Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
GeoGoGo - 5.04.17, 6:33 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping I could get some help with a question. It takes about 4 hours for my battery to fully charge. That doesnít seem normal to me but this is my first foray into the RC world. It is quite possible I have no idea what I am taking about.

I have a SKYRC iMAX B6AC v2 charger and I will admit right off the bat, I really do not know how to properly use it. I connect the battery, it runs its battery check and I let it run with the default settings. I have a HobbyStar 8000mAh, 7.4V, 2S, 100C hardcase LiPo.

I donít know how to set up the charger properly. I can plug it in and use it but I donít think I have it set up the right way. Would anyone be able to help me out and give me some ideas how to set it up correctly or Is the almost 4 hour charge time normal?

I appreciate hearing any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, or opinions. Thank you all in advance very much for the time. Have a fantastic day!

Here are a couple links for your reference.

HobbyStar LiPo
http://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-800...o-battery.html

SKYRC iMAX B6AC v2
http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...product_id=217

Respectfully,
George D.
"Experienced user"
Noel2 - 5.04.17, 8:02 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
If you're charging at 1c, which means 1 x capacity, it should take around an hour. You want to charge at 1c because it's safe, and most battery's that I know of can only take 1 capacity. There are some that can take 2c, 3c, etc..

For that specific battery, you should be charging at 7.4v (2s lipo) and 8 amps. Why?

Because the amps you charge at is the capacity of the battery. So if I had a 2000 mAh 2s lipo, I would charge at 2 amps, 7.4v

So every 1000 mAh equals 1 amp. 4000 mAh= 4 amps. And so on.

Voltage depends on the amount of cells in the battery. The nominal voltage of each cell is 3.7v, so a 2 cell lipo (also known as 2s) would charge at 7.4v. A 3s, at 11.1v. And so on.

However, the charger you have is only capable of charging at 6 amps. So you won't be able to charge at 1c, it will take longer than an hour.

I don't think it should take 4 hours though. Watch a how to charge lipos with a 4 button balance charger video, it's the same process for basically all chargers.
(Last edited by Noel2 : 5.04.17 at 8:13 am)
"Experienced user"
GeoGoGo - 5.04.17, 8:28 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Thank you very much for the help, Noel2! I will check out YouTube!
"Experienced user"
Noel2 - 5.04.17, 9:48 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Anytime! I'm glad to help. Charging batteries is confusing at first but once you learn the basics it's really simple.
"Experienced user"
wopachop - 5.04.17, 10:09 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
The issue you have is the charger is only 50watts and 6a.

Your battery would take 65watts and 8a if doing a 1c charge like Noel explained.

You don't really want you run electronics at max. I've read 80% is the safe range. So to charge at 65watts you would ideally have a charger rated at....whats the math around 80w?

For big RC lipos the smaller 50 and 80watt chargers are not the best choice. For now it works, and for smaller 1500mah batteries they're ok.
"inadvertent durability tester"
oldnoob69 - 5.04.17, 6:56 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
GeoGoGo said
Thank you very much for the help, Noel2! I will check out YouTube!
In the end you may require a new charger to see timely results. 8 amps is a bit more than most basic chargers can supply.
"Experienced user"
jvidal - 5.05.17, 3:51 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I will take advantage of this, is a 100w charger enough for a 6300mah 3s battery?
"Experienced user"
wopachop - 5.05.17, 7:44 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Amps x Volts = watts.

You can play with equation however you need.

Generally speaking a 50 or 80 or 100watt charger is not enough. Most people these days don't charge at 1c, and also don't charge 1 battery at a time.
"Experienced user"
GeoGoGo - 5.05.17, 8:22 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Well, once I got the charge configured correctly for my battery, it took just over 90 minutes to balance charge it! I am very pleased!

Thank you all for the help. It is greatly appreciated! TGIF and have a great weekend everyone!
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 5.05.17, 11:30 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
jvidal said
I will take advantage of this, is a 100w charger enough for a 6300mah 3s battery?
Enough for what, a 1C charge rate? You need a charger that can supply 80w minimum, so 100w should be OK to charge at 6.3.

In short though, but the best charger you can afford. I went through a few cheap sub 100w chargers before finally biting the bullet and buying a decent high power setup. It's great taking less than 10 minutes from storage to fully balanced and ready to go.
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]