Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"inadvertent durability tester"
oldnoob69 - 11.15.16, 3:05 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
cool man, nice job!
"Experienced user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 11.15.16, 4:35 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
That holmes hobbies motor is pretty neat, i bet that 11t gets around nice! Is it a single wind or more? What Dia. is the comm? Please share with the class.
Florida Oval Racer | Vintage traxxas collector | Mad Scientist
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 11.15.16, 4:51 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
Good question, I think it's single-wind but I haven't taken it apart to find out. The comm is the larger of the two standards sizes -- 10mm I think?
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Experienced user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 11.15.16, 5:58 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
Probably get some good torque out of that!
Florida Oval Racer | Vintage traxxas collector | Mad Scientist
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 11.15.16, 7:36 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
Yeah, it can easily pop a wheelie if it can get enough traction.
"Eat, Sleep, Lego, RC, Youtube,"
STIGCRAFTER - 11.16.16, 3:47 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
Love the paint job on the body. Nice work.
"Bambidexterous: When you can skin a deer with both hands" - Mike Falzone

Instagram: @stigcrafter Youtube: STIGCRAFTER
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 11.16.16, 6:49 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
Thanks! I wish I could take credit for the paint job, but I'll console myself with not watching my work get beaten up as the body ages.
"Experienced user"
St. George - 11.26.16, 1:02 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
The LCG 2wd Slash is a great platform. Great job on your project!
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 3.21.17, 11:35 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
A couple updates to this truck:

First of all, I finally got around to replacing the Traxxas slipper clutch with a Team Associated slipper clutch, with the assistance of a special top-shaft made by STRC:

I was actually fine with the operation of the Traxxas slipper clutch, but there are no 32-pitch spur gears available in the concave shape that the Slash requires to fit under its gear cover. Converting to the Team Associated slipper clutch allows me to use 32-pitch gearing for better durability if the gear mesh ever gets knocked slightly out-of-position, and as a side bonus this truck now uses the same slipper clutch parts as two other vehicles, so I only need one spare spur gear for all three of them. (my Arrma Raider also uses a Team Associated slipper clutch now, but it uses a smaller spur gear than the other 3 vehicles.)

While I was in there, I cleaned out the motor with CRC Electronics Cleaner spray. My god there was a lot of brush dust in there; the positive brush has significantly more wear on it than the negative brush, so I swapped the springs to see if I could even-out the wear a little.

Secondly, I took apart the steering assembly and replaced a couple plastic bits with aluminum bits from the STRC aluminum servo-saver kit:

The reason for not replacing the entire steering assembly, even though the STRC kit came with all the necessary parts, is that I HATE aluminum parts grinding against each other. Aluminum is a soft and sticky metal, and aluminum parts grinding against each other destroy each other in short order. With the "female" half of the servo-saver assembly replaced with aluminum, I get better durability because the V-shaped ramps won't stretch apart as the servo-saver ages, while the plastic "male" half won't grind against the aluminum part and damage it.

I still love this truck, even with its old-tech brushed motor. It handles really well and it's a pleasure to drive, even if it has a top speed of "only" 31mph.
(Last edited by fyrstormer : 3.21.17 at 11:38 pm)
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 3.22.17, 12:27 am Post #20: | Reply With Quote
Have you tried an aluminum on aluminum servo saver? The one in my rc8t is still the original kit part that would be 5+ years old, same with my rc8. Yeti is only just over a year old but also with no issues.
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]