Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 4.02.17, 2:23 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
"Quick while the 4x4 is down use me!" I heard

This awesome chassis by vet member Superb gets call to action.

So far it's a parts build but it's just so damn fun I keep modding it. It got the front front suspension set up from the class1/trophy slash minus the protract mod (long story) and the rear suspension from what ever I could find.

It started out with some cheap 15 dollar rear shocks that stunk worse than a wet skunk. I decided this chassis deserved better so I dug through some boxes and found these unknown 100mm shocks, threw some ultra shocks parts in the mix and finished with dual stage powerstroke springs I had laying around.

The electronics so far are a joke. 3650? Hobbyking motor (came off an old desert buggy) a 45 amp esc and a surprisingly good solar servo pulled off a red bull rally 2wd, the battery to add insult to injury and a hint of danger is a 7200mah 3s SMC pack (evil laughter).

The body is the old class1 bajr with a whole lot of repairs. This body is old and beat up.

As soon as I figure out how to remove the destroyed bearing from the 4065 2700kv motor its going in there along with an SC8 esc.

Minor, almost unnoticeable slop was removed thanks to atomik rc parts
(Last edited by riderinblack : 4.02.17 at 2:29 am)
"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 4.02.17, 2:31 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote

ID like to get some modern leds for it and an aluminum bell rank. The steering has about as much slop as the wheels did and that's saying a lot. Many may upgrades are planned.

Tomorrow it hits the track for a shake down test
(Last edited by riderinblack : 4.02.17 at 2:34 am)
"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "
"Experienced user"
scary97gt - 4.02.17, 3:23 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Very cool, I live throw together builds. I'm in the process of one myself, also a 2wd Slash. Looking forward to your progress.
"Experienced user"
Jay-Em - 4.02.17, 5:48 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Nice bit of Frankensteining.

By the by. Not áll HK electronics here are a joke. That 3300kv is a surprisingly good motor. Cheap as nails, and distributed under a zillion brand names, but it has plenty power and is surprisingly sturdy. I got three of them ( 3 x Turnigy DB, hence , 3 ) and none of those has failed me yet.

One got dunked in a failet jet-drive experiment, another went all submarine in a ditch, and the third burnt a nice half-moon in my inner arm. 3s on low gearing mėght have been a tad much... :P So, be conservative when gearing for 3s.

But they all kept on running. The 45amp esc that comes with the DB ? Well.. Yeah.. That's been a hit & miss. They have a habit of losing their settings when overloaded, also, those HK 45's were prone to letting-out the Holy Smoke. But I haven't cooked one of the newer generation yet.
(Last edited by Jay-Em : 4.02.17 at 6:02 am)
"Basically, they're still toys.."
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 4.02.17, 9:11 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
You've had way better luck than me.

When I first got that buggy, right out of the box (I believe it was geared for about 26mph) motor hit 175 and esc hit 150. And that's in a super light weight buggy with a tiny drag coefficient and all bearings smooth as silk. Tried gearing it lower to no avail. Then the esc decided it was too macho for a fan and decided to send full power to it frying the fan. I gave up, Frankensteined a 272 tranny in there and ran the velineon from there on out.

For a 10 dollar motor its OK but it is far FAR from good. Now a days I don't even check the Temps on it, if it goes it goes I don't care there is a vxl3s and an 8th scale system waiting their turn.

After a few 3s runs surprisingly enough it refuses to die but I feel like that might change soon. I honestly think the only reason it hasn't collapsed into a tiny underpowered black hole is the hot racing tranny with cooling fins and the heat sink.

Auto correct wanted to tell a different story
(Last edited by riderinblack : 4.05.17 at 10:21 am)
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 4.02.17, 9:13 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Light buckets found a temporary home. Also here you can see some of the repairs that had to be done
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 4.02.17, 3:52 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Problems arise....

Diff is useless, probably empty I'm definitely going to have to fix that. It diffs out if you look at it wrong.

Steering seams.... Limited.... Might have something to do with all the slop in the bell crank.

I've been away from 2wds for a while, can anyone recommend a good servo saver?
"Experienced user"
scary97gt - 4.02.17, 4:48 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
The best servo saver for a 2wd Slash is no servo saver in my opinion. I run aluminum bellcranks with a metal geared servo and a regular plastic horn ( for a break away point) in my lcg Slash, going on two years now with this setup and only one time I've replaced the plastic horn. It was completely due to driver error.
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 4.02.17, 11:40 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
No damaged servos in all that time? I'm highly skeptical of running without a servo saver but willing to give it a shot. Definitely don't want to damage this servo, one of my favorites.
"Experienced user"
scary97gt - 4.03.17, 2:23 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
No damaged servos. That's why I went with a metal gear high torque servo/plastic horn setup. I installed the plastic horn as a breaking point to avoid damage to the servo. On anything faster than a crawler there really should be some sort of intended weak point in the steering to save the servo. I've never been fond of servo mounted savers which is why I tried this setup, and really the plastic horns are cheap and it's pretty easy to replace if it let's go plus the steering is so much more precise with the aluminum cranks and no saver.