV, Ultima DB, Rustler, Vendetta SC, Mini Trophy Truck, Prolite, Drift King, mini DT
"Vacationing user"
mdorn98 - 12.17.13, 4:23 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
I personally don't run one but I have heard they only increase temps slightly. If you don't already have one you can probably compensate the increase in heat with a fan and a few vent holes in the top of the tray.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 12.17.13, 5:15 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I have been reading good things about Dusty Motors shroud covers. They keep dirt out but let air in. My rally did the same thing, got even worse after upgrading to the Mamba system.
"Experienced user"
MBailey1977 - 12.17.13, 5:56 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I'm running a sc8 esc and trash keeps getting stuck in the fan causing it to quit running.
Outcast, DMT VE-R, Bushmaster, Talion, Yeti kit, 801xt brushless, Terremoto 8 and 10, 835e, Exo Terra, Slash 4x4 monster truck, Slash 2wd lcg, SC10B, SC10 4x4, Stampede 4x4, Savage XS, Slash lcg 4x4, MERV, Ultima DB, Rustler, Vendetta SC, Mini Trophy Truck, Prolite, Drift King, mini DT
"USMC (Ret)"
gillbily23 - 12.17.13, 6:46 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I have run the overtray and a Dusty Motors cover. The Dusty Motors cover works better but still allows a lot of fine dry dirt to accumulate in the chassis. I guess that is why they call them "Dusty Motors". It keeps out the rocks, grass, leaves, snow, etc. but it does increase the temps by 10 degrees or so. The overtray doesn't work nearly as good as it still alows larger items to get in the chassis and causes even more heat buildup. I cut some holes in the overtray for cooling and glued some of the Dusty Motors mesh to the holes to help keep stuff out. I run it without either of them now because I still had to stop the truck every now and then to dump stuff out from between the cover and body anyways. If only Traxxas would follow along with the flat aluminum chassis design to eliminate 90% of the problem.
Hmmm, what should we do today? Shall we go drifting, crawling, short course racing, mudding, rock racing, road racing, trailing, or just run them as fast as we can around the baseball field and create a dust storm?
"Experienced user"
TCK - 12.18.13, 12:41 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I bought it for my slash 4x4 lcg w/stock vxl system.. my esc is temp is ok.. just add a fan on the esc and motor..
"Experienced user"
Markus rc - 2.06.17, 2:13 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I have the Slash 4x4 all stock except metal axels and have the lcg over tray I only have one holed in the thing that looks like a spine (kinda) and it runs really well. After every hour runtime I only get really small amounts of sand and like 3 or 4 half centimeter rocks. I think that about 1/4 inch but not sure. It gets warm (not hot) after about 25 mins and I let it cool for 5 mins then I run it another 30 min. I would definitely recommend the lcg overtray for all Slash users. Btw I'm ordering a mamba monster 2 2200 kv combo, anyone know if it's just so smack it in or do I have to buy a custom mount? Thx,
"Experienced user"
Mxmumpwr - 2.06.17, 1:21 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I run TheToyz zipper cover and it's been fantastic. Had it about 4-5 years, first on my Dominus, now on my son's HCG Slash. As stated above, I found it to push temps up about 5-8 degrees, 10* if running hard in grass or such. I'm geared to allow that to still be very safe. Love the zipper, I even modified the bag to allow install of the HCG roll cage. The bag definitely keeps big stuff out and I'd estimate smaller dirt and rocks were cut in half - depending on how dusty terrain you run.
Slash 4x4 - HCG
Kraton - Basher (4s)
Raider Mega ('14) - strong chassis/weak electronics
Dromida Ominus - consistent and dependable.
"Experienced user"
SlashMaxx4x4 - 2.06.17, 5:49 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I am running the Dusty Motors cover and have no issue overheating with my MMX 2650kv geared 18/54 in my Slash 4x4. Its great for keeping most of the junk out of the chassis.
"Gone Racing"
"inadvertent durability tester"
oldnoob69 - 2.10.17, 7:18 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
+1 on the dusty motors shroud. i does hold a little heat though. i put fans on both the esc and the motor. i also put a few round holes in the windshield of the flo-tek body to help with air flow. temps are cool as a cucumber.