Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Usable User"
2xRustler - 12.13.16, 5:29 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
lsear2905 said
Firstly - a 25% off coupon at TH won't work on a Sl4sh... try to go through to checkout, and you'll see Traxxas don't allow the use of discount coupons.

Secondly - a Platinum edition is a great idea, but run it on 2S first, you may find on dirt/gravel 2S gives you plenty of speed. Always remember all the power in the world is no good if the tires can't give you traction.

Thirdly - stock Sl4sh tires are utter rubbish, especially for where you're considering running. Proline Badlands are the way to go.
Right about the coupon.. You might get lucky that it slips through, but I doubt it.

The Platinum has some S1 compound BF Goodrich style tires that are actually pretty good. Wheelies and traction rolls on pavement and decent enough on dirt. try them before you toss them aside.

2s top speed was 33mph based on a smart phone GPS speedometer app. 3s is just fun, and if I remember correctly it was 43mph but much quicker off the line. 3s you will break rear shafts. I have had good luck with Integy XHD shafts on the rear. for $30 they have been great.

As far as back and forth with the kids, even if you plan on running 3s, just put it in training mode for them and it should be fine.

The platinum comes with the upgraded alloy slipper bearing holder installed
(Last edited by 2xRustler : 12.13.16 at 5:33 pm)
Breaking toys and making noise
"Experienced user"
Dcuda69 - 12.13.16, 7:22 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Lots of good info here. I agree that 4700kv isn't gonna like pushing a Slash 4x4 around.I also agree that those S1 BFGs are not bad at all...got them on my Ultimate as well. Grab the truck,a radio system and stick a good 2s pack in it and have fun. You'll soon discover which way you want to go with it and what will work best for you and the kids.

I went lower kv and higher voltage to keep heat down. Then I put the vxl/3500kv in a Craigslist Rustler...it's a great fit there on 2s plus it was a good reason to pick-up another RC...lol
Slash Ult. HW WP SC8/2150kv MIP King Headz
Rustler 3500kv VXL
"Experienced user"
crazymike - 12.15.16, 1:54 am Post #13: | Reply With Quote
Interesting to hear about the upgraded alloy bearing holder on the Platinum, would that apply to older Platinums/Ultimates as well - the ones with big bore and 2 pole VXL's?

Trouble with training mode is she is already using her XL5 Slash on full power setting with a 7 cell nimh, so training mode even on 3s could be a bit slow...

I'll ditch the 4700kv motor idea then...!!!
"Experienced user"
Mxmumpwr - 12.16.16, 6:26 am Post #14: | Reply With Quote
My recommendation is to check eBay and pick up a Slash roller for cheap. That way you can install your own electronics, body, and wheels. This saved me tons of money given I knew several upgrades I intended to do. I purchased my 7yo son a HCG Slash and figured if he got to the point of interest in racing, I'd simply do a LCG kit.

I installed a Castle Sidewinder SCT AND 3800 motor. It was fine on 2s - but it was much more responsive and faster after installing the MMP. I also picked up a set of Traxxas GTR shocks as well as constant velocity axles (6851R & 6852R). I also picked some RPM control arms, center diff, and headlock rims with various tire option for road and dirt. After a year of running the Slash on 2s (and once on 3s) I still have the stock plastic axles as well as the original shocks. They are still holding up great!
The only repair I've done (best I recall) due to breakage has been one front lca after hitting a curb. I just took the opportunity to finally install the RPM lca.

One recommendation I would absolutely make - especially since this truck will have a child driver, is get a roll cage. I have been thrilled by the one I got from Hot Racing, my son is still on his first body after a year because of that cage.
Slash 4x4 - HCG
Kraton - Basher (4s)
Raider Mega ('14) - strong chassis/weak electronics
Dromida Ominus - consistent and dependable.
"Vacationing user"
agusorgen - 12.16.16, 6:53 am Post #15: | Reply With Quote
nice rig man
"Experienced user"
SlashMaxx4x4 - 12.16.16, 8:29 am Post #16: | Reply With Quote
I also think the 4700kv is not big enough for the slash, I wouldn't go any higher in kv than 3700kv, It'll just overheat too fast.
"Gone Racing"
"Experienced user"
MirMirShay - 12.16.16, 9:50 am Post #17: | Reply With Quote
GoolRC S3670 2850KV 4 Poles Brushless Sensorless Motor for 1/8 1/10 RC Car B7P8 ,

My hubby owns 36-60,36-65,36-70,36-74 motors in his aluminum chassis losi ten mt. rpm ranges from 2600-3500kv. I showed him your post he thinks if going with a 3s lipo the motor i mentioned up top would be perfect for 3s bashing without heat issues. 120A WP SC8 esc is our chioce plus if you wanna get crazy and run 4s that motor and esc combo wont break a sweat.
traxxas fan girl and proud american , home of the brave and traxxas !!! Sometimes arm chair lawyer.

Traxxas emaxx 3905&3906, HPI Mini recon, Himoto bowie,
Traxxas 4-tec 2 gt ,Traxxas vxl rustler
"Experienced user"
MirMirShay - 12.16.16, 9:52 am Post #18: | Reply With Quote
Dcuda69 said
Lots of good info here. I agree that 4700kv isn't gonna like pushing a Slash 4x4 around.I also agree that those S1 BFGs are not bad at all...got them on my Ultimate as well. Grab the truck,a radio system and stick a good 2s pack in it and have fun. You'll soon discover which way you want to go with it and what will work best for you and the kids.

I went lower kv and higher voltage to keep heat down. Then I put the vxl/3500kv in a Craigslist Rustler...it's a great fit there on 2s plus it was a good reason to pick-up another RC...lol
+1 100% agree with everything you mentioned.. Btw my husband says hello from the other forum he sent you a pm before he got booted.
traxxas fan girl and proud american , home of the brave and traxxas !!! Sometimes arm chair lawyer.

"Experienced user"
Dcuda69 - 12.16.16, 10:08 am Post #19: | Reply With Quote
MirMirShay said
+1 100% agree with everything you mentioned.. Btw my husband says hello from the other forum he sent you a pm before he got booted.
Tell him I say Hi! I saw his pm and tried to reply but I was too late.
Slash Ult. HW WP SC8/2150kv MIP King Headz
Rustler 3500kv VXL
"Experienced user"
MirMirShay - 12.16.16, 2:17 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
Dcuda69 said
Tell him I say Hi! I saw his pm and tried to reply but I was too late.
Lol he is not to much of a forum person.. He said hi