Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
scary97gt - 4.02.17, 3:43 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I'm looking for cooler temps and maybe a touch more speed but nothing crazy. This 4x4 already has a Mamba Max Pro ESC and a 3800kv motor. I swapped out the motor for the Leopard 4065 size 2450kv and on 2s it ran beautiful, just slow. Do you guys think the Mamba Max Pro can handle this motor on 3s if geared accordingly?
"brushed motors are fast too"
thebasher255 - 4.02.17, 8:39 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
I would say so. Ran almost the exact same setup in my slash 4x4 for a while. Might want to go with an external bec if the esc starts having issues, but that should be about it.
Smell something burning? Sorry, I was thinking.
"Experienced user"
vintage - 4.02.17, 11:32 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
The more cells you use for a given speed, the easier it is on the ESC and motor, the mmp can handle 6s. If geared for x speed (say 40mph) on y cells (say 4s), with motors of similar efficiency, the motor's size isn't going to affect the load on the ESC much (really it's weight and efficiency are the only things that will affect the load on the ESC once the speed and number of cells is set).
"Experienced user"
scary97gt - 4.02.17, 2:27 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I figured I'd probably be ok, just wanted some opinions to back up my gut feeling. Thanks for the replies.
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 4.02.17, 11:56 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I run the 2700kv version and can tell you from experience almost all sub 3k kv motors will feel slightly sluggish on 2s. They really need 3-4s to work to their full potential. My motor will run fine on 2s,nice and cool, but it is noticeable less peppy than a 3500kv on 2s. Once on 3s that goes away. But....... This is just my experience as I only run 3s-4s, I don't have a ton of experience with 2s and therefore can't judge them correctly. From the few times I ran my truck on 2sand my gfs on 2s I noticed mine was (although torquier) a tad slower with an 800kv difference (2700/3500)

(Last edited by riderinblack : 4.02.17 at 11:58 pm)
"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "
"Experienced user"
scary97gt - 4.03.17, 6:07 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Oh it's definitely going to be run in 3s. My goal was to have similar if not slightly better speed and torque than the Castle 3800kv but cooler temps.
"Experienced user"
scary97gt - 4.03.17, 6:11 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
The Castle has good power and decent temps on 2s with stick gearing but it wasn't a big improvement over the Velineon in my opinion. On 3s the 3800kv motor is great power wise but I just can't get a good blend of performance and temps hence the desire to go more efficient with higher voltage lower kv. Hopefully I can get what I'm after. Thanks for all the feedback.
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 4.04.17, 9:44 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
What speeds/Temps you looking for?
"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "
"Experienced user"
scary97gt - 4.05.17, 2:33 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I'm not sure of an exact number because I don't have radar gun to test how fast the truck actually goes now. I do know that my current temps on a 90f day after a 25 minute run are around 155-165 on the motor and 140-150 on the ESC that's just an average range, it all depends on how I run the truck obviously. I have hit 170 on the motor a couple times and I'm not at all comfortable with that number. It also feels like the truck needs just a bit more but if I gear it up any higher it'll really get hot. I'm running stock 13/54 gearing by the way.
"Experienced user"
Dcuda69 - 4.06.17, 4:44 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Personally I would hit that thing with the 3s and gear it 17 or 18/54 to start. I doubt you'll have heat issues and I'll bet you'll have a smile on your face. Obviously watch temps and gear accordingly. Have fun and report back....Leopard lists a number of different motors that interest me.
Slash Ult. HW WP SC8/2150kv MIP King Headz
Rustler 3500kv VXL