Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
REV - 4.20.17, 4:06 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi guys, been a long time since I've posted here. Lost all my RC in a flood and have been trying to rebuild for a while.

Anywho, I've recently been watching a lot of stadium super truck racing on YouTube and remembered I had a 2wd brushless slash a while back. I was "mad" because it wasnt 4wd back in the day, because I had a hard time making it go straight.

So, with all that said, I want to pick up a truck and start tinkering with it to get it to drive & look like the trucks that I've been watching

Im thinking another slash 2wd, but what about suspension? Back when I had mine, it was all about 0 body roll and low, but the real things are tall and will lift a wheel in turns. I want that.

Can yall suggest anything, like truck & suspension setups?

In case anyone hasnt seen the real deals: https://youtu.be/wyk24-oOYZU
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 4.20.17, 4:19 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
I'm a little confused, do you want fast or something that looks like what you see on tv?

If you want fast, grab an sc5m, losi 22sct or durango desc210r and you'll have no issues

if you want to look like the posted video, go an axial yeti score or losi baja rey. both are 4wd, but are independent front suspension with solid axle rear, loads of travel and will look very scale going round corners
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"Experienced user"
REV - 4.20.17, 4:22 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
The trucks in the video are 2wd. Id like to try to make it "scale" if I can. Im one of those weirdos who used to do rock crawling with an axial and had all the little doo dads to make it look like the real thing.
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 4.20.17, 4:25 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
REV said
The trucks in the video are 2wd. Id like to try to make it "scale" if I can. Im one of those weirdos who used to do rock crawling with an axial and had all the little doo dads to make it look like the real thing.
Yeah, I know that, but as I asked, do you want to go fast, or do you want it to look like the video?

There are no solid rear axle independent front trucks on the market. You can remove drive to the front with either of the two trucks I listed, but they will handle terribly as they are not designed to run 2wd.

Nothing weird about being into scalers, its a very popular segment of the hobby and one of the few that is still in a solid growth. I'm quite into it myself.
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 4.20.17, 5:08 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Losi Baja Rey looks like those, front independent suspension and rear solid axle. http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...dID=LOS03008T2
(Last edited by slick2500 : 4.20.17 at 5:11 pm)
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 4.20.17, 6:04 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Baja Rey or the Axial. Both are 4wheel drive. Not sure how it do as 2 wheel drive.
"Experienced user"
rustydrift - 4.20.17, 6:19 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Not sure about the Baja Rey, but with the Axial score, the rear can be kicked out and slid through the corners like a 2wd, but the 4wd helps you keep it in check. I think in this scale, you want the 4wd, it will still look similar to the full size rig, but you will have more fun because it will still be controllable.
"Experienced user"
Backyard RC - 4.20.17, 6:48 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your collection.
As mentioned, the Axial score trophy truck and the Losi Baja Rey are the two best candidates. You can probably disable the front drive and run only in 2wd. I don't have either truck but in some of my vehicles the set screw came loose on the drive shaft and I only have rwd or fwd, depending on the screw.

This is probably what you want. This young guy designs and builds his own and they're amazing. He's pretty good at putting together videos too.

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

Tekno SCT 410.3, Arrma Kraton, Traxxas Slash 4x4, Tacon/LC Racing Rally/SCT/MT x3, Losi Mini 8ight, Carisma M10DB, Axial AX10 Deadbolt, Vaterra Ascender '72 Bronco, Thunder Tiger Kaiser XS, Sky RC SR5 Super Rider
"Experienced user"
REV - 4.20.17, 7:16 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Backyard RC said
Sorry to hear about your collection.
As mentioned, the Axial score trophy truck and the Losi Baja Rey are the two best candidates. You can probably disable the front drive and run only in 2wd. I don't have either truck but in some of my vehicles the set screw came loose on the drive shaft and I only have rwd or fwd, depending on the screw.

This is probably what you want. This young guy designs and builds his own and they're amazing. He's pretty good at putting together videos too.

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

Good christ that things neat. Yeah, it kinda looks like the yeti is what Im looking for, altho the jury is out still. I need to figure what Id really like to do overall.
"Experienced user"
M n M - 4.22.17, 8:02 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
As already mentioned, without doing a custom rig like the "Zues" in the video, you're probably going to have to take a 4wd and remove the front drive shaft to make it 2wd. I've done this with my Axial Yeti TT, Like Kingy said... 4wd RCs aren't designed to run 2wd. It handles very differently. I've some Slash's seriously modified to a solid rear axle. With some adjustments, you can make a 4wd vehicle handle ok as a 2wd. But it's the camber/caster settings that makes the difference. You'll also have to take the short wheelbase into consideration. In the 1:1 scale world the SST are much shorter than Short Course or Baja trucks. SST's are about a 104" wheel base and trophy trucks stretch to 124". So some body modifications may be in order so it has the "Scale" look.
If it ain't broke... Modify it. If it's broke... Upgrade it!!