Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
ramos617 - 1.12.15, 1:33 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Ok so I thought the consensus on installing shock caps was they have to bottomed out on the threads
I've always done on all my shocks, all plastic, plastic with alum caps, aluminum bodied with plastic caps, and even full aluminum shocks, and it's always worked for me
It's been longer than I can remember since I've blown a shock cap.

Anyways I recently built up another slash, stock shocks and I got some new traxxas green alum shock caps and TiNi shafts all around. For the longest time I couldn't get the bladder to seat correctly and it would fold up while screwing down the shock cap and the shock would leak, I've put aluminum caps on ultras before and this never happened. I tryed green slime, no green slime, dry, new bladders, used bladders and it just kept seating incorrectly.
I'm rebuilding them again and so far with the cap not being bottomed out it seems to seal up pretty good. There's about 1mm of space from not being bottomed out and I'm guessing this is the ticket.

Any of you guys encounter anything like this, this is a first for me lol
[Savage Flux XL: MMM/1800kv]
[2013 Savage X 4.6]
[LCG Slash 2wd: SW/3800kv]
[Hobao H4e: 10.5T]<--For Sale
[Mini 8ight-T: HW 90a/4000kv]
"Experienced user"
ThePanda - 1.12.15, 5:21 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Usually you just place the bladder on the top of the shock and add the cap. Otherwise place it in the cap and fill in the cap and shock and do the flip and bleed out a little extra. Another option would be to cut out the bladders and run the shocks emulsion.
"Experiment user"
Rcwoody22 - 1.12.15, 5:38 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I've actually found that if i over-tighten my aluminum caps on my ultras that they leak, I think that it wrinkles up the bladder causing leaks and air bubbles. I would try just threading the cap down until the seal touches, then try tightening 1/8 of a turn after and see if it helps.
Traxxas : P4de/P2de (x2)/Jato 3.3
Dromida : DT4.18 | Hubsan : x4
Team Associated : rc10t4.2rs
Redcat : Everest-10
Tamiya : Hornet (re-release) | Rovan : Baja 5b (Hpi clone)
"Experienced user"
ramos617 - 1.12.15, 11:13 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Rcwoody22 said
I've actually found that if i over-tighten my aluminum caps on my ultras that they leak, I think that it wrinkles up the bladder causing leaks and air bubbles. I would try just threading the cap down until the seal touches, then try tightening 1/8 of a turn after and see if it helps.
Yep that's exactly what happened and that's exactly what I did last night
Haven't ran it yet but I will later, they seems to be good to go though

ThePanda said
Usually you just place the bladder on the top of the shock and add the cap. Otherwise place it in the cap and fill in the cap and shock and do the flip and bleed out a little extra. Another option would be to cut out the bladders and run the shocks emulsion.
No, I've never put the bladder on the shock 1st, always in the cap then screw it down a bit, push the shaft in, let it bleed and crank em down. It's always worked great for me.

I'd rather not cut the bladder since I would never be able to get all of the air out
[2013 Savage X 4.6]
"Experienced user"
ThePanda - 1.16.15, 3:23 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
its just a more consistent way to bleed the shocks. As far as cutting the bladder, that was the point, to run them emulsion. it lets air in with the oil. which gives a different feel to the shock.
"Experienced user"
ramos617 - 1.17.15, 7:56 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Ahh I see, well I'd rather not run emulsion lol
Looks like I was overtightening the shock caps
Installing the shock caps about 1mm before bottomed out did the trick and my shocks are not leaking anymore thanks guys
[2013 Savage X 4.6]
"Experienced user"
kenmtb - 4.03.17, 2:22 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Late entry here.
I will concur and say that overtightening the aluminum caps was the reason I could not get the air out also. Be careful seating the aluminum caps too because the tight fitting threads can disturb the bladder when you are seating and tightening the cap.
"Experienced user"
LaserPower - 4.03.17, 2:34 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Actually, are those bladders new or old? The only time this happened to me was due to old swelled bladder. They will never seat right if I put the bladder in the cap and then install cap on the shock body. They will continue to be sucked into the shock body on down travel. One way to get around this is to bleed the shock without caps on. Push the shaft in for the desired amout of rebound then seat the bladder on the shock body and wipe clean the excess oil. Then pull the shaft down slowly and gently holding the bladder top until the bladder gets suck in place and edge seated properly. Then screw on the cap. It should seal much better.

But then just get some new bladders...
"Experienced user"
LaserPower - 4.03.17, 2:38 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
ramos617 said
Ahh I see, well I'd rather not run emulsion lol
Looks like I was overtightening the shock caps
Installing the shock caps about 1mm before bottomed out did the trick and my shocks are not leaking anymore thanks guys
I found emulsion shocks are much quicker to build and works better in rough terrain anyways. You don't have to sit and wait for the bubble to escape.
"Experienced user"
kenmtb - 4.03.17, 8:15 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
The way to totally bleed your shocks is: fill the shocks half way. Grab the eyelet then pump them up and down while rotating. This gets rid of the bubbles quickly. Let them sit for a few min. Fill all the way until there is a little bit of concavity. Get a small round head screw and use that to gently seat the bladder in the shock body. There should be a little bit of oil forced out if you filled the shock enough. Use your finger to completely seat the bladder. At this point there should be NO air in the shock what so ever. The trick is to gently place the shock cap and get it threaded without disturbing the bladder. Then only tighten the cap till finger snug. Once you get the hang, your shocks will be butter smooth without the air.